Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #1,231 of 2,252
Quote:
Yeah I see that.  Add points to the new Asgard 2 for more versatility.  

The first Schiit amplifier that I find interesting... Not sure about how good it sounds though.

Feb 8, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #1,233 of 2,252
Oh dear, that Asgard 2 looks nice... well, my Magni's still returnable 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #1,234 of 2,252
Quote:
No offense intended my man. My post is aimed at high end dogma, not you personally. The sharply humorous tone of their web site tells me they are doing some poking; at the industry, at everyone, including themselves. See we can be in it, and laugh at it at the same time. What's wrong with offering a way for their customers to decide if the better parts make a difference to them, or if they want to cook their burgers or not? Now there's "Asgard 2". I really want to see an upgrade power supply for this thing. lololololol.

Good man! Im glad i didnt upset you either. Wasnt intended to. The Asgard 2 is looking very nice indeed, and i TOTALLY agree about the power supply. Not that you notice when your listening to it. I noticed my MBP power supply does it too (and gets HOT), but not as loud as the Schiit i demoed. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,235 of 2,252
Quote:

The first Schiit amplifier that I find interesting... Not sure about how good it sounds though.

If you are not interested in Schiit amps, how did you end up on page 83 of a Schiit amp thread?

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,236 of 2,252
Quote:
If you are not interested in Schiit amps, how did you end up on page 83 of a Schiit amp thread?

I didn't say that I am not interested in Schiit products... Just that their amps/DACs so far were rather off to my liking (price / performance and features ratio). This updated Asgard looks linteresting for the money... Not for me exactly since I already have more suitable unit, but in general - it could be nice and versatile for its gain switch and preamp section (and low output impedance, ...).

Feb 8, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,237 of 2,252
Just got my schiit magni it the mail today WooHoo! my first headphone amp and just in time for the weekend i see late nights ahead for me

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #1,238 of 2,252
Just got a Magni. Very impressed! Easily as good as the Asgard only without the bulk and heat. Very clever little machine. This will easily compete with a lot of good mid price amps out there. Frightening
eek.gif

Yeah the volume pot doesn't leave much room for low impedance cans, but suppose a lot of 650, Beyer types will be happy with the gain. Luckily there is no imbalance at the lowest setting of the volume.
Nice to find a true hifi bargain again, especially these days :) I think the last time I was this impressed with a budget componant was the Vdac.

Right, we just need top tier headphones to come back down to earth regarding prices and then we'll all be one big happy family
k701smile.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #1,239 of 2,252
I picked up a Magni/Modi stack and a pair of Mad Dogs with the new Alpha pads. Magni does a great job juicing up my MDs. Went with the PYST cables but the length is off for the stack, makes the end of the Magni lift up. The quick solution was one of my wife's little black hair bands. It had just enough force on the cables to hold the Magni down without putting too much bend in the cable. 

Slightly off-topic questions: I have a LG plasma TV that I bought a year or so ago. It doesn't have a headphone out, but does have RCA outs. There shouldn't be any problem hooking up my Magni through the RCA outs into my MDs right? Will I have to worry about anything going wrong there? Anyone tried something similar with their Magni?

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #1,240 of 2,252
Quote:
Slightly off-topic questions: I have a LG plasma TV that I bought a year or so ago. It doesn't have a headphone out, but does have RCA outs. There shouldn't be any problem hooking up my Magni through the RCA outs into my MDs right? Will I have to worry about anything going wrong there? Anyone tried something similar with their Magni?

It'll work! Unless the ports on the TV are marked audio out though, make sure you're pulling the analog audio out of the cable/satellite box or dvd/bluray player. Keep in mind, you'll be using the TV's DAC or the player's DAC, might not be as good as the Modi.

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #1,241 of 2,252
Yeah TV's DAC's suck. Im having the same issue now when deciding how to fit my new system to the TV (Blumenstien Audio Orcas, twin stereo subs, external matched 2X250W stereo amps, all stand, all in caramelised bamboo + miniwatt N3 as the main amp to source). In the end i ordered a Fiio D07:
http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000039443512&MenuID=105026003
Not really sure what the difference between this and the D03k is though? 

In any case hoping this helps with your issue too.

Feb 9, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #1,242 of 2,252
Sooo my Schiit Magni arrived DOA :frowning2: The unit powers up (LED comes on), but won't produce any sound unless cranked up to max volume, and even then it's extremely faint.

I emailed their support last night around 8pm, and they replied within a half hour! They're gonna setup a R/E for a new one. Quite pleased with their customer service, really bummed that my first purchase from Schiit was DOA 

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:00 PM Post #1,243 of 2,252
Just couldn't hear the love. 
Sold em'

Ordered an Asgard2 and another Bifrost.  

Feb 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,244 of 2,252
Quote:
Just couldn't hear the love. 
Sold em'

Ordered an Asgard2 and another Bifrost.  

Please let us know about Asgard 2... I am interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back