Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 20, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #1,141 of 6,973
That just doesn't make sense to do.  You're treating the left and right side separately pretty much like a horribly matched set of tubes.  Plus there's the risk of damage to the amp.  Don't do it.

May 1, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #1,143 of 6,973
  I'm deciding between this and the Valhalla 2.. Will this amp to be paired with Gumby an overkill for my HD650 or B&O H8? Thanks.

I would highly recommend springing for the Mjolnir 2. For three main reasons.

1. Gumby/MJ2 is a beautiful looking and sounding stack, one which Jason Stoddard himself uses in lieu of Ygg/Rag stack.

2. Gumby excels with its balanced outputs. MJ2 is fully balanced for a balanced path from DAC through amp. Use balanced headphones for ultimate quality, or the single ended - allowing more options when it comes to headphones and mods.

3. MJ2's ability to switch between solid state and tubes. After using tubes a while, it is nice to use LISST for a baseline sound. Then back to tubes again. Keeps things interesting.

It's not overkill - it's an amp that you will not regret when you see it stacked on your Gumby and hear the made-to-be matching.

Bonus points for Mjolnir 2... use the additional single ended inputs with a turntable for intimate analog listening experience. Use the XLR outs for powered monitors and the single ended outs for a pair of subs.

May 1, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #1,144 of 6,973

I would highly recommend springing for the Mjolnir 2. For three main reasons.

1. Gumby/MJ2 is a beautiful looking and sounding stack, one which Jason Stoddard himself uses in lieu of Ygg/Rag stack.

2. Gumby excels with its balanced outputs. MJ2 is fully balanced for a balanced path from DAC through amp. Use balanced headphones for ultimate quality, or the single ended - allowing more options when it comes to headphones and mods.

3. MJ2's ability to switch between solid state and tubes. After using tubes a while, it is nice to use LISST for a baseline sound. Then back to tubes again. Keeps things interesting.

It's not overkill - it's an amp that you will not regret when you see it stacked on your Gumby and hear the made-to-be matching.

Bonus points for Mjolnir 2... use the additional single ended inputs with a turntable for intimate analog listening experience. Use the XLR outs for powered monitors and the single ended outs for a pair of subs.

I definitely agreed with you on the look of stacking the Gumby/MJ2 together, they just looks beautiful together.

And yes, one of the reason I wanted MJ2 is because of the XLR balanced output as I am planning to connect to my A7X active monitors too. If I'm going for Valhalla 2, I will have to buy a separate preamp for the volume control (Emotiva Control Freak $50). The point 3 you mentioned seems interestingly, I haven't thought of it before. 

So I'm leaning towards the MJ2 now.. I just got attracted by it's look..

May 2, 2016 at 2:42 AM Post #1,145 of 6,973
I have had Gumby/MJ2 for about a week now. I love it, the only thing I wish more is a remote for MJ2. At the beginning, I felt that LISS didn't sound as good as tube, but now, I think they are close, I couldn't tell the difference without critical listening. 

May 2, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #1,146 of 6,973
  I'm deciding between this and the Valhalla 2.. Will this amp to be paired with Gumby an overkill for my HD650 or B&O H8? Thanks.

Not overkill for the 650's. They will respond to the higher quality input. Go get some balanced cables at the big book store for them.

May 3, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #1,148 of 6,973
It's not quite an end-game setup, but it's damn close, and for the price blows everything else away. If there's any chance of upgrading headphones in the future it's a no-brainer. If you're determined not to—eh. Spending over 2k to drive a $400 headphone strikes me as a bit odd, but to each his own.

May 3, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #1,149 of 6,973
It's not quite an end-game setup, but it's damn close, and for the price blows everything else away. If there's any chance of upgrading headphones in the future it's a no-brainer. If you're determined not to—eh. Spending over 2k to drive a $400 headphone strikes me as a bit odd, but to each his own.
True. The headphone was bought when I was still in university. And now I have been working for a few years, and got some cash to spend to upgrade my gear.. The DAC was originally planning to match with my Adam A7X, but I also need a headphone amp and Mjolnir 2 looks great with the Gungnir.. I will upgrade my headphone in the future too.. Any good recommendation? LCD-2/3? Or Mr. Speaker?

May 3, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #1,150 of 6,973
I'd give the zmf omni a serious look. It's my favorite hp to date. the best built headphones out there . Fantastic detail and clarity. If you look in its thread here there are some recent thoughts and a few reviews. It responds beautifully to balanced power.

May 3, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #1,151 of 6,973
True. The headphone was bought when I was still in university. And now I have been working for a few years, and got some cash to spend to upgrade my gear.. The DAC was originally planning to match with my Adam A7X, but I also need a headphone amp and Mjolnir 2 looks great with the Gungnir.. I will upgrade my headphone in the future too.. Any good recommendation? LCD-2/3? Or Mr. Speaker?

To me, part of the question is whether you need a headamp that doubles as a balanced pre or not. Since you do, the MJ2 is definitely a big contender.

But as for an approach, I think you'll do better if decide what (relatively-affordable) "end-game" headphone suits your sonic preferences best (HD800, LCD-3, HE-6, HE-X, ZMF Omni, etc), and then pick an amp to drive it. If you want to stick with high-impedance dynamic cans, you may love the BH Crack + Speedball. Or maybe this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/806947/sennheiser-hdva-600-amp. If you want to go with the HE-6, you'll need a speaker amp. If you pick the LCD series, at least one member has said he prefers the Bryson to the MJ2. 

The thing that's hard about the MJ2 is that I haven't really heard a consensus on what headphones it has great synergy with and how it compares sonically to other amps known for driving those headphones well. For example, there's pretty much consensus that the Gustard H10 has incredible synergy with the HE-560 and there are plenty of posts on how it sounds compared to the Lyr2 and Liquid Carbon with the HE-560 specifically.

May 3, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #1,152 of 6,973
I'm learning firsthand how punishing the HE-6s are to their owners—almost to the point where I would recommend against purchasing them, given their now-discontinued status. The amp though seems fairly flexible—I haven't heard of any especially bad pairings.

May 3, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,153 of 6,973
Mjolnir came home today. Blown fuse. That was one expensive ass fuse! Why didn't they just put a fuse socket on the thing?

Until I find a better solution, I think I'll just leave it one from now on. So nice to have the stack back together.

Poor Asgard.

May 3, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #1,154 of 6,973
  Mjolnir came home today. Blown fuse. That was one expensive ass fuse! Why didn't they just put a fuse socket on the thing?

Until I find a better solution, I think I'll just leave it one from now on. So nice to have the stack back together.

Poor Asgard.

Seems like leaving it on all the time will leave the fuse more vunerable, not less. 

May 3, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #1,155 of 6,973

Seems like leaving it on all the time will leave the fuse more vunerable, not less. 

It blew during powerup. I suspect because of my powered monitors being connected and on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back