Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Feb 6, 2016 at 8:25 PM Post #916 of 6,973
I don't doubt you but food for thought: my specific experience was with a Meier Concerto (~500mW into 50 ohms with standard 2V in) versus the Lyr 1 (4W/50 ohms). I swore the two were practically indistinguishable and could not understand others' comments that the Concerto was "dry" and "thin". I had level-matched by ear.

Subsequently I set out to compare several DACs where level-matching was essential. Imagine my embarrassment on discovering my 'level-matched' amps differed by some 3-4dBA (IIRC). I was running the Concerto the louder. Doing this 'matched' the amps in terms of dynamics and I guess - subjectively - I 'heard' this as the same level, an interesting finding in itself.

But once properly matched (audio meter, pink-noise, chosen level 80 dBA) I had to agree the Concerto was somewhat bright, thin, analytical and dry by comparison!

Of course I "ear-matched" and found two amps the same whereas you ear-matched and find them different. This experience of mine may not apply. Nevertheless, I've been careful to level-match (with a meter but a smart phone app is adequate too) ever since!

I didn't level match. I don't have the equipment for that so I have to adjust volume by ear.  The resolution and dynamics difference  between the Lyr 2 and the HDVA 600 is so large though, I don't think it'd matter.  It's night and day. I didn't really expect the Lyr 2 to compete with the HDVA... what I'm wondering is if the Mjolnir would? Or perhaps it'd take the Ragnorok to get to that level. 

Oh and I'll be keeping the Lyr on my secondary system... cause I do love it. :wink:

Feb 7, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #917 of 6,973
  The HE-6 people on the HE-6 thread seem to scoff at Mjolnir (1 and 2), but according to Hifiman specs, both the EF-6 and MJ2 get 5W at 50 ohms. EF-6 is class a, is Mjolnir 2? Schiit's website doesn't seem to specify...

It's a fine combo.  I'm running an HE-6 with MJ1.  Nothing thin about the bass with the Mjolnir, hits damn hard with tracks that call for it; surprised how much thump some of Selena Gomez's songs have =)
It is a smidge "shouty" sometimes, not often; typically experienced with vocals, especially with movie dialogue.

Feb 7, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #918 of 6,973
  It's a fine combo.  I'm running an HE-6 with MJ1.  Nothing thin about the bass with the Mjolnir, hits damn hard with tracks that call for it; surprised how much thump some of Selena Gomez's songs have =)
It is a smidge "shouty" sometimes, not often; typically experienced with vocals, especially with movie dialogue.

That makes me feel much better, thanks!

Feb 9, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #919 of 6,973

You can improve the smoothness with better tubes.

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #921 of 6,973
I don't doubt you but food for thought: my specific experience was with a Meier Concerto (~500mW into 50 ohms with standard 2V in) versus the Lyr 1 (4W/50 ohms). I swore the two were practically indistinguishable and could not understand others' comments that the Concerto was "dry" and "thin". I had level-matched by ear.

Subsequently I set out to compare several DACs where level-matching was essential. Imagine my embarrassment on discovering my 'level-matched' amps differed by some 3-4dBA (IIRC). I was running the Concerto the louder. Doing this 'matched' the amps in terms of dynamics and I guess - subjectively - I 'heard' this as the same level, an interesting finding in itself.

But once properly matched (audio meter, pink-noise, chosen level 80 dBA) I had to agree the Concerto was somewhat bright, thin, analytical and dry by comparison!

Of course I "ear-matched" and found two amps the same whereas you ear-matched and find them different. This experience of mine may not apply. Nevertheless, I've been careful to level-match (with a meter but a smart phone app is adequate too) ever since!

Will do.  Didn't realize I could level check with a phone :) Always good to learn.

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:05 PM Post #924 of 6,973
I'd rather keep it under $100 for the pair. What should I look at?

The Amperex Orange Globes if you want a warmer - less detailed sound - they are a bit woolly for my taste, but many folks like them.  Amperex 6DJ8/E88CC Heerleen (labled Amperex, Philips, Valvo as well - see my review of the Valvo Herleen E88CC '67 Large Halos. They are also warm tubes.  They can be had for $70-$80.  Also the Tesla E88CC more detailed if a bit etchy - same price.  In the Russian stuff-  the 6N23P Reflektor '74 Single Wire Gray Shield Single Wire Getter Posts - around $90.

All of them are a major step-up from the stock tube.  You'll want to look for a matched and tested pair.

I have a spare pair of the '74 Relfektor Gray SWGP available if you're interested - PM me.

Good luck!

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:10 PM Post #925 of 6,973
  Anyone tried the Telefunken E188ccs ? How do they sound with mjolnir 2?

Yes!  They are extrodinary!  Near the top of the charts - see my tube review.  Although I ranked them #4 - they were very close to the #3 and #2 tubes.  They do it all great.  That was in a Schiit Lyr though not a MJ2.  So YMMV.  They aren't cheap though.   The Tele E88CC are also very good.  You'll want the '60s versions from Ulm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E188CC-MATCHED-PAIR-TELEFUNKEN-Ulm-GERMANY-Audiophile-TUBES-7308-CV4108-CCa-/301860096762?hash=item4648438afa:g:1~wAAOSwymxVNl-9

The Tele '60s Ulm E188CC did very well in this shootout:
http://hktubeaudio.homestead.com/files/6dj8.html

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #927 of 6,973
How do the orange globes compare to the gold lions?

The orange globes offer a woolly, vintage, citrus haze with laid more back dynamics and a technicolor roundedness to leading edges, while the gold lions are more vibrant, zaftig but fierce like a russian mother bear, a bit bright, with sharp transients and decay that bleeds long and slow into the background silence like a deer dying in a winter forest.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #928 of 6,973
How do the orange globes compare to the gold lions?

The OG's are much warmer the the GLs  -the GLs are the best of the new production tubes made besides the ridiculously expensive Black Sables.  But the GL's are not cheap - and just can't match the equivalent vintage tubes from the 60's and 70's.  It was a lost art.

The orange globes offer a woolly, vintage, citrus haze with laid more back dynamics and a technicolor roundedness to leading edges, while the gold lions are more vibrant, zaftig but fierce like a russian mother bear, a bit bright, with sharp transients and decay that bleeds long and slow into the background silence like a deer dying in a winter forest.

Agreed!

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #930 of 6,973
  whats the difference in sound between 1968 and 1969 orange globes?

The '68s are a little more rebellious in the dynamics while the '69s are more controlled and technical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back