Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Apr 19, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #3,121 of 6,930
I use my Gungnir and MJOLNIR 2 to watch TV, but for serious listening I use my Yggy and Cavalli Liquid Glass or Gold to get into the music. Although I do have some wonderful NOS Telefunken tubes for the MJ2, which makes my Frank Zappa or Felonious Monk sound wonderful
My "wonderful" is different from yours. Good listening.

Apr 19, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #3,123 of 6,930
My wonderful hour+ 890663F3-A0B0-4C99-A4B3-0120EF00F983.jpeg

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #3,124 of 6,930
I too am sad to see the passing of Moljnir-II and I am excitedly awaiting the MJ-II (with @ksorota capacitor mods) as a part of my listening system. I got my order in with Schiit just before “the drawbridge was raised”. The MJ-II’s amp brethren chez moi will be: Liquid Platinum (cap/mod), Vioelectric V280, Woo WA22, Woo WA3, and Woo WA6.

I was curious that “large size” was a consideration for the MJ-II’s passing. I do not have a ‘desktop’ setup but I realise that many HFiers do. Still, I am reluctant to think of Thor’s hammer as a ‘fisher-price’ sized plaything...

Found some time today!!!

image.jpg

Time to run it in!

MJ1 is going to be my next project

Now if only there was a MJ3

Apr 19, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #3,125 of 6,930
Found some time today!!!

image.jpg

Time to run it in!

MJ1 is going to be my next project

Now if only there was a MJ3
I am impressed!

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #3,126 of 6,930
Thanks Reddog. It's been a few years since I previously owned Gungnir Multibit A2 & MJ2. It was truly end game for me with Alpha Prime. A sudden unexpected change of work circumstances forced me to sell sadly. I actually really liked the size of them - it added to the presence they had on my lounge.

I don't think Jot 2 is for me....My heart is set on Gumby and MJ2...however this time round it may be Argon MK2 T50RP that I use - Argon is great fun with my current setup comprised of Modi Multibit and Lyr 2. I still have the same tubes I used previously and they will be perfect for MJ2.
I still have my beloved red Alpha Primes and listen to them once a week. I even took them to my last hospital stay. But your Argon sounds like a great pair of cans

Apr 20, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #3,127 of 6,930
I still have my beloved red Alpha Primes and listen to them once a week. I even took them to my last hospital stay. But your Argon sounds like a great pair of cans
Nice. I miss mine. I dug out these pics today of my previous end-game rig. I realise now just how much I miss my old rig. Gonna be a while before I can afford this awesome Schiit stack again. Sigh.

Attachments

• 20170526_195544.jpg
    20170526_195544.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170526_195549.jpg
    20170526_195549.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170526_195603.jpg
    20170526_195603.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170526_195612.jpg
    20170526_195612.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20170526_195634.jpg
    20170526_195634.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #3,129 of 6,930
Found some time today!!!

That black six pack of capacitors (?) is impressive. And I just paid attention to the Soekris 2541, very nice DAC!

Apr 20, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #3,130 of 6,930
This is essentially a super version of the Monoprice LP mod from 2020. It takes the stock MJ2 and puts it up to 11!

The modification involves swapping out the stock power and input/output capacitors with Nichicon Muse/Finegolds or Elna Silmic IIs for increased dynamics and staging. The row of large caps on the left in the image includes 8 35v, (4 standing and 4 laying down) and two 250v caps (two at the front). This thing has a lot of power and the new capacitors help to more quickly discharge that power and increase the liveliness of the MJ2. The collective effect of the cap mod is to increase the overall dynamics and detail while also taming some of the brightness. The MJ2 chassis is fairly tightly packed, so it takes some work to get everything in their, but def. worth the efforts. I have been working with Sam for at least a month now on his and mine, and now am working on Jonathan's and I am impressed with it each time over stock.

Disclaimer:
If anyone is looking to do this mod themselves, make sure to discharge the caps before taking any of them off of the board. While doing Jonathan's, after traveling for a week direct from Schiit, the board was still holding 150volts in capacitance...easily able to do some damage to the board. I use a lightbulb to discharge, and check with a volt meter until I am down to 1 v or less.

Apr 20, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #3,131 of 6,930
This is essentially a super version of the Monoprice LP mod from 2020. It takes the stock MJ2 and puts it up to 11!

The modification involves swapping out the stock power and input/output capacitors with Nichicon Muse/Finegolds or Elna Silmic IIs for increased dynamics and staging. The row of large caps on the left in the image includes 8 35v, (4 standing and 4 laying down) and two 250v caps (two at the front). This thing has a lot of power and the new capacitors help to more quickly discharge that power and increase the liveliness of the MJ2. The collective effect of the cap mod is to increase the overall dynamics and detail while also taming some of the brightness. The MJ2 chassis is fairly tightly packed, so it takes some work to get everything in their, but def. worth the efforts. I have been working with Sam for at least a month now on his and mine, and now am working on Jonathan's and I am impressed with it each time over stock.

Disclaimer:
If anyone is looking to do this mod themselves, make sure to discharge the caps before taking any of them off of the board. While doing Jonathan's, after traveling for a week direct from Schiit, the board was still holding 150volts in capacitance...easily able to do some damage to the board. I use a lightbulb to discharge, and check with a volt meter until I am down to 1 v or less.
Can you post a "before" pic?

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #3,132 of 6,930
Nice. I miss mine. I dug out these pics today of my previous end-game rig. I realise now just how much I miss my old rig. Gonna be a while before I can afford this awesome Schiit stack again. Sigh.
That was a sweet emd-game headphone rig system. I hope you eventually get another system soon

Apr 20, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #3,133 of 6,930

Disclaimer:
Fascinating for an interested non-EE...damage to the board...how about damage to digits and nerves?....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back