Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Feb 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #1,261 of 2,252
Quote:
Blarg, my brand new Magni just decided to quit on me after a day.  It sounded so nice too.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Edit: For clarification, I was using it for about 8 hours yesterday, and then when I tried turning it on this morning I got nothing.  I tried several different wall outlets with the wall wart that came with it.

Got a multimeter?  Maybe it's the wall wart?

Feb 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,262 of 2,252
Quote:
Got a multimeter?  Maybe it's the wall wart?

It's usually the wall wart. We'll swap it out in any case. We've started pre-testing the wall-warts, but...argh. Sorry for the trouble.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 10, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,263 of 2,252
I wish Astrodyne or someone else made a super duper high quality Wall wart for the Magni.
Lately i've been a believer that a power supply can make slight audible improvements.
Maybe not for the Magni, but who knows..

I guess nobody wants to pay $50-$75 for a 1% improvement.
biggrin.gif

NOTE: nothing wrong with the one that comes with the Magni to my ears.

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #1,264 of 2,252
I just picked up my M/M stack last week, and so far it's amazing!  The power cable on the Magni is a bit finicky, though.  Anyone else experiencing this?  When I first plug it in, the little status LED flickers a bit.  If I jiggle the plug on the back of the unit, it clears up, though.  It's not a big concern, just wondering if I'm alone in this.  Thoughts?

Feb 10, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #1,265 of 2,252
Quote:
I just picked up my M/M stack last week, and so far it's amazing!  The power cable on the Magni is a bit finicky, though.  Anyone else experiencing this?  When I first plug it in, the little status LED flickers a bit.  If I jiggle the plug on the back of the unit, it clears up, though.  It's not a big concern, just wondering if I'm alone in this.  Thoughts?

Email them. They'll fix it ASAP!
I had that issue and I was only out of my Magni a couple days. Got a free shipping label too.

Feb 10, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #1,266 of 2,252
Quote:

Email them. They'll fix it ASAP!
I had that issue and I was only out of my Magni a couple days. Got a free shipping label too.

I think I will.  I just don't relish the thought of being without my newly-acquired piece of kit for any length of time.  

They seem to have a reputation for really being on the ball with this type of thing.  I don't expect it will be too much of a hassle.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,267 of 2,252
Quote:

They seem to have a reputation for really being on the ball with this type of thing.

Yeah, when I e-mailed my issue to support, I got a pretty speedy reply.  I understand that defects happen, but at least I feel like I'm in good hands.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #1,268 of 2,252
I cant remember where I saw it, but I got my magni a few days ago, used it once and it would not power back on, so I sent it back.  Hoping this will get resolved.

Feb 10, 2013 at 11:36 PM Post #1,269 of 2,252
Quote:
I wish Astrodyne or someone else made a super duper high quality Wall wart for the Magni.
Lately i've been a believer that a power supply can make slight audible improvements.
Maybe not for the Magni, but who knows..

The Magni wall wart is just a power transformer, not a complete power supply. It just steps down the mains 120VAC to 16VAC. All the important stuff (rectification/voltage doubling/reservoir capacitance/voltage regulation) is done inside the Magni.

se

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #1,272 of 2,252
He's talking about the number of bits. 1 byte (ASCII character) = 8 bits.

Feb 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #1,273 of 2,252
Quote:
To convert it to ASCI, it must be divisible by 8.

Quote:
He's talking about the number of bits. 1 byte (ASCII character) = 8 bits.

Yes, obviously it's not bytes, but binary is just a base-2 system. Oh, and technically ASCII is 7-bit; most extended character sets match the 128 that ASCII provides and then go from there, but they aren't actually ASCII.

...anyways, enough derailment (you know you're a programmer when...)

Feb 11, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #1,274 of 2,252
After a weekend of listening to my schiit magni on my beyer DT 770's i must say "That's some good Schiit" i outputed my Titanium HD to the magni and listened to all types of music and was very impressed. Later on switched over to game mode and played some FPS games threw X-FI CMSS-3D and clarity and 3-d postioning where spot on. there's nothing like motar fire exploding  and feeling like you just got cratered. very impressed! hope schiit keeps up the good work. worth ever $$$ i spent on the magni.

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #1,275 of 2,252
It seems like, if you get a good Magni, then it impresses.  Though, with the Modi... it is less of a bargain and probably better to look elsewhere for the DAC portion?  I like the look of the two together, but I don't want to throw $$$ away on a Modi if I'll not be as impressed with the price/performance ratio...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back