Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jan 29, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #871 of 6,973
She's here! Now she has to warm up. Should I go skin to case? Would that help to go faster? haha

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #872 of 6,973
MJ2 connected now, man, first word that came to mind was AUTHORITAH!

My tubes are from Canada sounding pretty good through my Ether Cs balanced with low gain.

Dug out some old XLR cables from my gig bag to run to my Yamaha HE8s since MJ2 will convert from SE to balanced. Since these will never see duty as what they were intended for I'm going to take the better of the two and cut it in half and re-end for my main speaker cables.

So, question. I've noticed this on the MJ2 and the Vali 2 that once the amp's muting relay closes I get a pop through my HS8s even if I have the volume all the way down. Any little doodad that I could acquire or build that would prevent that? I have not tried with cans connected, would that prevent it?

I scored a used Gungnir DS with USB 1 input that's on the way, I think I'll sacrifice the Bimby's USB 2 input for a while until finances recover enough to order another one. Guess I should also take off about 6 feet from that XLR cable for a pair of interconnects also.

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #873 of 6,973
The Mjolnir 2 will work with PCC88 tubes too correct?

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #874 of 6,973
  The Mjolnir 2 will work with PCC88 tubes too correct?

Here, so I don't misspeak:

Choose Tube Hybrid, Solid-State, or Both
Yes, that’s right. You can get Mjolnir 2 as a tube hybrid, or as a pure solid-state amp—or get both, and swap out as you’d like. You can also swap the standard 6BZ7 tubes for anything in the 6DJ8, 6922, ECC88, and 2492 families, to “roll” the sound to your specific preference. Or just opt for the Schiit LISST (Linear, Integral Solid-State Tube) for a 100% solid state amp.

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #875 of 6,973
I've got some questions for those of you who've compared the M2 and the Ragnarok. Of course I have the obligatory multipage setup. 
biggrin.gif
 Current setup are HD600s being fed from files on a MacMini (Alac, Roon, Tidal, Audirvana) through a Bimby and Valhalla 2.  Everything I've enjoyed with this setup has convinced me a Yggy is in my future. I want to utilize a balanced setup although the V2 seems headphones fine in the meantime. Music is classical, jazz, acoustic, and re-experiencing the 70s & 80s with thoughtful engagement.

Discounting the extra power and connections of the Rag does it offer significant advantages over the Mjolnir 2? I'm convinced the Yggy is worth the upgrade over the Gumby however I don't have that same confidence in the Ragnarok. Yes, I would replace my Yamaha receiver to power the JBL Control 5s but I get most of my listening pleasure with headphones, perhaps because of the warmth of the V2 or the synergy of the dac/amp. HD800Ss might also end up on my stand with the 600s but I'm not perceiving the advantage of one amp over the other based upon features.
How do those familiar with both Schiit amps talk about their relative sound signatures with phones?
beerchug.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #876 of 6,973
yes, Id really like to know as well. if you dont need the extra power, how do the Ragnarok compares to the Mjolnir2!

Jan 29, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #877 of 6,973
I'd love insight on this as well. I'm not considering upgrading to the Raggy, but would like to hear what others say.

Now, if Jason pulls a tube hybrid raggy out of his rear, yeah, that's a different story.

I just cannot get over how much I am loving the tube hybrid sound. My first ever listen to any tube sound was my buddy birro's Valhalla 2. I liked it ok, wasn't thrilled about it. Next was his Vali 1 which had microphonic issues. I really enjoyed that, but my cans were too sensitive for it. Even after it was replaced and the microphonic issues gone. Once the Vali 2 was released, bigro ordered one and I got to borrow it for a few days and he just about didn't get it back. I mean I loved that sound. Granted I had moved from Shure 1540's to MrSpeakers Ether C but still. It was so fun, and engaging that I had to get myself a tube hybrid amp thus my MJ2 arrived today. I cannot express how much I am loving this thing!

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #879 of 6,973
  I'd love insight on this as well. I'm not considering upgrading to the Raggy, but would like to hear what others say.

Now, if Jason pulls a tube hybrid raggy out of his rear, yeah, that's a different story.

