Schiit Mjolnir 2 Listening Impressions
Jun 14, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #2,986 of 6,933
I use HD800 balanced on MJ2, and it is a very good pairing. The specific color will have of course more to do with the tubes than the amp itself - MJ2 is the picture of robustness, flexibility, and clarity. Mine is 4+ years old and is good as new. I am getting itchy for the Rag 2, but have no objective reason to buy it. My Amperex orange globes from 1968 sound lovely, but I am at such peace with the pairing that I have stopped hearing Mjolnir and HD800 - I now listen merely to Wagner and Beethoven.

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #2,987 of 6,933
So I've had my Mjolnir 2/Gungnir combo for a couple of years now I think. The Mjolnir 2 is a fantastic amp that drives everything I've thrown at it without using high gain. Can anyone confirm that the single ended output isn't gimped in any way compared to the balanced? I haven't heard any sonic differences between balanced/single ended cables on LCD-3, Z1R, and HD800S so I don't think it is. I'd rather not spend money on extra balanced cables if I don't have to. Thank you.

Jun 21, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #2,988 of 6,933
So I've had my Mjolnir 2/Gungnir combo for a couple of years now I think. The Mjolnir 2 is a fantastic amp that drives everything I've thrown at it without using high gain. Can anyone confirm that the single ended output isn't gimped in any way compared to the balanced? I haven't heard any sonic differences between balanced/single ended cables on LCD-3, Z1R, and HD800S so I don't think it is. I'd rather not spend money on extra balanced cables if I don't have to. Thank you.
It actually loses most of the available power with the single ended output.
It's limited to 2W instead of the 8W from the balanced out.
Usually you can hear a difference in headphones that scale well with power

Jun 21, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #2,989 of 6,933
It actually loses most of the available power with the single ended output.
It's limited to 2W instead of the 8W from the balanced out.
Usually you can hear a difference in headphones that scale well with power
I appreciate your response. I thought the LCD-3 was relatively power hungry but didn't notice any significant differences other than volume. Maybe I just wasn't listening closely enough.

Jun 30, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #2,990 of 6,933
Pigtails are messy, This is the switch box I’m using it’s great it’s passive
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Balanced-Converter-Audio-Selector/dp/B07D7P7366
I need an XLR switcher that allows me to use my balanced DAC with three different amplifiers.

I've read positive comments about these two switchers:
https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Audio-Balanced-Converter-Selector/dp/B07QVKPR2V/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Nobsound+1-IN-3-OUT+XLR+Audio+Switch+;+Balanced+Audio+Converter+;+3-Way+Stereo+Passive+Audio+Selector+Switcher+(MC103+Pro+3-Out)&qid=1593517314&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-Balanced-Converter-Audio-Selector/dp/B07D7P7366?tag=headfi-20

But so far no comments about this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stereo-3...3?hash=item3f70c4a363:g:Z1AAAOSw505dm6~C#rwid

As I have cerebral palsy, the unit with three rocker switches would be easier for me to operate, but I don't know if it will function as I require. It's advertised as a "3-input / 1-output" device, so I emailed to ask them if it can be used as a "1-input / 3-output" device and this is the response I got:

"both of 2 are supports
best wishes
Douk Audio"

I'm assuming this is a yes but just wanted to double check in case I'm missing anything?

Are there differences between this rocker switch unit and the two Nobsound units that would mean one having superior transparency and longevity than the other, in terms of the quality of the components and complexity of the design?

Also, with regards to the switcher with the rockers, I'm assuming it can function as both a switcher and a splitter, depending how the rocker switches are set? i.e. if all rocker switches are in the 'on' position then the signal will be output to all three amps simultaneously? Most of the time I'll just be using it as a 1-in / 1-out switching device, so as long as the DAC doesn't "see" the input impedance of the two amplifiers connected to the rocker switches in the 'off' position then the performance of the DAC shouldn't be affected, should it?*

* I currently have my DAC connected to two amps with a basic XLR splitter cable and don't experience any performance issues, unless I introduce an amp that shorts its inputs when it's switched off, which then causes distortion in the other amp and means I can't listen to clean audio unless both amps are turned on. Hence the importance of the switcher being able to isolate the other amp/s if need be.

