Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Oct 23, 2015 at 4:57 PM Post #526 of 6,930
  New owner here and a comment on burn in.

I got the M2 and some NOS Philips Mniwatts and on power up, sound was shifted to the low end. After about 20 hours, very neutral and resolving with the GMB. A great combo.

Congrats.  MJ2 is a awesome amp.

Oct 23, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #527 of 6,930

Congrats.  MJ2 is a awesome amp.

Yep. Since I haven't received my Ether C yet, I listening with my Laylas and very surprised how great the sound is and there is no noise on low gain. So impressed, I just ordered a XLR balanced adapter since my Laylas have the TRRS balanced termination.

Oct 24, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #529 of 6,930
^ Reddog posted comparisons. I found them worthwhile. Warning: IIRC, could be costly

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #532 of 6,930
Do you guys leave your MJ2 ON all the time ?
I don't and every time I fire it up to listen, a cold MJ2 doesn't sound very good. It has to become smoking hot before it sounds at it's best. Is this expected ?

Oct 25, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #533 of 6,930
I don't and every time I fire it up to listen, a cold MJ2 doesn't sound very good. It has to become smoking hot before it sounds at it's best. Is this expected ?

I don't leave mine on all the time.   I agree it needs to warm up but it doesn't take much time.   I probably have 40 hours total on mine at this point.

Oct 25, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #534 of 6,930

No I try not to leave any amp on all the time, especially tube amps. I agree the MJ2 sounds smoother, after a half-hour or so.

Oct 25, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #536 of 6,930
I don't leave mine on all the time.   I agree it needs to warm up but it doesn't take much time.   I probably have 40 hours total on mine at this point.

No I try not to leave any amp on all the time, especially tube amps. I agree the MJ2 sounds smoother, after a half-hour or so.

If Mjolnir 2 responds similar to Mjolnir 1, a good warmup will help a lot especially in the upper end.

Good thanks for the confirmation, I am glad I am not completely crazy (at least not yet :))

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #537 of 6,930
Ah, looks like this is the thread for tube rolling discussion on the Mjolnir 2. I stopped at the other thread before finding this one.

Quick question about the 6922 CCa Siemens Halske '65: Has anyone compared these to the RCA rebranded version? So far I'm really enjoying the added detail everywhere. Low frequency content is improved and very nicely controlled with these tubes when paired with my HD600s (with balanced cabling from source to hp). 

Prior to rolling these tubes, I spent about 100 hours on the supplied 6BZ7s. I really didn't dislike the original tubes, but I was too curious to try these mid 60s RCAs.

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #538 of 6,930
After a week of tube rolling my opinions are:

E88CC

Philips Mini-Watt SQ 60's - powerful bass, sweet mids, good treble, really nice spacious sound. Would recommend this for any cans where you want extra bass impact.

Tesla NOS 70's- fairly neutral, tighter bass, more treble extension, not as spacious or holographic as Philips. Best sound for the price.

Mastu****a Brimar Tooling 60's- very bright and airy, a bit too sibilant for me. Would recommend this for any cans needed more treble extension/presence.

6N23P

74 Reflektor Single Post, Silver Shield - best of the bunch so far. Less bass presence than Philips, but great extension to the sub bass, slight warmth to mids, very nice treble extension. Very spacious sound. Just sublime with acoustical tracks. Highly recommended and staying in my MJ2 for now.

75 Reflektor - will be testing them in a week or so. Borrowing from a friend who doesn't know he will be selling these to me yet 
ph34r.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #539 of 6,930
  After a week of tube rolling my opinions are:

E88CC

Philips Mini-Watt SQ 60's - powerful bass, sweet mids, good treble, really nice spacious sound. Would recommend this for any cans where you want extra bass impact.

Tesla NOS 70's- fairly neutral, tighter bass, more treble extension, not as spacious or holographic as Philips. Best sound for the price.

Mastu****a Brimar Tooling 60's- very bright and airy, a bit too sibilant for me. Would recommend this for any cans needed more treble extension/presence.

6N23P

74 Reflektor Single Post, Silver Shield - best of the bunch so far. Less bass presence than Philips, but great extension to the sub bass, slight warmth to mids, very nice treble extension. Very spacious sound. Just sublime with acoustical tracks. Highly recommended and staying in my MJ2 for now.

75 Reflektor - will be testing them in a week or so. Borrowing from a friend who doesn't know he will be selling these to me yet 
ph34r.gif

Thanks for the post.   Good info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back