Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Feb 4, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #902 of 6,973
Hey all I've got got a Senheisser HDVA 600 on loan and have the option to purchase for about $850. I have found it decimates the Lyr 2 ( Telefunken Tubes ) that I own in terms of exposing  detail. It also seems to bring the Bass in both my HD 800 and HD 600 up to a level that competes with my HE 560's  ( driven by the Lyr 2 ). While I know that it's a somewhat absurd question to ask given the price of the two amps but  given my experience with Schiit it seems less absurd, I'm wondering how the Mjolnir 2 fairs against the HDVA 600.

The truth I ... I'll be moving to a Gumby for the DAC and really like being about to stack amps. I also really like supporting local small businesses. But well sound... this all boils down to the sound!

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #903 of 6,973
Also very curious about that. Though mj2 is a ninja that can transform between tubes and ss in ways hdva can only dream of...

Feb 5, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #904 of 6,973
Have not heard Lyr 2 but I found detail was not a strength of the original Lyr - certainly compared to more expensive amps!

One question though: did you level match? Comparisons can be highly misleading if not or if matched by ear - as I discovered!

Mj and Mj2 and Rag are circlotron, a completely different topology from the Lyrs. The sound of one is no guide to the others.

Hey all I've got got a Senheisser HDVA 600 on loan and have the option to purchase for about $850. I have found it decimates the Lyr 2 ( Telefunken Tubes ) that I own in terms of exposing  detail. It also seems to bring the Bass in both my HD 800 and HD 600 up to a level that competes with my HE 560's  ( driven by the Lyr 2 ). While I know that it's a somewhat absurd question to ask given the price of the two amps but  given my experience with Schiit it seems less absurd, I'm wondering how the Mjolnir 2 fairs against the HDVA 600.

The truth I ... I'll be moving to a Gumby for the DAC and really like being about to stack amps. I also really like supporting local small businesses. But well sound... this all boils down to the sound!

Feb 5, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #905 of 6,973
Have not heard Lyr 2 but I found detail was not a strength of the original Lyr - certainly compared to more expensive amps!

One question though: did you level match? Comparisons can be highly misleading if not or if matched by ear - as I discovered!

Mj and Mj2 and Rag are circlotron, a completely different topology from the Lyrs. The sound of one is no guide to the others.

I didn't level match. I don't have the equipment for that so I have to adjust volume by ear.  The resolution and dynamics difference  between the Lyr 2 and the HDVA 600 is so large though, I don't think it'd matter.  It's night and day. I didn't really expect the Lyr 2 to compete with the HDVA... what I'm wondering is if the Mjolnir would? Or perhaps it'd take the Ragnorok to get to that level. 

Oh and I'll be keeping the Lyr on my secondary system... cause I do love it. :wink:

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #907 of 6,973

I didn't level match. I don't have the equipment for that so I have to adjust volume by ear.  The resolution and dynamics difference  between the Lyr 2 and the HDVA 600 is so large though, I don't think it'd matter.  It's night and day. I didn't really expect the Lyr 2 to compete with the HDVA... what I'm wondering is if the Mjolnir would? Or perhaps it'd take the Ragnorok to get to that level. 

Oh and I'll be keeping the Lyr on my secondary system... cause I do love it. :wink:

do you have an iPhone?

You can use one of the dB meter apps to level match with moderate accuracy.

Feb 6, 2016 at 1:30 AM Post #908 of 6,973
The HE-6 people on the HE-6 thread seem to scoff at Mjolnir (1 and 2), but according to Hifiman specs, both the EF-6 and MJ2 get 5W at 50 ohms. EF-6 is class a, is Mjolnir 2? Schiit's website doesn't seem to specify...

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:02 AM Post #909 of 6,973
  The HE-6 people on the HE-6 thread seem to scoff at Mjolnir (1 and 2), but according to Hifiman specs, both the EF-6 and MJ2 get 5W at 50 ohms. EF-6 is class a, is Mjolnir 2? Schiit's website doesn't seem to specify...

Mine runs so hot I'm pretty dang sure it's operating at Class A within the power envelope I use it.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #910 of 6,973

Mojo and HE-6 aren't an ideal matching. You'll get sound and it'll be loud, but the bass will sound thin and the treble will be very forward. If you want an HE-6 you need to get a dedicate amp for it. It's a beat on its own.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #912 of 6,973
Classical's demands on bass are less than other genres—does this mitigate the shortfalls at all?

Ya know, in my two channel setup I have what is sort of the smaller sibling of what I personally would consider to be the HE-6 of monitors/standmounts (at the very least in terms of power requirements for their size or class): the Totem 'Mani-2'. Now, my 'The One's (an über 'Model One') don't need nearly as much good, clean juice to sing beautifully as the Mani-2s ought to have, but previously I had been powering them with an amp that had, in retrospect, seemingly zero headroom (at best). Now I can see (durr, hear) just how much control/finesse/alien screw**g wizardry I was missing—regardless of genre—when using an amp that didn't quite cut it. (What elwapo99 said... except that tubes could mitigate some/much of/none of the sibilance.)

The 'Mojo' is a truly wonderful amp, and you could use it as a starting point for many a fine 'phone. However, if the HE-6 is your ultimate transducer, you could save yourself some time and money by not possibly wanting to upgrade beyond this amp after the fact. Having said all that, try not to get too lost in all the numbers/specs. One individual may perceive the jump from a Mojo to say, a Ragnarok, to be colossal. For you it may not sound like double the price. Of course, there are much cheaper routes available in speaker amps, that'll give you more power, that cost far less, but I imagine most won't deliver a sound nearly as beautiful as what a Rag will put out, and so on and blahbiddy-blah. Good luck.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #913 of 6,973
  Classical's demands on bass are less than other genres—does this mitigate the shortfalls at all?

Go listen to the 1812 Overture (with canons) or Toccata & Fugue in D Minor played on a pipe organ and get back to me on that.

Feb 6, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #914 of 6,973
If I wanted to build a little mute box for the XLR balanced preamp outs to my powered monitors for the MJ2, should I short the + and - to ground or short + and - to each other?

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #915 of 6,973
Ya know, in my two channel setup I have what is sort of the smaller sibling of what I personally would consider to be the HE-6 of monitors/standmounts (at the very least in terms of power requirements for their size or class): the Totem 'Mani-2'. Now, my 'The One's (an über 'Model One') don't need nearly as much good, clean juice to sing beautifully as the Mani-2s ought to have, but previously I had been powering them with an amp that had, in retrospect, seemingly zero headroom (at best). Now I can see (durr, hear) just how much control/finesse/alien screw**g wizardry I was missing—regardless of genre—when using an amp that didn't quite cut it. (What elwapo99 said... except that tubes could mitigate some/much of/none of the sibilance.)

The 'Mojo' is a truly wonderful amp, and you could use it as a starting point for many a fine 'phone. However, if the HE-6 is your ultimate transducer, you could save yourself some time and money by not possibly wanting to upgrade beyond this amp after the fact. Having said all that, try not to get too lost in all the numbers/specs. One individual may perceive the jump from a Mojo to say, a Ragnarok, to be colossal. For you it may not sound like double the price. Of course, there are much cheaper routes available in speaker amps, that'll give you more power, that cost far less, but I imagine most won't deliver a sound nearly as beautiful as what a Rag will put out, and so on and blahbiddy-blah. Good luck.

Point taken, though even the Rag is not in favor among the HE6 fans either—too 'bright' or 'strident'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back