EDIT - One final question: With the MC3 (3-input / 3-output unit), what happens when you send an XLR input to the RCA output? i.e. does the 4Vrms balanced signal remain at 4Vrms or is it halved to 2Vrms? (I'd hope it would be halved to 2Vrms as most amplifiers single-ended inputs are only rated for 2Vrms).

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 1:41 AM Post #2,991 of 6,933
I think I have a similar question to the above actually, and was about to just buy more components before stopping to think about it. I recently moved and I think I want 3 setups now in my office as I now live with my girlfriend and can't use my speakers all the time.

1. Florostanding Speakers
2. Listening Chair w/ Headphones
3. Computer Desk w/ Headphones

My components available (i.e., currently owned or planned to purchase)

1. Gungnir Multibit
2. Gungnir Multbit
3. Mjolnir 2
4. NAD M22
5. (When I get it) Freya+, sold my OG Freya, waiting for a good used one. I never really used the tubes and the newer model will actually turn them off when not in use.

I was initially going to get another DAC for my desktop listening setup before I realized I should work through the connections of using one Gumby to run my speakers or the MJ2. (Initially, I had bought two Gumbys because one was at home for speakers, one was at work for headphones). I'll never use the speakers and MJ2 at the same time. Gumby has a single pair of balanced outputs out. I want to get those to either the Freya+ and then the M22, or to the MJ2.

I could buy an inexpensive manual XLR switcher like the above poster linked and probably be completely fine. That would let me share the Gumby over in a corner of the room and run two outputs. But... the MJ2 can act as a preamp! Theoretically, I could do Gumby -> MJ2 -> M22 and then either listen through my headphones, or listen through the M22 and not have to buy a Freya+. Just to confirm though — I cannot do this without running through the tube stage on the MJ2, right?

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #2,992 of 6,933
Contemplative. ATM:

Gumby=>Mjolnir2 (Brimar CV4033) into HD800S(Misodiko & Draug2)

My endgame. But I know I like Brimar CV1988 in Valhalla2 & Lyr3, so spacious and as relaxed as pina coladas on the beach.

So, wondering if anyone's made adaptors that bring out the filament pins, so that nutballs could power up 6SN7's in the Mjolnir2.

Ham guy, so I can provide DC for filaments at any voltage and reasonable current.

I could fabricate, but has this already been done?

Aug 4, 2020 at 5:39 AM Post #2,993 of 6,933
Joining the Mjolnir / Gung gang here in short order.....slowly made my way through this thread ....just in case, has anyone replaced the fuse that blows out themselves......?

Aug 5, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,994 of 6,933
I do not have experience with blow fuse on my Mjolnir, but couple of people reported that on this thread.

Aug 6, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #2,995 of 6,933
I had to send my Mjolnir to Schiit when it just stopped working. Turned out there was that fuse, and it had blown. I paid for postage to, they did repair and return at no cost to me other than being without the amp. I don’t recall any explanation as to why the fuse blew.

Aug 6, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #2,996 of 6,933
Were these fuse blown on recent MJ2 purchases, or on MJ2s that were bought a long while ago with usage?

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #2,997 of 6,933
I had to send my Mjolnir to Schiit when it just stopped working. Turned out there was that fuse, and it had blown. I paid for postage to, they did repair and return at no cost to me other than being without the amp. I don’t recall any explanation as to why the fuse blew.
Was your Mjolnir still under manufacture warranty when that happened to you?

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #2,998 of 6,933
I received it in March 2018, and had sent it in I think March of this year....definitely within its 5 year warranty. I used it moderately, as I have two other desktop amps as well.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #2,999 of 6,933
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had any positive experiences with using power filtering/DC blockers/etc with the MJ2?

My unit has a nice transformer hum when you turn it in, last for 20 seconds then silent; I've read a few places that a DC blocker should resolve this but curious what others have had success with?

Also regarding the blown fuses is this more common on the 110v models or 240v?

Thankyou

Aug 8, 2020 at 10:13 PM Post #3,000 of 6,933
159693917467772012582802047827.jpg

One good schiit stack is all you need, and you can spend all your listening time with it and not bother about upgrading anymore.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back