Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Oct 17, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #1,846 of 2,252
So I'm just getting into vinyl, and a friend's helped me select some decent very entry-level equipment. I've got a nice speaker set up going, but I need a headphone setup now.

Most of the Magni discussion I've seen has revolved around using it with a DAC. I'm looking for one good to use with a turntable, though.

Would the Magni be a good choice if I'm looking for something to fill the volume-control blank in a chain of turntable:V-LPS phono stage:source selector: ??? :headphones (Senn HD 555s)?

Oct 18, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #1,849 of 2,252
I just purchased a Magni, and I've run into several issues with it, which I think are related to grounding. I've been in touch with the Schiit techs, and they think the issue may be DC power on my AC line, but I figured I would run my situation by you all to see if you had any suggestions before I started trying to buy voltmeters and power conditioners and the like. The following is the original email I sent to the techs:
I just received my new Magni, and I’ve run into what I think may be some sort of grounding issue. My super old house doesn’t have grounded outlets, and I’m experiencing odd conductance-related issues with the Magni. I’ve never used a dedicated headphone amp before, so I wanted to know whether the problems I describe are A) a function of the Magni’s design (i.e., perhaps I could get an Asgard and solve the issue), B) a generic problem with all mains-powered headphone amplifiers, or C) problems with the specific Magni I received (i.e., I should send it back for a replacement).
I performed a variety of tests, putting the Magni on a circuit with or without other electronics, on both Sennheiser HD 280 Pro (64 Ohm) and Sennheiser PX 100 II (32 Ohm) headphones. Since both headphones use a 3.5mm jack, I used a 6.3mm adapter (several different adapters, actually, to make sure none of them was the issue):

Solo circuit test, no source (Magni is the only thing on the circuit other than lights, no audio cables plugged in, just power and headphones):

Both the HD 280s and the PX 100 IIs performed essentially the same in this test, so I’m not listing the results separately:
•    When I turn the volume pot between 9:00 and 10:00, there is a scratchy sound in the left channel. The sound isn’t persistent, just something that occurs when you’re moving the pot.
•    10-11: Scratchy sound in right channel, again only when moving pot.
•    When I turn the volume above 2:00 or so on the pot, I hear mains hum. Touching the volume pot with exposed skin (or anything else conductive) amplifies the hum. Touching the chassis of the Magni amplifies the hum, but much less than touching the volume pot.
•    Touching the exposed section of the 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter at the same time you’re touching the volume pot (completing the circuit, presumably) kills the hum. Oddly, touching the adapter at the same time you’re touching the chassis only dampens the hum, doesn’t get rid of it completely.
Office circuit test, no source: (Plugging in the Magni on a circuit with computer, phone, printer, etc., still no audio cables/source.)

HD 280 Results, based on level of volume pot:
•    7-9: Silence.
•    9-10: There is a very quiet hum (not mains, different sounding) in the left channel that gets amplified whenever I touch the Magni (significantly when I touch the volume pot, less so when I touch the chassis.) This hum can’t be dampened or killed by completing a circuit between the headphone adapter and the pot or chassis). Still have scratchy sound in left channel when moving pot.
•    10-11: Even quieter hum in right channel, amplified in similar manner by touching pot or chassis. Scratchy sound in right channel still present.
•    11-5: Mains hum becomes noticeable at 11 now, instead of 2. Also, killing behavior is inverted from solo circuit test: Touching pot + adapter dampens the hum, while touching chassis + adapter kills it outright.

Performing the same test with the PX 100 IIs:
•    7-8: Hum in right channel, not amplified by touch.
•    8-9: Dead silence.
•    9-10: Quiet hum (amplified by touch) in right channel, opposite of HD 280s.
•    10-11: Silence.
•    11-5: Same mains hum behavior as with HD 280s.

