Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Feb 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,156 of 2,252
Quote:
Any way to fix static coming through the magni?
I'm using a powerline networking in my house and it seems to be sending static through the magni to my headphones (mostly the right side)
Every outlet in my room is connected so doesn't matter where I plug it
Also, I can't really move either of these to another room
Anything I can buy to "filter" out the static?

I have posted my love of this product before:
http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=02&id=AC-215A

Sadly it costs more than the Magni
http://www.amazon.com/Furman-AC-215A-Conditioner-Auto-Resetting-Protection/dp/B003PJ6NPO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360001976&sr=8-1&keywords=furman+ac-215a

I bought it for my Lyr, prior to adding a Magni

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM Post #1,159 of 2,252
Quote:
Any way to fix static coming through the magni?
I'm using a powerline networking in my house and it seems to be sending static through the magni to my headphones (mostly the right side)
Every outlet in my room is connected so doesn't matter where I plug it
Also, I can't really move either of these to another room
Anything I can buy to "filter" out the static?

Go to radioshack and ask them for a Ferrite Core or Ferrite Bead. They cost $3 for a package of 3. You can put one on the power cable.
You can also make sure to use an interconnect cable that's very well shielded. Mogami or the very thick Monoprice cables are good. The thinner ones have poor shielding.
Even some headphones have poor shielding on the wires.

Most all surge protectors have noise filtering too, but I hate using them.

BTW I suggest going to target and getting an RCA to 3.55mm cable called the "Ge Ultra Pro". It clear and you can see it has very good metal shielding. Costs $9..or Monoprice will work.

I don't know if any of these things will work, but it's worth a try.

Also.. if you use a DAC, try to use USB cables with a ferrite bead on them. I got mine from Monoprice.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,161 of 2,252
Spent 5 hours listening to the Magni today. Hate it when I say that..sounds so wrong..
Best compliment I can give the Magni is that it sounds exactly like what's hooked up to it's RCA jacks. No coloration of it's own that I can detect. Some minor improvements though.
Said it a million times, but I no longer find it bright. When it's bright it's usually the recordings fault (or the headphone).

You can easily get the Magni to sound awful with a poor source. It's only as good as what's connected to it, so make sure you buy a Bifrost as the minimum. Ok, only kidding.
I normally use the ODAC.

I was using the Magni today at the office with less than perfect sources. First tried the Sansa Clip+. Sounds awful with my DJ100 (headphone hates that player). Switched to a portable CD player with line out. Even worse..why? well it's a "house brand" from Best Buy I got for $12. I used an old 2002 Panasonic portable and it was a lot better, but I think that thing has rolled off treble and it's not all that clear. Reminds me of the SCPH-1001 somehow.

Best I tried was the Ipod Touch 2G. It's just so stupid easy to tell the differences between sources on this thing. This source is not warm at all unlike the Clip+ and sounds perfect with the LOD to Magni and the DJ100/HD-650 or another warm headphone. Pretty much wowed with it. Sounds crystal clear.

What's amusing is the Ipod Touch 2G with Magni is pretty revealing of source files! The variation between song quality is just baffling. Within a span of 2 hours I got super thin mids, full mids, bloated bass and all sort of weird things due to the recordings (NOTHING else). Every song was basically how I remembered it. This variation between recording I haven't experienced since I had the DT-880.

The Ipod Touch 2G (LOD) reminds me of the ODAC in a way. The ODAC sounds smoother though. Sometimes the treble on the 2G sounds a bit edgy, but I know this is probably impossible..

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM Post #1,162 of 2,252
Good review, thanks! Sheds a bit more light on what this little thing is compared to its older siblings it apparently sounds the same as. Having never heard it, but only being amazed by its cute stature and seemingly good construction when I picked up my wa7, I'm intrigued by the concept of this tiny cheap little amp. Albeit perplexed by what would be inside for the price and what kind of profit margin could possibly be involved in the tiny little tank tank. Exciting times we live in!

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,163 of 2,252
Good review, thanks! Sheds a bit more light on what this little thing is compared to its older siblings it apparently sounds the same as. Having never heard it, but only being amazed by its cute stature and seemingly good construction when I picked up my wa7, I'm intrigued by the concept of this tiny cheap little amp. Albeit perplexed by what would be inside for the price and what kind of profit margin could possibly be involved in the tiny little tank tank. Exciting times we live in!

What's inside? Apparently more-or-less the amplification stage from the Bifrost according to Jason.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,165 of 2,252
Quote:
Santina, you will need to use a step-down(under:) transformer as the original wall wart coming with the magni runs on 110V-120V.