I just cannot get over how much I am loving the tube hybrid sound. My first ever listen to any tube sound was my buddy birro's Valhalla 2. I liked it ok, wasn't thrilled about it. Next was his Vali 1 which had microphonic issues. I really enjoyed that, but my cans were too sensitive for it. Even after it was replaced and the microphonic issues gone. Once the Vali 2 was released, bigro ordered one and I got to borrow it for a few days and he just about didn't get it back. I mean I loved that sound. Granted I had moved from Shure 1540's to MrSpeakers Ether C but still. It was so fun, and engaging that I had to get myself a tube hybrid amp thus my MJ2 arrived today. I cannot express how much I am loving this thing!

Interesting. I got my Ether C's today and they are currently running to flex the drivers abit. Figured I give'em a day or so before any critical listening. The gumby/MJ2 compo got me really addicted to my music collection again such that I also am moving up to the yggy. I will keep the MJ2 as I'm with you. Just love the tube hybrid sound.

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:54 PM Post #880 of 6,973

Interesting. I got my Ether C's today and they are currently running to flex the drivers abit. Figured I give'em a day or so before any critical listening. The gumby/MJ2 compo got me really addicted to my music collection again such that I also am moving up to the yggy. I will keep the MJ2 as I'm with you. Just love the tube hybrid sound.

Same thing happened to me.  Had the Gumby/Mj2 combo and it was so dang good it got me excited and involved with music again.    So sold them both and now have the YGGY and will have another MJ2 to pair with it someday.   I personally want to stay with the hybrid amp so I won't even consider a rag.  

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #881 of 6,973
Just put in some $13.95 (each) current production Electro-Harmonix 6922, swapping out the vintage Amperex Orange Globes.

The increase in dynamics, headroom, and gain (mu) is so big it makes the vintage tubes seem flaccid in comparison.  

And lower noise, too.

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #882 of 6,973
  Just put in some $13.95 (each) current production Electro-Harmonix 6922, swapping out the vintage Amperex Orange Globes.

The increase in dynamics, headroom, and gain (mu) is so big it makes the vintage tubes seem flaccid in comparison.  

And lower noise, too.

Curious, what were your stock tubes? Mine are Canada something hehe I'll have to go look. Besides, it's time to put the LISST in and compare I think.

Have a friend that raves about those also. Now I may have to take the plunge. He only got one for his Vali 2, I told him to cancel the order and buy two, I mean, that was a perfectly reasonable request, right? But he refused! Can you believe it?

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #883 of 6,973

Curious, what were your stock tubes? Mine are Canada something hehe I'll have to go look. Besides, it's time to put the LISST in and compare I think.

Have a friend that raves about those also. Now I may have to take the plunge. He only got one for his Vali 2, I told him to cancel the order and buy two, I mean, that was a perfectly reasonable request, right? But he refused! Can you believe it?

I didn't get stock tubes.  I had mine shipped with the LISST because I already had a few pairs of 6DJ88's lying around the house in sock drawers.

The EH's are only $13.95, cheap enough to experiment.  And even if you don't like them you'll have a spare set of tubes to use when others go bad.

Jan 29, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #884 of 6,973
Jan 29, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #885 of 6,973
I tried the HD800 modded with the Ragnarok and while there are slightly more details on the rag, I found myself missing the midrange that I get with my Mjo2 + orange globes tubes. The Mjo + LISST v Rag to me sounded very similar. I was thinking of going up to a rag but I felt like tonality-wise I was very close to the rag with the mjo2+lisst. My assumption is that if you pair the mjo2 with excellent tubes then you'll probably get a really enjoyable amplifier that's great for the price. The Ether sounded very dynamic with the Ragnarok and I don't know why it sounded similar with the HD800 yet completely different with the Ether. I was hoping for a be-all-end-all amp that can drive all 3 headphones I have. The Ragnarok didn't do it for me with the HD800 and while I liked it with the Ether, it still sounds pretty damn good with the Mjo2. Sadly I didn't get to try the Rag with the LCD-X though I have a feeling that it'll be just as excellent as the Ether and the X like similar sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back