Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 30, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #886 of 6,955
  I've got some questions for those of you who've compared the M2 and the Ragnarok. Of course I have the obligatory multipage setup. 
biggrin.gif
 Current setup are HD600s being fed from files on a MacMini (Alac, Roon, Tidal, Audirvana) through a Bimby and Valhalla 2.  Everything I've enjoyed with this setup has convinced me a Yggy is in my future. I want to utilize a balanced setup although the V2 seems headphones fine in the meantime. Music is classical, jazz, acoustic, and re-experiencing the 70s & 80s with thoughtful engagement.

Discounting the extra power and connections of the Rag does it offer significant advantages over the Mjolnir 2? I'm convinced the Yggy is worth the upgrade over the Gumby however I don't have that same confidence in the Ragnarok. Yes, I would replace my Yamaha receiver to power the JBL Control 5s but I get most of my listening pleasure with headphones, perhaps because of the warmth of the V2 or the synergy of the dac/amp. HD800Ss might also end up on my stand with the 600s but I'm not perceiving the advantage of one amp over the other based upon features.
How do those familiar with both Schiit amps talk about their relative sound signatures with phones?
beerchug.gif

I'm a little confused. HD600s are little more than $200 used—you're thinking about a $1700 amplifier before upgrading your headphones? I would figure out what headphones you're hoping to acquire first, and then move onto the amp question. Is an HE6/1000 in your future? A K812? An LCD series? The Sennheisers are more than capable of sounding great on a Valhalla, even while that amp will hardly show them in all their (balanced) glory. Unless you want an HE6, I would spring for the flexibility of Mjolnir 2 every day of the week. The savings are merely gravy. If you do want the HE6, I would hold off until Schiit pulls off the same trick for Ragnarok 2 as they did for Mjolnir 2 or begin investigating speaker amps.

Footnote, HD800S looks interesting, though I take from the reviews the sense that while it's a better all-rounder than the 800, it's a step backward at classical—and can't actually compete with Audeze and Hifiman on popular genres of music.

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #887 of 6,955

I'm a little confused. HD600s are little more than $200 used—you're thinking about a $1700 amplifier before upgrading your headphones? I would figure out what headphones you're hoping to acquire first, and then move onto the amp question. Is an HE6/1000 in your future? A K812? An LCD series? The Sennheisers are more than capable of sounding great on a Valhalla, even while that amp will hardly show them in all their (balanced) glory. Unless you want an HE6, I would spring for the flexibility of Mjolnir 2 every day of the week. The savings are merely gravy. If you do want the HE6, I would hold off until Schiit pulls off the same trick for Ragnarok 2 as they did for Mjolnir 2 or begin investigating speaker amps.

Footnote, HD800S looks interesting, though I take from the reviews the sense that while it's a better all-rounder than the 800, it's a step backward at classical—and can't actually compete with Audeze and Hifiman on popular genres of music.

So bosiemoncrieff you can't answer my question however you want to play in my sandbox. Let's play.
wink_face.gif

Yes, you are confused. Perhaps it started when you overlooked my premises. The essential inquiry I'm making is based upon the assumption that an Yggdrasil is in my future. The Sennheiser HD600 will enjoy that content. This headphone may not be the latest brand of the month but it remains highly respected. It is endgame for lots of listeners who don't judge according to an inflation prone industry. That said, I'm trusting this community--while maintaining some rigor in my own inquiries--to cull those inquiries on the front end. 

I have a setup I enjoy a great deal. I know how I listen to my music and what brings me joy. If I purchase the Yggy, then which of these amps, according to my trusted community and without disregarding my own rigorous and well plied preferences, would they suggest? 

I am working a process, not fantasizing about all the products and possibilities. My process is necessarily limited according to a criteria unknown to you so it seems to me when you read you are inclined to respond with conventional wisdom and the flavor of the month, rather than ask a question of me that clarifies an unknown. I used to do that all the time; I don't so much any more unless I'm trying to play in someone else's sandbox, like now.

I apparently eliminated you from the discussion when I asked for folks who knew the sound of both the Mjolnir 2 and the Ragnarok. Funny thing about these forums though, we all want to play even if we don't have the tools or the sand to build a particular castle. Be patient. It will come to you eventually.

Thanks for reaching out and thanks for receiving my pointy words back toward you. I've been smiling while playing with you. Next time I'm in SF I'll buy you a beer 
beerchug.gif
 (uups, I don't know that you even drink beer!).

Jan 30, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #888 of 6,955
  I've got some questions for those of you who've compared the M2 and the Ragnarok. Of course I have the obligatory multipage setup. 
biggrin.gif
 Current setup are HD600s being fed from files on a MacMini (Alac, Roon, Tidal, Audirvana) through a Bimby and Valhalla 2.  Everything I've enjoyed with this setup has convinced me a Yggy is in my future. I want to utilize a balanced setup although the V2 seems headphones fine in the meantime. Music is classical, jazz, acoustic, and re-experiencing the 70s & 80s with thoughtful engagement.

