Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 14, 2015 at 6:33 AM Post #496 of 6,930
  My Mjolnir 2 arrived today. Signal chain is PC > Wyrd > Gungnir Multi Bit > Mjolnir 2

I won't say too much just yet because it's only been running for about 2 hours. Started off using it as a balanced pre-amp to my EVE SC205 monitors. It was harsh initially, but is quickly settling down.

The only headphones I've tried so far are HD800's. Very lightly Anax modded (only the foam trapezoid has been applied). Normally I use some form of EQ with the GMB > Valhalla 2 > HD800's, but for comparisons sake I've turned off all EQ.

The MJ2 is engaging as hell, for sure - I finally understand what people mean when they say that about the Mjolnir. This thing is so dynamic and lively. With the stock tubes, you can actually use stock HD800's and have a listenable experience. It's not perfect, the HD800's are still inherently bright and have that 6k peak, but it's not so ******* grating that I immediately have to turn EQ on. I'm still enjoying the sound immensely 
color]
. My immediate reaction is that it's certainly an upgrade from the Val2 for the HD800's.

It'll be interesting to see how this combo drives the LCD-X's in comparison to the Senn's.

Eventually I'll get around to properly comparing it with the Valhalla 2 for the HD800's/HD650's.

Congrats.  It seriously gets better after some burn in time on the tubes/amp.  

Oct 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #498 of 6,930

I've been running my MJ2 almost non-stop since receiving it Friday, and found the bass quality definitely improved -- hits harder, is tight, and sufficiently deep.

I have my Hugo going through my McIntosh preamp for EQ, then to MJ2, and have dialed back both low/high freqs.

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #499 of 6,930

Just Burning in my MJ2 since Friday but only part time.  I've changed stock tubes initially for Russian spec 70's 6N23P and then Mullard CV2492  from the 60's. Its a fantastically detailed amp with amazing dynamics and great bass impact but the mid band is still quite aggressive with my LCD-XC's. How long is a reasonable burn in period before real improvements are expected ???  My Musical Fidelity MX-HPA was good to go only after a few hours!!! Just asking LOL

Oct 14, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #500 of 6,930
You are probably there.   

Just Burning in my MJ2 since Friday but only part time.  I've changed stock tubes initially for Russian spec 70's 6N23P and then Mullard CV2492  from the 60's. Its a fantastically detailed amp with amazing dynamics and great bass impact but the mid band is still quite aggressive with my LCD-XC's. How long is a reasonable burn in period before real improvements are expected ???  My Musical Fidelity MX-HPA was good to go only after a few hours!!! Just asking LOL

You are probably there.  I don't know your tubes so maybe they are inherent to a strong mid range.  rb2013  here would know.  May have to dial a little bit of it out with equalizer and you shouldn't lose any detail.

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #501 of 6,930
  You are probably there.   

You are probably there.  I don't know your tubes so maybe they are inherent to a strong mid range.  rb2013  here would know.  May have to dial a little bit of it out with equalizer and you shouldn't lose any detail.

Thanks for reply unfortunately my main system is not equipped with EQ facilities.The digital files are stored on a hard disk which is connected directly via usb to the streamer and then via a DAC to the Amp and then Amp to MJ2. I will give it a few more bursts over the next few days and see if it helps.  I didn't think from the HeadFi comments the MJ2 was inherently forward sounding so hopefully its still trying to settle down.
The valves are all detailed sounding types but not known to be peaky in the midband. It is mainly with vocals that I hear the aggressiveness so hopefully this is a burn in issue as its a great amp otherwise.

Oct 14, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #502 of 6,930

You are probably there.   

Thanks for reply unfortunately my main system is not equipped with EQ facilities.The digital files are stored on a hard disk which is connected directly via usb to the streamer and then via a DAC to the Amp and then Amp to MJ2. I will give it a few more bursts over the next few days and see if it helps.  I didn't think from the HeadFi comments the MJ2 was inherently forward sounding so hopefully its still trying to settle down.
The valves are all detailed sounding types but not known to be peaky in the midband. It is mainly with vocals that I hear the aggressiveness so hopefully this is a burn in issue as its a great amp otherwise.

