Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 13, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #481 of 6,930
  I don't think it mutes the preamp outs. At least it doesn't on mine. I found that annoying too.
I got around that problem by using SYS (although SYS serves more than 1 purpose for me).

It does not, and, from what I understand, that's by design. I don't really understand it, but that's how it is, I guess. That's a feature that I enjoy and use regularly on my Asgard 2. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 2:49 PM Post #482 of 6,930
  It does not, and, from what I understand, that's by design. I don't really understand it, but that's how it is, I guess. That's a feature that I enjoy and use regularly on my Asgard 2. 

Correct, that's my understanding too i.e. it's by design.
Hence I didn't fight it, just figured out a way to workaround it.

Oct 13, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #485 of 6,930
Interesting. Might be interesting to find out why it doesn't mute them. I have been considering the mj2 or the rag as a later upgrade to my lyr2 and that is one feature that is almost a deal breaker in my setup as the power switches for my monitors are on the back and a pain in the *** to get to.

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:25 PM Post #486 of 6,930
  It's funny/interesting you brought up Tyll's article.
I was going to A/B them again last night. But I happened to read Tyll's article before that and I decided to just listen to the ETHER the rest of the night :). I might pick the LCD-3 today and see how that goes ...

I agree with the A/B comparisons leading to flawed observations. For me it usually ends up being frustrating and makes the whole experience unenjoyable.

I agree with Deadie that I won't listen to both cans on the same day...takes that long for my head to readjust.  YMMV.  My guess is your LCD-3 sounded great the next day :).

Oct 13, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #487 of 6,930
Had a LCD-x and a AKG 812 pro at the same time and had the same thing.   Would choose one or the other for that evening.  Otherwise the 812 would sound to thin or the lcd-x to thick.   Crazy.

Oct 13, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #488 of 6,930

I agree with Deadie that I won't listen to both cans on the same day...takes that long for my head to readjust.  YMMV.  My guess is your LCD-3 sounded great the next day :).

Haha it sorta did :)
The best part was that I was able to enjoy my music both days with both the headphones. Without being stressed out while listening (which completely defeats the purpose of assembling this gear in the first place).

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #489 of 6,930
It should I believe. Schiit has said plugging in headphones should mute the preamp outs on their amps. Otherwise it would defeat the purpose of the preamp outs. I use them with my lyr2 and powered monitors and they mute when plugging in headphones, I would hate to have to power off my monitors every time I plug in my headphones so I don't have sound bleed from my speakers and open headphones. If yours doesn't mute the preamp outs I would check with schiit on it.

I was seriously considering MJ2, thinking to take it as both headamp and preamp in my setup. But now the choice is no longer obvious to me. I also find it a bit inconvenient to switch off my powered monitors every time when I use headphone because the power on/off buttons of my monitors are located at the rear of the monitors. 
If the preamp outs cannot be automatically muted, why not adding a switch and letting users select the output?

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #490 of 6,930

I was seriously considering MJ2, thinking to take it as both headamp and preamp in my setup. But now the choice is no longer obvious to me. I also find it a bit inconvenient to switch off my powered monitors every time when I use headphone because the power on/off buttons of my monitors are located at the rear of the monitors. 
If the preamp outs cannot be automatically muted, why not adding a switch and letting users select the output?

You can put a cheap AC remote control on your monitors to power them off using a remote. That's what I did, works fine. 

Oct 13, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #491 of 6,930

You can put a cheap AC remote control on your monitors to power them off using a remote. That's what I did, works fine. 

Yes, it's one solution of the issue. If I eventually buy MJ2, I think this is also what I am going to do.

I remember when the first generation of MJ hit the market, this issue was also a concern for many users. I thought Schiit might have tackled the issue in MJ2. I am quite disappointed to learn that the same issue persists.
If that is by design, then the design does not respond to the need of those who will take MJ2 also as a preamp.

Cheers

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #492 of 6,930
^ I don't recall Jason's explanations about this design point but it may be part of their goal of "best value for money".

And...Schiit have no evil plan to dominate the market with their product which is why - as I understand it - they willingly point potential purchasers to other manufacturers if Schiit's own products don't "respond to the[ir] need". Take a look at Jason's thread about the company if you haven't already - well worth reading.

No doubt Schiit have other evil plans but being all things to all people is not one of them :evil:

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:28 AM Post #493 of 6,930
My Mjolnir 2 arrived today. Signal chain is PC > Wyrd > Gungnir Multi Bit > Mjolnir 2

I won't say too much just yet because it's only been running for about 2 hours. Started off using it as a balanced pre-amp to my EVE SC205 monitors. It was harsh initially, but is quickly settling down.

The only headphones I've tried so far are HD800's. Very lightly Anax modded (only the foam trapezoid has been applied). Normally I use some form of EQ with the GMB > Valhalla 2 > HD800's, but for comparisons sake I've turned off all EQ.

The MJ2 is engaging as hell, for sure - I finally understand what people mean when they say that about the Mjolnir. This thing is so dynamic and lively. With the stock tubes, you can actually use stock HD800's and have a listenable experience. It's not perfect, the HD800's are still inherently bright and have that 6k peak, but it's not so ******* grating that I immediately have to turn EQ on. I'm still enjoying the sound immensely 
color]
. My immediate reaction is that it's certainly an upgrade from the Val2 for the HD800's.

It'll be interesting to see how this combo drives the LCD-X's in comparison to the Senn's.

Eventually I'll get around to properly comparing it with the Valhalla 2 for the HD800's/HD650's.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #494 of 6,930
I tested the M2 and it outputs volume on all its outputs (preamp SE, headphone balanced, and headphone SE) at the same time. I don't have any speakers with balanced inputs.

if needs a selector for speakers only vs headphones only vs speakers & headphones, I believe the ragnarok offers this feature set.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #495 of 6,930
I've never heard (almost) stock, un-equalized HD800's sound so engaging and musical. Of course, the entire signal chain deserves the credit here, but the MJ2 seems to have been the final piece of the puzzle.

I'll put the proper EQ back on eventually, but I legitimately don't have any urge to deviate right now. Sounds sublime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back