Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Feb 1, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #3,061 of 6,930
I'm thinking about picking up a Mj2 to "replace" my Mj1. Can someone compare the two? Worth the upgrade?

Feb 1, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #3,062 of 6,930
I can't compare but even as I love the Mjolnir 2, I'm thinking of selling it because I've 3 other tube amps which I like more and that's not fair on the MJ2 because it has power and great slam. I am torn between keeping it and letting it go...... plus being a great preamp.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #3,063 of 6,930
I personally feel that it's worth the upgrade. The tube stage really takes it to a new level. Especially with some nice NOS tubes.
Plus you have a High and Low gain switch now making it more flexible.
I'm thinking about picking up a Mj2 to "replace" my Mj1. Can someone compare the two? Worth the upgrade?

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #3,064 of 6,930
I personally feel that it's worth the upgrade. The tube stage really takes it to a new level. Especially with some nice NOS tubes.
Thanks! I already have some upgraded tubes from my Echo so I can try those.

Feb 1, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #3,065 of 6,930

Oh yes can't agree more. The tubes are what makes me love the MJ2. Powerful, slam and a nice tube tone input. Not as much 2nd harmonic distortions for a lovely tube tone like a true tube amp but the MJ2 is in a class of it's own with it's tightness and slam as a hybrid.

Feb 1, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #3,066 of 6,930
Oh yes can't agree more. The tubes are what makes me love the MJ2. Powerful, slam and a nice tube tone input. Not as much 2nd harmonic distortions for a lovely tube tone like a true tube amp but the MJ2 is in a class of it's own with it's tightness and slam as a hybrid.
Mj2 order is in. Thanks for your input! I'll post this impressions when I receive it.

Feb 1, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #3,070 of 6,930
I'm changing my mind. Going to keep the MJ2. Just had a listen now with Bifrost 2 and He1000se and it's GOOD. :gs1000smile:
The Hifimans with the wood are the only ones that I found very enjoyable to look at. Being a fan of design and art, I really wanted something that was pretty. But being a musician, I also wanted it to sound good! If I dig the Arya's, that will be my next step. I LOVE how they look.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #3,071 of 6,930
The Hifimans with the wood are the only ones that I found very enjoyable to look at. Being a fan of design and art, I really wanted something that was pretty. But being a musician, I also wanted it to sound good! If I dig the Arya's, that will be my next step. I LOVE how they look.

I've borrowed my son's Arya and did a thorough comparison with my He1000se. He listen as well. We both agree that the He1000se is much better in resolution, control and precision. Bass is tighter and high notes has much more details. YMMV. I know Joshua Valour the reviewer prefers the cheaper Arya and that's ok. :) Some just prefer a more relax tone. FWIW I am of the opinion that the Arya is a great sounding headphone, especially with MJ2. You could have stop there and be very happy.

These 2 are my current favourite headphones with MJ2 and the rest of my amps, with the LCD-X a close 3rd. But I really want a LCD4 to replace the 3 and X.

IMG_1799.jpg

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #3,072 of 6,930
I've borrowed my son's Arya and did a thorough comparison with my He1000se. He listen as well. We both agree that the He1000se is much better in resolution, control and precision. Bass is tighter and high notes has much more details. YMMV. I know Joshua Valour the reviewer prefers the cheaper Arya and that's ok. :) Some just prefer a more relax tone. FWIW I am of the opinion that the Arya is a great sounding headphone, especially with MJ2. You could have stop there and be very happy.

These 2 are my current favourite headphones with MJ2 and the rest of my amps, with the LCD-X a close 3rd. But I really want a LCD4 to replace the 3 and X.

IMG_1799.jpg
I think you have exactly where I am heading. I want one pair of closed back and I think the Audeze is where I'm going to land when the time comes. One day I will definitely take those 1000se's for a test drive! Thanks for sharing!

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #3,073 of 6,930
Well , I'm going to see if I can revitalize this thread in the near future. Give some others who own an MJ2 something to think about. I'll be sending mine out to @ksorota probably at the end of this week to have it modded with some Elna Silmic ii caps.
We had a journey last summer with modding the Liquid Platinum and it paid huge dividends for that amp. Really took it to a new level of performance.
I'm going to play guinea pig once again with the MJ2. Lol.
I'll report back to this thread with my findings after the mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back