Quote:
[size=10pt]The Australian Schiit distributor is currently testing/sourcing step down transformers for the Mangi. I plan on purchasing one so I can message you the transformer details when I have one. [/size]

[size=10pt]By the way if you're planning on ordering direct from schitt.com I've heard on this forum that Schiit won’t ship the Mangi to Australia because of the deal they have with the local distributer.[/size]

Thanks guys.

Simonpking, do you mean addictedtoaudio? Normally I would buy from them, but they seem to charge quite a high markup for all their products.

Really - I never knew we couldn't buy from Schiit directly, I have gotten to the checkout stage previously before checking my wallet and cancelling my order. Sucks that we have to pay a large markup for products.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #1,166 of 2,252
[size=10pt]Yes addictedtoaudio are the local distributors. Exorbitant markups by local distributors drive me nuts. Even with sales tax, shipping costs and GST considered I don’t see how some companies can justify the markup. Last year I bought a bunch of Sonos speakers directly from the states to avoid a completely ludicrous 150% markup![/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]Lets see [size=x-small]addictedtoaudio are selling Magni's for - $196 USD. Hmmm...[/size][/size]

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:16 AM Post #1,167 of 2,252
Quote:
[size=10pt]Yes addictedtoaudio are the local distributors. Exorbitant markups by local distributors drive me nuts. Even with sales tax, shipping costs and GST considered I don’t see how some companies can justify the markup. Last year I bought a bunch of Sonos speakers directly from the states to avoid a completely ludicrous 150% markup![/size]
[size=10pt][/size]

[size=10pt]Lets see [size=x-small]addictedtoaudio are selling Magni's for - $196 USD. Hmmm...[/size][/size]

Magni&Modi stack for $323 AUD last time I checked.

Feb 5, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #1,168 of 2,252
Quote:

Go to radioshack and ask them for a Ferrite Core or Ferrite Bead. They cost $3 for a package of 3. You can put one on the power cable.
You can also make sure to use an interconnect cable that's very well shielded. Mogami or the very thick Monoprice cables are good. The thinner ones have poor shielding.
Even some headphones have poor shielding on the wires.

Most all surge protectors have noise filtering too, but I hate using them.

BTW I suggest going to target and getting an RCA to 3.55mm cable called the "Ge Ultra Pro". It clear and you can see it has very good metal shielding. Costs $9..or Monoprice will work.

I don't know if any of these things will work, but it's worth a try.

Also.. if you use a DAC, try to use USB cables with a ferrite bead on them. I got mine from Monoprice.

Would the Ferrite Core work with mobile phone noises. I've never had the noise issue before with any other amps, but with the Magni/Modi I can hear my mobile phone buzzing through it. ie. When a message is coming through I get heaps of noise, and also I assume when it's swapping towers or what ever they do, I get noises. 

Also I'm running a medium grade usb cable, and the Schiit short RCA leads.

QldKev

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:24 AM Post #1,169 of 2,252
I have a Magni amplifier and looking to connect my modded iPod to this via an LOD to RCA cable and with my HD650 connected to the Magni.

Does anybody know whether the volume is likely to be an issue....would I be able to turn the Magni up to say 9.00 0'clock (my usual listening position) and for it to be a reasonable listening level?

Just wondering whether I may need to us attenuators to level the power and loudness?

Jason

Feb 5, 2013 at 5:27 AM Post #1,170 of 2,252
Quote:

Magni&Modi stack for $323 AUD last time I checked.

+$50 for the power source
http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/Schiit-Audio-Magni-AC-Adapter-AUS-specification
Does the US version ship with one, or is it extra from Schiit too?

If it sounds good to you, and suits your cans- i still think its cheap and a good deal. I havent heard it, but going by looks and build quality alone, its very nice. Its only when you compare it to the US price that you would complain, without that comparison to be made youd never shake a stick at a $300-$400 desktop stack made in the US. 

Im guessing import taxes (quite a sum added to any international purchase over $999), freight, GST, etc must factor quite a bit of the rest.

Im also guessing that at the US direct retail of $99 each/$198 combined, there isnt much room for profit at all!!! Considering the casings alone, chips, etc,and the  fact its built in the USA?... cant imagine the wholesale price is more than $5-$20 cheaper, dont think these can be built for $50 each even if they were made in China. 

Anyways, all speculation. Still wanting to hear one though, Im dubious an (intended) $99 amp or $99 DAC in casings this good can sound nice, no offense to anyone intended, its a natural reaction i think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back