Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Feb 17, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #3,079 of 6,930
Any chance of a Mjolnir 3 coming out soon? The current model is released 5 years ago.

That is what I am expecting this year. I suspect it is going to get the Nexus/Continuity treatment like Jotunheim did late last year.

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #3,080 of 6,930
That is what I am expecting this year. I suspect it is going to get the Nexus/Continuity treatment like Jotunheim did late last year.
Schiit has said they don’t anticipate a new Mjolnir. I guess the MJ2 hasn’t sold like hot cakes either. I love mine and I am so glad I skipped the Jot2 for it!

Feb 18, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #3,082 of 6,930
Schiit has said they don’t anticipate a new Mjolnir. I guess the MJ2 hasn’t sold like hot cakes either. I love mine and I am so glad I skipped the Jot2 for it!

Yea, read about that too. I also a saw an interview where an interviewer asked when Jot 2 is gonna happen and Jason responded that it might happen. 1 month later Jot 2 got announced lol.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #3,084 of 6,930
Is the MJ Crossfet topology potentially compatible with these? I wouldn't have thought so for Nexus.

I not too familiar with topology compatibilty. I won't doubt Jason could make it happen though.

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #3,085 of 6,930
I not too familiar with topology compatibilty. I won't doubt Jason could make it happen though.
If what you're after is the buzzwords, sure! But those two specific buzzwords are about fixing problems that occur in the cheaper amps, but may not be relevant to the MJ2. Nexus is about integrating single ended and balanced capabilities, but MJ2 is 'inherently balanced'. Continuity is about the change from class A to class AB, but it may be that MJ2 never leaves class A anyway...

I'd like to see a MJ2+ with some of the Freya features added to what is already a great design.

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #3,086 of 6,930
If what you're after is the buzzwords, sure! But those two specific buzzwords are about fixing problems that occur in the cheaper amps, but may not be relevant to the MJ2. Nexus is about integrating single ended and balanced capabilities, but MJ2 is 'inherently balanced'. Continuity is about the change from class A to class AB, but it may be that MJ2 never leaves class A anyway...

I'd like to see a MJ2+ with some of the Freya features added to what is already a great design.

That would be perfect! Mjolnir 3 with a stepped attenuator and upgraded to 6SN7 tubes. One can dream right?

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #3,088 of 6,930

I am not after buzzwords, I am just suspecting something would be added or modified.

TIL Ragnorak is cheap.

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #3,089 of 6,930
There is no point of of getting Mjolnir 2 now considering Jotunheim and A90 offers similar performance with half of the price. Really hope Schiit can release a new model this year
Yeah, I'm kind of under the same impression at this point. I currently have a jot2 running balanced off of a gungnir multibit (a2) and I have a lyr3 running off of a bifrost 2, and, as much as I'd love to have a balanced tube hybrid, it doesn't seem like it's worth the jump considering how good the jot2 is at this point. Would love to see a MJ refresh with 6sn7 tubes though. I'd jump on that for sure! Anyone have any further opinions on this?

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #3,090 of 6,930
Yeah, I'm kind of under the same impression at this point. I currently have a jot2 running balanced off of a gungnir multibit (a2) and I have a lyr3 running off of a bifrost 2, and, as much as I'd love to have a balanced tube hybrid, it doesn't seem like it's worth the jump considering how good the jot2 is at this point. Would love to see a MJ refresh with 6sn7 tubes though. I'd jump on that for sure! Anyone have any further opinions on this?
I'd likely buy an Mj3, with some Freya+ updates, but honestly Mj2 is as good as it ever was, which is really, really good.

Here, an OG Gungnir Multibit drives Mj2 balanced, Lyr3 SE, and a OG Saga SE to VH2, Asgard2 and Jot1.

It all sounds great, and offers different synergies with various cans and tweakages, but Mj2 nearly always sounds best, to me.

I've thought about selling the rest as a Schiit Starter Kit, but it's just too much fun to play with. Lyr3 offers interesting tubing options, too.

Today, breaking in some NOS GE 6BZ7 with a recabled DT-1990 and Dave Matthews catalog. Cheap thrills. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back