Discounting the extra power and connections of the Rag does it offer significant advantages over the Mjolnir 2? I'm convinced the Yggy is worth the upgrade over the Gumby however I don't have that same confidence in the Ragnarok. Yes, I would replace my Yamaha receiver to power the JBL Control 5s but I get most of my listening pleasure with headphones, perhaps because of the warmth of the V2 or the synergy of the dac/amp. HD800Ss might also end up on my stand with the 600s but I'm not perceiving the advantage of one amp over the other based upon features.
How do those familiar with both Schiit amps talk about their relative sound signatures with phones?
beerchug.gif

Here's a comparison by Redog www.head-fi.org/t/731221/schiit-ragnarok-amplifier/1005#post_11987691

Jan 30, 2016 at 9:19 PM Post #890 of 6,955

So bosiemoncrieff you can't answer my question however you want to play in my sandbox. Let's play.
wink_face.gif

Yes, you are confused. Perhaps it started when you overlooked my premises. The essential inquiry I'm making is based upon the assumption that an Yggdrasil is in my future. The Sennheiser HD600 will enjoy that content. This headphone may not be the latest brand of the month but it remains highly respected. It is endgame for lots of listeners who don't judge according to an inflation prone industry. That said, I'm trusting this community--while maintaining some rigor in my own inquiries--to cull those inquiries on the front end. 

I have a setup I enjoy a great deal. I know how I listen to my music and what brings me joy. If I purchase the Yggy, then which of these amps, according to my trusted community and without disregarding my own rigorous and well plied preferences, would they suggest? 

I am working a process, not fantasizing about all the products and possibilities. My process is necessarily limited according to a criteria unknown to you so it seems to me when you read you are inclined to respond with conventional wisdom and the flavor of the month, rather than ask a question of me that clarifies an unknown. I used to do that all the time; I don't so much any more unless I'm trying to play in someone else's sandbox, like now.

I apparently eliminated you from the discussion when I asked for folks who knew the sound of both the Mjolnir 2 and the Ragnarok. Funny thing about these forums though, we all want to play even if we don't have the tools or the sand to build a particular castle. Be patient. It will come to you eventually.

Thanks for reaching out and thanks for receiving my pointy words back toward you. I've been smiling while playing with you. Next time I'm in SF I'll buy you a beer 
beerchug.gif
 (uups, I don't know that you even drink beer!).

No need for defensiveness. Some people would rather drive a fast car slowly, while others prefer to drive a slow car above the speed limit. In the end we're all going to arrive at our destination.

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #891 of 6,955
im considering this setup, violectric dac v800, mjolnir 2.  Two things i need to figure out.  i would like to run the mjolnir as a pre-amp to my power amp for my speakers. is that ok because the mjolnir says to run the pre-amp outs to powered speakers.  im sure it's fine as a powered speaker is just an amp directly connected to the speaker opposed to having an external cable connecting them but just wanted to be sure. if i do this will the mjolnir still utilize the tubes through the pre-amp outs?
Secondly, the violectric has a volume knob on it and i've only ever used dac's that don't and just controlled the volume with the amp.  Will this combo still work?

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #892 of 6,955
That should all work just fine. You will be able to run balanced or SE out from the v800 to the MJ2, then run RCA's from your MJ2's output to one of the inputs on your power amplifier (or XLR's if you have that option on your amp). Having a DAC and Pre-amp with potentiometers is a little redundant, but I would just set your v800 volume pretty high, and make your day-to-day volume adjustments with the MJ2.

As you mentioned, the MJ2's tubes are in the pre-amp stage so the tubes are still part of the chain if you opt to use the pre-amp outputs at the back of the unit.

My only question is what make/model is your power amp? Is it a true "power amp" or is it an integrated amplifier? 

Cheers

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #894 of 6,955
amp will be a parasound a23 with balanced inputs and thanks a bunch.  I figured that running the v800 at full volume would be the best bet because of the whole bit loss at lower volume in the digital domain.

Feb 3, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #896 of 6,955
I've heard mixed results about Mjolnir 2 powering HE6—how does balanced vs unbalanced operation affect them?

You'd absolutely want to go balanced, as the amp will only put out 2 watts (at 32 ohms) through its single-ended output. Balanced out, you'll likely get reasonable performance, but at higher volumes it'll* Schiit its pants, etc.

EDIT: *It may not be enough for you, but it totally may. Obviously, YMMV, DMV, ROFL, LMAOnnaise, etc.

Feb 3, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #898 of 6,955
Side note: Has anyone compared the Telefunken ECC88 Platinums to the '75 Reflektor SWGP silver shields? (And the 'Hair Splitter of the Year Award' goes to...)

Yes in my review  - AND the better Tele E188CC's a significant step up in sound over the ECC88 version - and a lot more expensive.  The Platinum just refers to Upscale's grading and matching  system - there is no Platinum in there.
wink_face.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E188CC-MATCHED-PAIR-TELEFUNKEN-Ulm-GERMANY-Audiophile-TUBES-7308-CV4108-CCa-/301860096762?hash=item4648438afa:g:1~wAAOSwymxVNl-9

Feb 3, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #899 of 6,955
Side note: Has anyone compared the Telefunken ECC88 Platinums to the '75 Reflektor SWGP silver shields? (And the 'Hair Splitter of the Year Award' goes to...)

I would also include the '74 Reflektor SWGP SS as a possibility. Have all three tubes and have used them in the Mol2, Val2, and the Lyr1&2. All three are great tubes, but I listen to the Reflectors more often.
Check with RB for the Reflektors. The '74s are a good value when available.

Feb 4, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #900 of 6,955

I would also include the '74 Reflektor SWGP SS as a possibility. Have all three tubes and have used them in the Mol2, Val2, and the Lyr1&2. All three are great tubes, but I listen to the Reflectors more often.
Check with RB for the Reflektors. The '74s are a good value when available.

Define "RB" for us noobs please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back