Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Feb 5, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #1,171 of 2,252
Quote:
+$50 for the power source
http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/Schiit-Audio-Magni-AC-Adapter-AUS-specification

If it sounds good to you, and suits your cans- i still think its cheap and a good deal. I havent heard it, but going by looks and build quality alone, its very nice.

The AC will be included with the stack at that price, but at $50 AUD a pop that has to be really good shiit

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:08 AM Post #1,172 of 2,252
Quote:
I have a Magni amplifier and looking to connect my modded iPod to this via an LOD to RCA cable and with my HD650 connected to the Magni.

Does anybody know whether the volume is likely to be an issue....would I be able to turn the Magni up to say 9.00 0'clock (my usual listening position) and for it to be a reasonable listening level?

Just wondering whether I may need to us attenuators to level the power and loudness?

Jason

That would probably be fine.

Obviously can't make any guarantees since your reasonable volume might be much higher or lower than mine, but yes I would expect you to have a usable volume range with that setup.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,173 of 2,252
Quote:
...  Im also guessing that at the US direct retail of $99 each/$198 combined, there isnt much room for profit at all!!! Considering the casings alone, chips, etc,and the  fact its built in the USA?... cant imagine the wholesale price is more than $5-$20 cheaper, dont think these can be built for $50 each even if they were made in China. ...

Here's Schiit's explanation from their website:  http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-magni/

" Holy crap, a $99 made in USA fully discrete amp! How the hell did you pull that one off?
We made a deal with Satan. No, not really. There’s no black magic or soul-selling involved. Smart design and large quantity manufacturing are really what we’re talking about. Magni uses a fully custom chassis, yes, but it’s made entirely of steel, which reduces price. Surface-mount design means the assembly is almost entirely robotic. And we make, well, a ton of them at a time."

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #1,175 of 2,252
I noticed that I couldn't plug a USB cable all the way into my Modi.
Schiit said "That's how it works"

As much as I love Schiit products,  I don't think this is acceptable.
 I've never owned any product that didn't accept a standard cable.

Feb 5, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #1,176 of 2,252
quite the nitpick of a problem, mine doesn't do this either but I doubt quality changes

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #1,177 of 2,252
Quote:

I've never owned a single USB Type B product which DIDN'T have the cable stick out some. I thought that's how they were always designed, to stick out a little. All other connections have always sat flush (Type A, mini-a, micro-a, micro-b, mini-b).

Edit: Just went some old devices I had laying around, and yup, they all stick out like that no matter what device (multiple printers, some docking stations).

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,178 of 2,252
Quote:

At least with the Modi it is in the back where you can't see it, unlike the Dragonfly ...

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #1,179 of 2,252
Quote:

This is the case for every single USB B plug that I have ever used. The plug has never gone in without some metal sticking out. How can you suggest it's the Modi and not, say, a particularly long male end on your plug?

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #1,180 of 2,252
Quote:
This is the case for every single USB B plug that I have ever used. The plug has never gone in without some metal sticking out. How can you suggest it's the Modi and not, say, a particularly long male end on your plug?

Doesn't happen with my scanner
Dosen't happen with my Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus.
I'll think of more.

**CORRECTION**

My DacMagic plus looks the same way.
The plug was hidden by other outlets...

Feb 5, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,181 of 2,252
Quote:
Doesn't happen with my scanner
Dosen't happen with my Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus.
I'll think of more.

**CORRECTION**

My DacMagic plus looks the same way.
The plug was hidden by other outlets...

The point is that this is a characteristic of these plugs by nature, and I sincerely doubt the Modi's actual female port have any difference whatsoever from most other ports. Are you using the same cord to test on those other things?

There shouldn't be anything even remotely "unacceptable" about this.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #1,182 of 2,252
Quote:
The point is that this is a characteristic of these plugs by nature, and I sincerely doubt the Modi's actual female port have any difference whatsoever from most other ports. Are you using the same cord to test on those other things?

There shouldn't be anything even remotely "unacceptable" about this.

Standard USB cable.  Connections are all the way in.
I find it unacceptable for an electronic device to have exposed contacts.
Let alone audio equipment that might be affected by EMI.

There are plenty of standard USB sockets from electronics mfg. that could be used where this wouldn't happen.
A cable should go completely into the socket. Period.  Like your AC plug.
Might have to root around for a USB cable that goes all the way in, but that's hard because I don't have the specifications for the USB socket on the Modi.

It's sloppy.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #1,183 of 2,252
Quote:
Standard USB cable.  Connections are all the way in.
I find it unacceptable for an electronic device to have exposed contacts.
Let alone audio equipment that might be affected by EMI.

There are plenty of standard USB sockets from electronics mfg. that could be used where this wouldn't happen.
A cable should go completely into the socket. Period.  Like your AC plug.
Might have to root around for a USB cable that goes all the way in, but that's hard because I don't have the specifications for the USB socket on the Modi.

It's sloppy.

Right so let's just go check this universal standard that all USB cord manufacturers agreed on ... oh wait .. wait .. there is none. The usable portion of your USB cord is working and functional. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back