Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Oct 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #2,163 of 2,252
I guess the Monoprice cables are cheap enough that it's worth a shot. If they don't fit, I'll break out the soldering iron.
beerchug.gif

Oct 7, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #2,164 of 2,252
Actually, they seem to have switched to a thinner, more flexible cable a while back, so it should no longer lift the Magni up.

Everything else is spot on; Monoprice is cheaper and sounds the same, but the PYST is shorter and takes up less room.
Thanks for the update. Mine were from over a year ago. Glad they switched to a thinner cable.

ab0tj They are a snug fit but not overly so. Since you pretty much attach them and forgot about it, the right fit is welcome IMO.
Their RCA splitters have a really loose fit. If you happen to need some, I recommend passing them by despite the ultra cheap price tag.

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #2,165 of 2,252
Mine were too snug, and when I went to adjust them slightly, I broke one of the pieces of the outer part off. Cheap price, yes. Kinda cheap quality, also yes.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #2,166 of 2,252
So there's no better options for RCA cables at this point? Sold my Magni/Modi stack out of necessity a few months ago, about to buy again and was hoping the lift issue was solved since I did have to move mine occasionally, it was annoying trying to make sure those things were situated correctly. I suppose I can go with the PYST but does anyone else have confirmation they've switched to thinner cables? It's tough to swallow $20 for those cables, is all.

Oct 9, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #2,168 of 2,252
The PYST cables are really flexible and don't provide any resistance at all. I tried monoprice cables and couldn't get the stack to stop lifting. When I had to use a splitter, it would make the damn splitter fall out. The PYST cables are worth the extra money for the quality that you get.

Oct 9, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,170 of 2,252
I got my Modi/Magni combo with the PYST cables.  I imagine I could break out the soldering iron and make them for a little cheaper, but once you get thru buying good RCA ends and a bit of cable, I think you would be only saving a few dollars.

As for sound.  I've never used any other cables, but I can say my Modi/Magni combo (with the PYST cables) is great with my AKG K701's in my office.  I am completely satisfied.

Regarding the cables lifting the Magni.  I put double faced foam tape between them instead of the little rubber feet.  Works great.  I saved the left over feet and could easily peal them apart and put the feet on, but can't imagine why I would do that for now.  Maybe later if I ever finish my tube headphone amp.

I will warn everyone about using a cheap or too long USB cable.  Do not do it!  Confused the heck out of the Modi and sound was not just bad, it was unlistenable.  Use a short high quality cable.  But don't over spend - this is a digital interconnect.  Ones and zeros.  If all the data makes it to the Modi, you can't improve it more.  Don't be fooled by people who will tell you  the electrons will be happier going thru silver coated with teflon and other snake oil.  Analog can benetif (in ways you still may not hear), but not digital.

Oct 9, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #2,171 of 2,252
Yeah I used a velcro tie with mine before, but I moved it around quite a bit and am paranoid about dust and it got to be a hassle adjusting that thing. Whatever the case, I emailed Schiit and they confirmed that they have updated the PYST and that there is no lift. So wooh!

EDIT: Thanks guys! Excited to buy another Magni/Modi for my HE-400. I haven't been able to use them in two months. It's been rough. Have flirted with the Vali but I was content enough with the Magni and I like the extra power.

Oct 11, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #2,172 of 2,252
I get quite a bit of noise when I plug my Magni into my computer whether through the soundcard, built in sound or my USB Modi, this problem is irritating.  I only really notice the noise on my New Q701s and my SE215s.  I can plug a pair of 16 ohm Beyer COPs in with no problem.  What is this?

Oct 11, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #2,173 of 2,252
I get quite a bit of noise when I plug my Magni into my computer whether through the soundcard, built in sound or my USB Modi, this problem is irritating.  I only really notice the noise on my New Q701s and my SE215s.  I can plug a pair of 16 ohm Beyer COPs in with no problem.  What is this?

Ground loop maybe? Try plugging the Magni into a different outlet. Also, maybe try it with a different source, possibly something battery powered as a simple test.

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #2,174 of 2,252
Edit: Sent my Magni to Schiit for an RMA

They sent me it back with a note saying RF filter added and all my problems seem to be solved no more problems with my Q701s being plugged in. Thank you Schiit, wish I didn't have to pay for the shipping to them but I got it back within a week of sending it out and all is well. I like that they tell me what they did to it, other companies just try to fix it and tell you nothing and sometimes they don't even seem to test it to make sure issue is resolved, Presonus tried fixing my AudioBox USB twice and made it worse each time.

Schiit did a good job and made me a happy customer. I was worried I'd have to buy something like a FiiO amp or save up and buy that fancy looking Audio-GD 11.32. But now I'm perfectly content with my Magni Modi stack.

Plus I love how they actually answer your emails within an hour or so instead of days like other companies.

Oct 25, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #2,175 of 2,252
Hi all...I just purchased a pair of Beyerdynamic DT1350's for portable use with my iPod Classic but decided to give them a whirl on my Modi/Magni stack.  Man these phones sound terrific, so much so that they are permanently mated to this combo (except when I'm on the go with my iPod).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back