Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 19, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #3,106 of 6,930
Yeah Jotunheim 2 and Bifrost 2 really created some struggle for existence for their "bigger brothers"
Bifrost 2 really seems like a high value option.
I started making a comparison table of the DACs.
One reason to go up is for the Adapticlock.
I do like the sampling readouts on the Yggdrasil.

Apr 19, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #3,108 of 6,930
Apr 19, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #3,109 of 6,930
Apr 19, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #3,111 of 6,930
I own the JOT 2 and the MJ2 and both are great amps. However I never thought my JOT 2 sounded like the MJ2 ( a tube amp). I do appreciate the JOT 2 is smaller and takes up less space. I think the JOT 2 is a very good solid state amp, powerful and versatile, all in a small package. However it does not have that old time tube goodness:wink:

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #3,112 of 6,930
I own the JOT 2 and the MJ2 and both are great amps. However I never thought my JOT 2 sounded like the MJ2 ( a tube amp). I do appreciate the JOT 2 is smaller and takes up less space. I think the JOT 2 is a very good solid state amp, powerful and versatile, all in a small package. However it does not have that old time tube goodness:wink:
Thanks Reddog. It's been a few years since I previously owned Gungnir Multibit A2 & MJ2. It was truly end game for me with Alpha Prime. A sudden unexpected change of work circumstances forced me to sell sadly. I actually really liked the size of them - it added to the presence they had on my lounge.

I don't think Jot 2 is for me....My heart is set on Gumby and MJ2...however this time round it may be Argon MK2 T50RP that I use - Argon is great fun with my current setup comprised of Modi Multibit and Lyr 2. I still have the same tubes I used previously and they will be perfect for MJ2.

Apr 19, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #3,114 of 6,930
I would imagine both Jot2 and MJ2 sound great, just different flavors. However, having purchased a MJ2, I may never get another head amp. Admittedly, I am not an avid headphone listener. I will always upgrade my amps, preamps, DAC, and my cans but the MJ 2 is my second favorite piece of equipment behind the Yggy.

Apr 19, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #3,115 of 6,930
I hope Schiit will release more high end tube amps in the future. Mjnolnir is pretty good but comparing to other tube amps on the market like Cayin, Pathos, WooAudio, its sound simply don't stand out. Schiit Freya produces much better tubey sound than MJ2 does

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #3,116 of 6,930
I hope Schiit will release more high end tube amps in the future. Mjnolnir is pretty good but comparing to other tube amps on the market like Cayin, Pathos, WooAudio, its sound simply don't stand out. Schiit Freya produces much better tubey sound than MJ2 does
Yeah the Freya+ is pretty amazing for the money.

Freya+ -> Jotunheim might be a crappy Form factor but certainly a great "tube amp" option in terms of sound.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #3,117 of 6,930
Have you rolled tubes in the MJ2? The MJ2 is a hybrid and does carry a lot of SS qualities like dynamics, and slam. Where it distances itself from those qualities is in the imaging and dimensional stage presence. I'm currently running CBS Hytron 7728(on adapters) in the (cap mod) MJ2 It handily bests the Woo Wa6 i had years ago in that regard, and that's with $850 worth of tube upgrades(WE 422a/BrimarCV1988 on adapters) in the Woo.

It really is sad to see it being discontinued. Me personally will keep my MJ2 as my amp in the foreseeable future. Especially since it's one of a kind(only 3 in existence). 2 others have theirs modded as well.
It has all the power I'll need and delivers the goods in spades.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #3,118 of 6,930
I love the sound from the Lyr 3 single out (with early 50's RCA's, you apparently have the Lyr 2) as a pre-amp out to the Jot2. Give it a try.

Apr 19, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #3,119 of 6,930
Have you rolled tubes in the MJ2? The MJ2 is a hybrid and does carry a lot of SS qualities like dynamics, and slam. Where it distances itself from those qualities is in the imaging and dimensional stage presence. I'm currently running CBS Hytron 7728(on adapters) in the (cap mod) MJ2 It handily bests the Woo Wa6 i had years ago in that regard, and that's with $850 worth of tube upgrades(WE 422a/BrimarCV1988 on adapters) in the Woo.

It really is sad to see it being discontinued. Me personally will keep my MJ2 as my amp in the foreseeable future. Especially since it's one of a kind(only 3 in existence). 2 others have theirs modded as well.
It has all the power I'll need and delivers the goods in spades.
I too am sad to see the passing of Moljnir-II and I am excitedly awaiting the MJ-II (with @ksorota capacitor mods) as a part of my listening system. I got my order in with Schiit just before “the drawbridge was raised”. The MJ-II’s amp brethren chez moi will be: Liquid Platinum (cap/mod), Vioelectric V280, Woo WA22, Woo WA3, and Woo WA6.

I was curious that “large size” was a consideration for the MJ-II’s passing. I do not have a ‘desktop’ setup but I realise that many HFiers do. Still, I am reluctant to think of Thor’s hammer as a ‘fisher-price’ sized plaything...

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:09 PM Post #3,120 of 6,930
I love the sound from the Lyr 3 single out (with early 50's RCA's, you apparently have the Lyr 2) as a pre-amp out to the Jot2. Give it a try.
I use my Gungnir and MJOLNIR 2 to watch TV, but for serious listening I use my Yggy and Cavalli Liquid Glass or Gold to get into the music. Although I do have some wonderful NOS Telefunken tubes for the MJ2, which makes my Frank Zappa or Felonious Monk sound wonderful

Users who are viewing this thread

Back