Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Nov 23, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #601 of 6,930

$24 stock cable + $6 Neutrik 4-pin XLR Connector + some soldering tools and skill = $30 balanced cable.  If you have the tools and skill, it's $30.

Ah, the skill part is the problem (cerebral palsy + fine detail soldering = not such a good combination!).  Are there any decent off-the-shelf alternatives to the $240 Sennheiser cable for under $100?

Nov 23, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #604 of 6,930
I think headroom carries what you're looking for at about $80.

Thank you both, those options are definitely more sensibly priced!

At risk of revealing the true extent of my ignorance of balanced configurations, I'm assuming a basic 1/4" female TRS to 4-pin male XLR adapter, joined to my existing HD600 cable, wouldn't work?

Nov 23, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #605 of 6,930

Thank you both, those options are definitely more sensibly priced!

At risk of revealing the true extent of my ignorance of balanced configurations, I'm assuming a basic 1/4" female TRS to 4-pin male XLR adapter, joined to my existing HD600 cable, wouldn't work?

It wouldn't work. A female 4 pin XLR to 1/4"/3.5mm male will work, for when you want to connect your balanced cable to an SE amp.

Better to ask than make the mistake...

Nov 25, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #606 of 6,930
Ragnarok is clearly a step up from MJ2 in terms of solid state, but Jason himself says he uses MJ2 with tubes for his own personal use, citing a more euphonic sound. Is Jason's assessment correct? Is Ragnarok appreciably less musical/euphonic than MJ2, despite increased power, detail, and transparency? I'm especially interested in my HD800s, of course, but also the HD600, Q701, K1K, the HE1000, the SR009 (via Woo Wee), perhaps the K812 and LCD-2/XC.

Nov 25, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #607 of 6,930
  Ragnarok is clearly a step up from MJ2 in terms of solid state, but Jason himself says he uses MJ2 with tubes for his own personal use, citing a more euphonic sound. Is Jason's assessment correct? Is Ragnarok appreciably less musical/euphonic than MJ2, despite increased power, detail, and transparency? I'm especially interested in my HD800s, of course, but also the HD600, Q701, K1K, the HE1000, the SR009 (via Woo Wee), perhaps the K812 and LCD-2/XC.

I have said it before here.  The mj2 to me is magical with the hd800.  I have owned supposedly superior amps like the violectric v281 , Icon HP8 MK11 ,  Woo Wa6se and none had the synergy the mj2 does with good tubes.   I would be skeptical the Rag is better with the hd800 but someday I will see for myself.

Nov 25, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #608 of 6,930
Soon after release Rag was described by one purrin - a prominent head-fier at the time - as having tube-like qualities. IIRC some others have certainly described it as "musical".

This said, a tube amp like the MJ2 can always be made more "musical/euphonic" than an SS amp - if that's how you tune it. But you don't have to tune it that way...

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #609 of 6,930
It's the sleepless nights, the endless research, the confusing acronyms that have me wondering if I'm ready to audition for one flew over the cuckoos' nest. I'm tired but totally buzzed and I've just submitted my order for Schiit's  Mjolnir 2 with solid state and tube options. My game plan is to test the new amp with the gear I already have and then add a schiit dac at a later date. This way I hope to be able to appreciate and identify the sonic differences as I add new and improved equipment to the audio chain. I will ultimately purchase a new set of ear phones and have the Mr. Speakers Ether on my radar.....
Well the idea of  patiently waiting and exercising restraint just went out the window. I was browsing the LCD 2 thread and came across a deal from Amarado for the LCD-2 F for $749 and I hopped on it right away. If for some reason it's too heavy and uncomfortable or I don't like the sound, I have until 2/1/16 to return the phones without penalty. 
I just thought I would share as many of you are clearly responsible for my lack of good judgment. Thanks for all the wonderful insight into the Schiit Mjolnir 2. 

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #610 of 6,930
  It's the sleepless nights, the endless research, the confusing acronyms that have me wondering if I'm ready to audition for one flew over the cuckoos' nest. I'm tired but totally buzzed and I've just submitted my order for Schiit's  Mjolnir 2 with solid state and tube options. My game plan is to test the new amp with the gear I already have and then add a schiit dac at a later date. This way I vhope to be able to appreciate and identify the sonic differences as I add new and improved equipment to the audio chain. I will ultimately purchase a new set of ear phones and have the Mr. Speakers Ether on my radar.....
Well the idea of  patiently waiting and exercising restraint just went out the window. I was browsing the LCD 2 thread and came across a deal from Amarado for the LCD-2 F for $749 and I hopped on it right away. If for some reason it's too heavy and uncomfortable or I don't like the sound, I have until 2/1/16 to return the phones without penalty. 
I just thought I would share as many of you are clearly responsible for my lack of good judgment. Thanks for all wonderful insight into the Schiit Mjolnir 2. 

Good choice! With your long trial period of the LCD-2, that should give you enough time to roll some tubes to get the sound you want.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #611 of 6,930
It's the sleepless nights, the endless research, the confusing acronyms that have me wondering if I'm ready to audition for one flew over the cuckoos' nest. I'm tired but totally buzzed and I've just submitted my order for Schiit's  Mjolnir 2 with solid state and tube options. My game plan is to test the new amp with the gear I already have and then add a schiit dac at a later date. This way I vhope to be able to appreciate and identify the sonic differences as I add new and improved equipment to the audio chain. I will ultimately purchase a new set of ear phones and have the Mr. Speakers Ether on my radar.....

I just thought I would share as many of you are clearly responsible for my lack of good judgment. Thanks for all wonderful insight into the Schiit Mjolnir 2. 

Order a suspension strap for it (lohb) and you won't regret it!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Audeze-Unofficial-Premium-Grade-Leather-Suspension-Strap-for-Audeze-/181941692725?nav=SEARCH

Literally makes the headphone feel like a cloud on your head. I would say get the new carbon headband from Audeze, but imo the lohb is more comfortable.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #614 of 6,930
  It's the sleepless nights, the endless research, the confusing acronyms that have me wondering if I'm ready to audition for one flew over the cuckoos' nest. I'm tired but totally buzzed and I've just submitted my order for Schiit's  Mjolnir 2 with solid state and tube options. My game plan is to test the new amp with the gear I already have and then add a schiit dac at a later date. This way I hope to be able to appreciate and identify the sonic differences as I add new and improved equipment to the audio chain. I will ultimately purchase a new set of ear phones and have the Mr. Speakers Ether on my radar.....
I just thought I would share as many of you are clearly responsible for my lack of good judgment. Thanks for all the wonderful insight into the Schiit Mjolnir 2. 

Congrats.  You will love that MJ2    

Nov 30, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #615 of 6,930
I am sure your MJ2, paired with the Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, hooked up to Benchmark DAC2 HGC will make any headphone, you own, sing like a muse of old. However the Yggdrasil is a bloody fantastic DAC, that is ever so resolving yet remains ever so musical. I would go for the 15 day return, and try out the Yggdrasil.

Reddog, way back in this thread you said that your Yggy/Rag stack sounded significantly better than the MBG/Mjolnir 2. 

Here's a question for you, if you had to pick between Yggy/Mjolnir2 and MBG/Rag, which setup do you think would sound better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back