Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Feb 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,186 of 2,252
Feb 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #1,187 of 2,252
Quote:
It is up to the manufacture of quality audio equipment and engineer for the worse case scenario.
There are USB Type B receptacles that will accommodate any of the cord lengths.

The shouldn't be any part of the cable hanging out when there are manufacturing parts available.
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dksearch/dksus.dll?FV=fff40016%2Cfff802e4&k=usb+type+b&vendor=0&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ptm=0&fid=0&quantity=0&PV28=873&PV29=10

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/154/61729-82870.pdf

lol this is seriously the dumbest argument I've ever seen. send it back

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #1,188 of 2,252
Quote:
Right so let's just go check this universal standard that all USB cord manufacturers agreed on ... oh wait .. wait .. there is none. The usable portion of your USB cord is working and functional. 

Quote:
Right, and if you were to go buy 10 USB cords, you think half of them would follow the "standard"?

Wait a minute.  You said  "oh wait... wait... there is none."

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #1,189 of 2,252
Quote:
Standard USB cable.  Connections are all the way in.
I find it unacceptable for an electronic device to have exposed contacts.
Let alone audio equipment that might be affected by EMI.

There are plenty of standard USB sockets from electronics mfg. that could be used where this wouldn't happen.
A cable should go completely into the socket. Period.  Like your AC plug.
Might have to root around for a USB cable that goes all the way in, but that's hard because I don't have the specifications for the USB socket on the Modi.

It's sloppy.

thats the thing though, it doesnt expose the contact, check yourself if any of the pins are not properly in contact

as for EMI, it clearly states in the manual that is in compliance to FCC part15b which is a regulation to test for EMC for electronic devices

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #1,191 of 2,252
Ya'll are correct.
I have no idea what I'm talking about and the manufacturing of the Mangni is impeccable.

Feb 6, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #1,192 of 2,252
Quote:
Ya'll are correct.
I have no idea what I'm talking about and the manufacturing of the Mangni is impeccable.

Now that that is resolved ... :wink:
Looking at the picture of the Modi board:  http://schiit.com/cart/images/modi_05.jpg
There certainly is room for a larger USB input jack.  Maybe that is the standard size to accommodate a larger variety of different cable makes or maybe that was just a more cost-effective part, or ... ?

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,193 of 2,252
Now that that is resolved ... :wink:
Looking at the picture of the Modi board:  http://schiit.com/cart/images/modi_05.jpg
There certainly is room for a larger USB input jack.  Maybe that is the standard size to accommodate a larger variety of different cable makes or maybe that was just a more cost-effective part, or ... ?

I have no idea what I am talking about.

Feb 6, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #1,194 of 2,252
I'm sensing large amounts of waaaaaaaaaaaaaah somewhere above :]

But really, move on. I do not own a single device that uses that port that is plugged all the way in and I'd go as far as to say I never have.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #1,195 of 2,252
Quote:

But really, move on. I do not own a single device that uses that port that is plugged all the way in and I'd go as far as to say I never have.

I'm not moving anywhere.  But if I was, it certainly wouldn't be Dayton. 
dt880smile.png

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,196 of 2,252
I just want to see pics of the Magni + Modi stack that everyone has been setting up and using... the headphones they listen on, etc... I like the concept.... I'm very interested to get this for my desk.. and use this instead of my Astro MixAmp and headphones when I listen to videos/music, etc at night when wifey is sleeping.

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,197 of 2,252
Quote:
I just want to see pics of the Magni + Modi stack that everyone has been setting up and using... the headphones they listen on, etc... I like the concept.... I'm very interested to get this for my desk.. and use this instead of my Astro MixAmp and headphones when I listen to videos/music, etc at night when wifey is sleeping.

Feb 6, 2013 at 2:00 PM Post #1,198 of 2,252
Quote:

No really, I don't know what I am talking about.

Per the USB type B spec the receptacle depth is 8.8mm.
Every type B cord I measured is 12mm.  Don't know why.

I looked at this photo of my scanner with a flush cable.
Upon inspection the receptacle is recessed.  Inside there is a 3mm gap.

You are correct.  But on the like to put-someone-down side correct.
This discussion is over.  Again, you are correct.  100%
The Type be cables do not go all the way in the receptacle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back