Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Aug 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #2,146 of 2,252
  Thank you for taking the time to post that.  As someone not too familiar with this stuff, can I ask how you can tell that they will be ok?  It would appear that 70ohms would be a little less than 1.0W, so what does that tell you?

Thanks!

Depending on your source, it means that if you turn it up all the way you'll probably fry your headphones and go deaf.

Seriously, that's a lot of power for most cans outside of the HE6.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #2,147 of 2,252
Well I just tried the Magni for the first time.  I don't know why I had any doubts about it powering my 70ohms.  With everything at full volume on the computer, I can't even turn the volume on the Magni past 9 o'clock without it being too loud.  Extremely powerful amp.  Like it so far!  

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,148 of 2,252
Glad to hear it! be careful with those ears
beyersmile.png
 happy listening!

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #2,149 of 2,252
  Thank you for taking the time to post that.  As someone not too familiar with this stuff, can I ask how you can tell that they will be ok?  It would appear that 70ohms would be a little less than 1.0W, so what does that tell you?

Thanks!

I use my Magni to drive cans from 32 ohms to 250 ohms, and they all work fine. I can get ear-bleeding volume levels from the Magni, even with the 250 ohm cans. So 70 ohms would be just fine.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #2,150 of 2,252
I got a Magni to tide me over while troubleshooting a Burson Soloist.  Now that the Soloist is up and running, I think I would have a very difficult time distinguishing between them in a blind or double-blind scenario.

Except the Magni is capable of more output level to the He-560's and Alpha Dogs.

Very, very impressed, to say the least.

Aug 17, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #2,151 of 2,252
Am using the Magni more nowadays to drive my HE-500 despite having the Mjolnir. I somehow found the MJ to be smoother sounding and didn't sound aggressive enough for some of my metal recordings..

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #2,152 of 2,252
Got my Magni/Modi yesterday in the mail.  Mostly based on comments here (I trust this site - seems to have the most folks who know headphones).  And I've been to a head-fi meet and was VERY impressed with the folks there.

Anyway, I probably will give a better review once I've spent more time with them and done more A/B comparisons.  But for now, here goes...

I got the M/M with the PYST RCA cables.  Prior to the M/M my go to phones are some ADL H118's with the ADL GT40 USB DAC + amp.  I didn't buy the M/M's to replace the ADL's, but rather to mate with some AKG K701's for work.  However, I have been trying them side-by-side at home, including using the H118's with the M/M.

Overall, I'm not finding a big "winner" between the ADL GT40 vs. M/M.  I may notice a difference later, but for now both are very good and that's a compliment to Schiit as the ADL GT40 costs a few times the M/M.

LIke I said more details later once I've spent more time with them...

For now a couple observations;
- DO NOT USE a cheap/long USB cable with the M/M.  I already had a 10 foot fairly cheap USB cable to the ADL setup, so at first I just swapped the M/M. Don't do that!  they sounded awful, and confused both Windows and  Linux drivers.  I swapped for a better/shorter cable with a ceramic button inductor and everything got MUCH better.  The ADL's don't care about the USB Cable and sound the same with either cable.
- I haven't read every post, but has anyone figured out what are the orange lights inside the Magni?
- I also tried just the Modi with my tube amp (a DIY EL84 SE amp with some nice iron from Transcendar) and Dynaco A25's.  I also call this setup my "headphones" as the whole thing right is behind me on a shelf in my office and pointed at my head, so I'm listening "near field", which is pretty much like headphones at times.  Also sounds quite good.

Long term I'm going to swap out the Magni for a DIY OTL tube headphone amp, but I need to finish building it, so the Magni will get a lot of use before then - projects go pretty slow around here.

Until later...

Aug 22, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #2,153 of 2,252
  For now a couple observations;
- I haven't read every post, but has anyone figured out what are the orange lights inside the Magni?

They're a functional part of the circuit; I'm sure Jason could answer definitively, but I think they're for biasing the output or something (I'm not an EE, and it's been a while since I saw the answer, so I'm likely wrong on their specific function).

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #2,154 of 2,252
quick question why do some of you say make sure the volume of the pc is at 100%? I have it at 20 and 9 o'clock is plenty loud for everything but games. Wouldn't 100 blow my ear drums or am I missing something?

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,155 of 2,252
Aug 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,157 of 2,252
My Magni gets fairly warm but I wouldn't say hot. If you're worried about the heat (from a potential fire standpoint...?), then set it on a piece of granite. I'm a big time believer in vibration isolation and have most of my electronics sitting on double stacked granite floor tiles. I believe it sounds better and I get the added benefit of allowing heat dissipation. My Modi & Magni sit on a small granite sample that I picked up at a local granite countertop store...looks & works great.

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #2,159 of 2,252
What's the consensus on the PYST RCA cables? Worth the $20 paired with a Modi+Magni combo?

They get the job done. A bit stiff for small turns like a M/M stack. It will actually lift whatever is on top up at the back. Fixable with a rubber band or hair tie.

Will you notice a sonic difference between them and a cheaper set from Monoprice? Nope.

If you have a soldering iron and 30 minutes you can make a pair to your specs for cheaper.

That said, they do the job and dint take up much space.

Oct 7, 2014 at 8:40 AM Post #2,160 of 2,252
  What's the consensus on the PYST RCA cables? Worth the $20 paired with a Modi+Magni combo?

They get the job done. A bit stiff for small turns like a M/M stack. It will actually lift whatever is on top up at the back. Fixable with a rubber band or hair tie.

Will you notice a sonic difference between them and a cheaper set from Monoprice? Nope.

If you have a soldering iron and 30 minutes you can make a pair to your specs for cheaper.

That said, they do the job and dint take up much space.

Actually, they seem to have switched to a thinner, more flexible cable a while back, so it should no longer lift the Magni up.

Everything else is spot on; Monoprice is cheaper and sounds the same, but the PYST is shorter and takes up less room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back