Upscale audio describes the cv2492's (Ediswan) this  way  "Virtually unfindable in the U.S. Stunning midrange texture while maintaining top and bottom end extension" .   He definitely mentions the midrange texture.   More burn in can't hurt.  I don't find my mj2 to be aggressive in the mid band.   Other's will have to chime in.

Oct 14, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #503 of 6,930

Upscale audio describes the cv2492's (Ediswan) this  way  "Virtually unfindable in the U.S. Stunning midrange texture while maintaining top and bottom end extension" .   He definitely mentions the midrange texture.   More burn in can't hurt.  I don't find my mj2 to be aggressive in the mid band.   Other's will have to chime in.

Yes the midrange is very textured and detailed . The Mullard variety more so than the Brimar Ediswan manufacture (which I have a set somewhere as well!!) but also more "sweet" in its  tonality. They are quite Microphonic though but you can't have everything LOL. I will stick with them for a bit longer as mostly the dynamic are great and the amp only gets quite aggressive when music crescendos. I dont think its anything to do with the rest of the equipment as it was all fine before installing the MJ2 .
I have notice in another Headfi thread regarding the LYR that someone switched from Ediswan valves backed to stock as they were more relaxed in his opinion. I think I will try for a few more days and them see how the stock supplied valves are if no joy. Thanks again for your replies

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #506 of 6,930
  Does this Siemens Halske CCa look real? Doesn't it look too shiny for a 1962 vintage?

https://tubedepot.com/products/siemens-halske-cca

Tube Depot is pretty reputable.  Doubt if they are fake but that is a crazy price.  Two tubes would buy you a mjolnir 2 . 
confused_face(1).gif

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #507 of 6,930
  You are probably there.   

I would expect the burnin on the MJ2 to be in the 100-150 hr range.  This is for the caps and other components to burnin.  The tubes will take about the same.  My experience with the Russian tubes is they take a bit longer - and get smoother and more refined out past 200 hrs.

You can accelerate the process a bit using the Isotek burnin disc. Which they say has other benefits - like demag the resistors.  It produces a full frequency spread and various dynamic bursts.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-3521-isotek-full-system-enhancer-burn-in-cd.aspx
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/isotek/cd.html

I use this disc in combination with a variety of music.

Oct 15, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #508 of 6,930

You are probably there.   

I would expect the burnin on the MJ2 to be in the 100-150 hr range.  This is for the caps and other components to burnin.  The tubes will take about the same.  My experience with the Russian tubes is they take a bit longer - and get smoother and more refined out past 200 hrs.

You can accelerate the process a bit using the Isotek burnin disc. Which they say has other benefits - like demag the resistors.  It produces a full frequency spread and various dynamic bursts.

Good info.  Thanks RB.

Oct 16, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #509 of 6,930
Put the LISSTs into the MJ2 earlier today.

It's been fascinating listening to the sound change over time as the LISSTs burn in/warm up. It started off quite harsh, with the treble lacking a lot of detail due to the aggressive, smeared, harsh sound. It's been getting better and better over time, and the differences are not subtle!

It'll be very interesting comparing how the HD800's sound from the solid state Mojo 2 compared to the tube Mojo 2, when both are properly warmed up and/or burned in. I get the feeling the tubes are slightly more resolving, but it's too early to call it properly yet.

Oct 16, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #510 of 6,930

Thanks for the Info. The Tubes are already burnt in from previous use in my older amps, so should be fully good to go.  Yes Caps and other components have a time to bed in so will be putting some hours in with the Amp over the next few weeks.
 I have noticed that a lot of the midrange hardness is to do with other components outside the MJ2 as the midband is so revealing with the amp..  I changed the Stock Audeze balanced cable out for my preferred POCC silver plated one and that has improved the issue .Also I found with the LCDXC that changing the gain switch on different sources help to control the hardness as well but not sure why that is!!.
I have tried both my LCD-XC's and HD800's with the amp and its great with both and also with a few other low impedance phones and all were really good, So cracking on with putting some more hours in and feeling this amp will be my last one,  well for the time being LOL.

I am hearing inner detail on some tracks I've never heard before ,Like an artist swallowing between breaths when singing  ( Close miked)       well that's a bit special in my opinion !!!

Thanks again to RB and Shultzee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back