Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Nov 7, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #571 of 6,930
  Hi guys. I just bought the Mjolnir2 and Gungnir Multibit. I pair it with Sennheiser HD800 with balanced cable CH 800 S. It really sound very revealing and honest. Sound stage is much wider but I think a little bit recessed somewhere in the 500hz to my ear. Not sure if it is really recessed since I really dont have a proper way to measure it. It sounds fatiguing on the HD800 for long session. I think it is because the whole setup is just reavealing from DAC->Headphone Amp->Headphone. But the clarity is just blows away my Sennheiser HDVD800 and Centrance HiFi M8. I think I will mod my headphone to make it listenable to a long sessions (I will try the mod from InnerFidelity). I would not recommend HDVD800 btw since it have a low frequency popping noise when the sound fades out. Sorry for the off topic a bit I will post a new thread about it when my account get unlocked. 

For the price Schiit Mjolnir2 and Gungnir combo is a really good buy for the price. I just wish the units are a little bit narrower but I can get over it since it gives me the sound quality I want. I am using the stock tube btw. 

Its going to get even better when you get some upgraded tubes.

Nov 7, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #572 of 6,930
  Ha! I got all of you beat - got my MJ2, both 74 and 75 Reflektors, but no Ether C yet!

However, as I've posted previously, my Laylas are doing just fine as a reference headphone. My notes on comparing the 75 to 74 are:

1. Bass seems a bit tighter and faster with the 75. Keep in mind that I'm listening to BA drivers in the Laylas so this is probably exaggerated compared to dynamic or planar drivers. Just a slight edge to the 75.
  2. Mids - a little more warmth than 74. But it's a different kind of warmth. It's most notable with acoustic guitar and piano. I think it may have more to do with the micro details of the sustained resonance of the strings and not an overall warmth to the tone. I find vocals to be pretty much identical between 74 and 75. Maybe the right way to describe it is more warmth but without added weight?
  3. Highs -  Amazing amount of details. Had I never listened to the 75, I would have been perfectly happy with the 74. I don't believe the 75 adds more detail or extension. Rather, it sounds to me just a cleaner version of the 74 so the details just present better with more separation. This equates to more detail without added harshness or grain. It reminds me of looking through a spotless piece of glass versus a spotless piece of crystal. You would never know there was a loss of light looking through glass until you compared it to crystal.

So, the big question is do I find the upgrade to 75 worth it? I have to give a qualified "yes". If you have access to the 75 then it's absolutely worth it. However, I would not obsess about it if you have the 74 and are having a hard time finding the 75. You would also need a really resolving DAC and headphones to hear the differences. I really wish I didn't say what I just did....A very bad thought has come to mind - I wonder how the Yggy would sound as a source instead of my Gumby. Damn it!! Seriously, I'm sure I would be blown away, but back to my earlier point, I wouldn't know I was missing out on anything until I listened to the Yggy.

I'll have more to report back when my Ethers finally arrive and get burned in. I tell you what, it's no fun getting the Gumby, warming it up and burning it in, getting the MJ2 after all that and doing another burn in, plus tube burn in, then getting Ethers and burning those in. Really should have just gotten everything all at once!

Going to have to try the 75's some day but dang they are hard to find.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #574 of 6,930
What tubes do recommend? Reducing the harshness would be nice. Thanks.

You don't have to spend big money to get "nice tubes" for mjo. A nice "smooth" set would be something like Amperex Orange Globes via Mercedesmann on ebay. Bugle boys are also nice. 

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #575 of 6,930
You don't have to spend big money to get "nice tubes" for mjo. A nice "smooth" set would be something like Amperex Orange Globes via Mercedesmann on ebay. Bugle boys are also nice. 

I need to get some Bugle Boys, heard a lot of good stuff about them. But I am still skittish about ebay. I got a pair of tubes and they were both bad. Hoping the seller will make good on replacing them.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #576 of 6,930
I need to get some Bugle Boys, heard a lot of good stuff about them. But I am still skittish about ebay. I got a pair of tubes and they were both bad. Hoping the seller will make good on replacing them.
Mercedes Mann is a trusted seller. I've used him for years.

Nov 7, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #578 of 6,930
That sucks. I hope you get some replacements.

I hope so too, trying to get tubes for my Liquid Glass. Most internet stores do not carry 12sn7gt tubes.

Nov 8, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #582 of 6,930
Just out of curiosity has anyone tried using IEMs out of the balanced XLR? I know I read where someone used the single ended, but had a TRRS termination and was going to get an interconnect to try it on 4-pin balanced.

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #583 of 6,930
Just out of curiosity has anyone tried using IEMs out of the balanced XLR? I know I read where someone used the single ended, but had a TRRS termination and was going to get an interconnect to try it on 4-pin balanced.

That was probably me. I've been using a TRRS to XLR adapter for the past couple weeks. I would say for IEM it's highly recommended since I was getting some slight noise on the SE connector. I got mine from Norne Audio and generally have them in stock ready to ship. The whole Schiit stack with Laylas are so good imho, I'm not sure if the Ether C will be much better once I receive them. I wouldn't mind saving $1600 LOL.

Nov 8, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #584 of 6,930

That was probably me. I've been using a TRRS to XLR adapter for the past couple weeks. I would say for IEM it's highly recommended since I was getting some slight noise on the SE connector. I got mine from Norne Audio and generally have them in stock ready to ship. The whole Schiit stack with Laylas are so good imho, I'm not sure if the Ether C will be much better once I receive them. I wouldn't mind saving $1600 LOL.

Good to know!! I ordered a custom cable from plusSound that will have a 4-pin XLR termination to use for my home setup. So that's a relief that it should work well with the MJ2!

Nov 8, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #585 of 6,930
Forgot to mention, if you haven't been using the XLR balanced out of your MJ2, it will need burn in. My first 2 min of listening was a bit harsh treble and overall a little thin sound. I let it burn in for about 20 hours and all was good. By "little" I mean around 1-1.5 dB difference. Prior to switching to balanced, I had burned in the MJ2 for about 50 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back