Office circuit test, Xonar DX soundcard source (via 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable), but all sound muted on computer (essentially just looping the computer into the circuit):

HD 280:
•    7-11: Same results as no source test (hums, scratch, etc…).
o    One exception: at right around 11, if I touch the volume pot, I can sometimes get a high pitched whistling sound.
•    11-3:30: Silence (no mains hum).
•    3:30-4: Scratchy sound in right channel.
•    4-5: Scratchy sound in left channel, and a hum similar to 9-10 hum in left channel, though seemingly not amplified by touch.

PX 100 II:
•    7-10: Same results as no source test (hums, scratch, etc…).
o    At right about 10, I can get the same whistle I pick up at 11 o’clock on the HD 280s.
•    10-3:30: Silence.
•    3:30-5: Scratchy sound and hum in right channel, not touch amplified.

An office circuit test with music playing on the computer had the exact same results as the muted test, although the music somewhat masked the hum/scratch/whistle.

Since then, I've also tested sourcing the Magni from a phone and a Nintendo DS, and experienced the same issues with both (ruling out the computer/soundcard output as the issue).

Any ideas on other potential solutions, or should I be ordering a voltmeter from Amazon as the next step?

Alternately, are there other cheap amplifiers (< $100) available that are less susceptible to old/poor wiring? Should I be looking at a USB DAC/Amp combo like a FiiO E10?

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #1,850 of 2,252
Hello Alamei and welcome to head-fi!

Just go a few pages back...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/640783/schiit-magni-headphone-amplifier/1815#post_9851119

I was experiencing similar "scratchy" noise at about 9 to 11 o'clock. Keep reading below my post for users inputs and even Jason's explanation on this. In my case it turned out to be the headphone cable I was using with my AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru headphones!

Good luck!

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,851 of 2,252
I was experiencing similar "scratchy" noise at about 9 to 11 o'clock. Keep reading below my post for users inputs and even Jason's explanation on this. In my case it turned out to be the headphone cable I was using with my AIAIAI TMA-1 Young Guru headphones!  
Good luck!

I saw that exchange, but it sounded like your issue was resolved by switching cables, whereas my issue remains when swapping cables/headphones/everything I can except the wall wart (which I don't have an extra of to test). I originally thought that the scratchy noises were a problem with the pot, since they only showed up in certain ranges, but since many of the issues seemed to be tied to (or amplified by) conductive contact, I figured I would try to sort that problem out before determining whether there was a separate issue with the pot.

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,852 of 2,252
Alamei,

This might sound like a really simple suggestion -- have you tried taking your Magni to other places that have better grounded outlets?

Oct 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #1,854 of 2,252

I'm currently in the process trying to find some place with good wiring and grounding to test it (my whole neighborhood is old, poorly wired houses).

That kind of sucks.
If it turns out NOT to be the amp, then you will probably face the same issues with other amps...

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #1,855 of 2,252
I remembered that our kitchen was remodeled somewhat recently and tested the outlets. It turns out our kitchen actually has real grounds, unlike the rest of the house. Testing the Magni in the kitchen gets rid of the hum, but leaves the volume pot scratching noises. So perhaps the hum is related to lack of grounding/bad wiring and the scratchy sound is just a bad volume pot?

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #1,856 of 2,252
I just placed an order for a Magni about 5 minutes ago (yay!) I already have (and love) a Modi that I use with my Audioengine A2s and I just got my first pair of decent headphones  Beyer DT990/250s) in the mail this earlier week. Needless to say I'm pretty excited.

Oct 18, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #1,857 of 2,252
  I just placed an order for a Magni about 5 minutes ago (yay!) I already have (and love) a Modi that I use with my Audioengine A2s and I just got my first pair of decent headphones  Beyer DT990/250s) in the mail this earlier week. Needless to say I'm pretty excited.

I'm in a similar boat myself, just ordered some DT880 600ohms and a magni/modi combo...cannot wait to try them out when they arrive.

Oct 22, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #1,860 of 2,252
I've been thinking of buying an amp, and I would like to know if it is possible to run this amp through RCA -> USB?
and also how does the modi/magni compared to the leckerton UHA-6S.MKII and JDS's C5?
I know I'm making a comparison of an portable amp to a desktop amp, but I would like to know how this 2 products compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back