Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Aug 29, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #121 of 6,930
Aug 29, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #123 of 6,930
Thanks.

Of course they don't really look that bright in real life but shooting with really high ISO on the camera, in low light,  and slow shutter speed, really brings out the fire in the tubes!

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #126 of 6,930
My Dad and I I both have Tube monger socket savers, and they do the trick nicely. I can't use them at the moment due to clearance issues (tubes are too tall with savers).

Someone else mentioned tape to help get at them. Post it notes, thick rubber bands, and stickers are also good. Corral the far side, steady the tube with your thumb or finger and gently pull straight up.

I've also found it helps to rock the tube in a circular motion while pulling it out (don't rotate it though). Sometimes just pulling straight up will make it snap release too forcefully. This is especially the case when the amp is new and the tube sockets are tight.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #127 of 6,930
I've also found it helps to rock the tube in a circular motion while pulling it out (don't rotate it though). Sometimes just pulling straight up will make it snap release too forcefully. This is especially the case when the amp is new and the tube sockets are tight.

Just take it nice and easy if you are going to use a circular motion, that wears the pins and socket. It's all gravy once the first tube is out, because you can stick your finger inside to help the second one out.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #128 of 6,930
  It's all gravy once the first tube is out, because you can stick your finger inside to help the second one out.

Can't believe I never thought of doing that. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #129 of 6,930
Aug 30, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #130 of 6,930

Can't believe I never thought of doing that. 

lol..I actually started taking the second one out with the tape trick before it clicked in...
eek.gif

I set my self up for the sarcastic comments with that one...lol

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #131 of 6,930
  I also highly recommend using some DeoxIT GxMD Gold - it acts as a lubicant and contact enhancer.

Comes in a single bottle or smaller tube:
http://www.amazon.com/DeoxITGOLD-Liquid-Brush-Applicator-Conditioner/dp/B0015A7CYG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1440894081&sr=8-3&keywords=deoxit+gold

and as a Vacuum Tube Cleaning Kit - the one I get, as I collect a lot of vintage tubes from the '50s, 60's, 70's, 80's etc..
http://www.amazon.com/Deoxit-Gold-Vacuum-Cleaning-Kit-2pack/dp/B00OJQSMN8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1440894134&sr=8-8&keywords=deoxit+tube+kit

Just apply a small amount on the lower half of the pins - wipe off the excess and pop them in.  Makes it so much easier to remove - and I do notice better sound quality after treatment.  On my favorite 6n23p vintage tubes - the DeoxIT D100 works great to remove the oxidation on the pins - I use the enclosed brush to gently brush the pins after soaking and wiping (special pads included in the kit)  - finally I apply the GxMD Gold to inhibit future oxidation and as contact enhancer.

No saying I'm a little OCD with my vintage tube collection.  They sure make my amps sing!

Cheers
beerchug.gif

I ordered some of the DeOxit, just to help prevent oxidation on the pins and other connections in my system. Are you sure it's safe for tubes and tube sockets?

Regarding the expensive tube pin cleaning kit, I think it's not needed.

Non gold tube pins which have oxidation on them, can be cleaned by gently scraping them with an exacto knife. And gold pins do not oxidize so no cleaning or treatment of those is needed. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #132 of 6,930

I ordered some of the DeOxit, just to help prevent oxidation on the pins and other connections in my system. Are you sure it's safe for tubes and tube sockets?

Regarding the expensive tube pin cleaning kit, I think it's not needed.

Non gold tube pins which have oxidation on them, can be cleaned by gently scraping them with an exacto knife. And gold pins do not oxidize so no cleaning or treatment of those is needed. 

I have been using the DeoxIT Gold for years (used to be called ProGold - now GxMD).  Perfectly safe.  That's why they include it in the 'Vacuum Tube Survival Kit'.  Just use a small amount - bottom half of the pins - wipe off excess.  More is not better in this case.  As the pins push into the socket, it will spread.  

You can use pure alcohol to clean mildly oxidized pins - I would not scrap them with a knife.  The pins travel through glass and strong vibrations can effect the vacuum seal - once that goes the tube is finished.

Been doing this a tube thing for a few decades - tried it all.  Soft tooth brush - gently brush is OK.  No metal brush or files.

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #133 of 6,930

I have been using the DeoxIT Gold for years (used to be called ProGold - now GxMD).  Perfectly safe.  That's why they include it in the 'Vacuum Tube Survival Kit'.  Just use a small amount - bottom half of the pins - wipe off excess.  More is not better in this case.  As the pins push into the socket, it will spread.  

You can use pure alcohol to clean mildly oxidized pins - I would not scrap them with a knife.  The pins travel through glass and strong vibrations can effect the vacuum seal - once that goes the tube is finished.

Been doing this a tube thing for a few decades - tried it all.  Soft tooth brush - gently brush is OK.  No metal brush or files.

Thanks. Makes sense. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #134 of 6,930

I also use both De-Oxit's on my tubes. First I give them a light scrub with a brass gun bore cleaning brush.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #135 of 6,930

I also use both De-Oxit's on my tubes. First I give them a light scrub with a brass gun bore cleaning brush.

Some of the reviews say the stuff actually improves sound quality. I can't wait to try it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back