Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jul 3, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #2,116 of 2,252
  Magni would certainly have more than enough power. When I had my Magni I didn't have any opportunities to listen to a DT770, so I can't comment on that specific pairing, but it had no problem powering any of my current cans or the LCD-2s I had at the time.

Magni + Modi paired with DT770 - 250 ohm sounds just fine. Very clean and accurate sound. Plenty of power to drive them to ear bleeding levels.

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #2,117 of 2,252
  Magni puts out a lot of heat, and doesn't take too long to heat up. It always has me worried, I tend to have very long sessions on the computer where the magni can be on for 4-6 hours at once, and it usually pretty hot in my room to begin with. How worried should I be about the heat the magni puts out?

I've driven my Magni with 2 different DAC's: the Modi and the Pure i-20. The Modi does not drive the Magni too hard, it doesn't warm up much at all. That's simply a factor of the voltage provided - the Modi puts out 1.5 volts, while the Pure i-20 puts out 2 volts.

I'm currently using my Magni at work with the Pure i-20. The Magni does warm up quite a bit, but I would not call it hot, per se. The difference is noticeable, but not alarming.

I have never used any sort of cooling on my Magni, and I've owned it for over a year now. The amp is built like a tank. Really don't expect any issues with it either.

Jul 7, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #2,118 of 2,252
Anyone here use the magni with he-400's?

Im using Titanium HD soundcard to magni to HE-400's.

What time is your volume pot at? I usually had it at 12 and turned the volume down in windows to 50% but I heard this is bad.

Right now I switched it to 10 but its still pretty loud so I turned windows down 12db.

I listen to both 16bit and 24bit music too if that matters

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #2,119 of 2,252

What time is your volume pot at? I usually had it at 12 and turned the volume down in windows to 50% but I heard this is bad.

Right now I switched it to 10 but its still pretty loud so I turned windows down 12db.

If your sound card spits out 24 bits, it really doesn't matter if you use software volume control.

Just set your windows volume to whatever is most convenient and don't worry about it.

I use software volume with my Modi+magni+paradox headphones to get a nice adjustable range out of Magni's volume pot.

cheers

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #2,120 of 2,252

If your sound card spits out 24 bits, it really doesn't matter if you use software volume control.

Just set your windows volume to whatever is most convenient and don't worry about it.

I use software volume with my Modi+magni+paradox headphones to get a nice adjustable range out of Magni's volume pot.

cheers

Well i set my soundcard to ASIO, which apparantly according to Jriver is 32Bits with my titanium HD

Jul 7, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2,121 of 2,252
  Well i set my soundcard to ASIO, which apparantly according to Jriver is 32Bits with my titanium HD

Your soundcard is not 32 bit, it is 24 bit. Nevertheless, 24 bits of digital precision exceeds the analog circuitry capabilities, so it is really irrelevant anyway :) You have plenty of "bits" and plenty of dynamic range headroom to use your software volume control without needing to worry about loss of perceivable fidelity. You can cut about 22 dB with software volume before you will start competing with Magni's 100 dB of SNR. I expect you wouldn't notice unless your SNR dropped below 60 or 70 dB. That means you can probably cut 40+dB with software before you'll notice. You're welcome to test this yourself.

Cheers

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #2,122 of 2,252
Hmm. I wonder why in jriver it says the output is always 32bit asio.

also what db spl should you listen to headphones at? I recall a previous post I made a year ago where you said with my magni at 9-11 o clock that had 25gain too much and would get hearing damage.

I remember there was a way to calculate it.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #2,123 of 2,252
Just got my Magni and Modi in and I'm pleasantly surprised by how easily it can power the LCD-X.  My listening threshold is right about at the point where you start to hear the noise floor, so it'll work out well for my application.  I'll end up using it for light gaming, videos, and occasionally music in the living room where I don't have my M/G.

Honestly I think I would have been content with the short stack with my HD650's (had Bifrost/Lyr V1).  Really impressive for 2 Benjamins!  They don't hold a candle to the M/G stack, but that goes without saying.

I think I'll even pull out the old HD25-1 II's and see what they sound like on the short stack.  Haven't listened to them since I got the X's... 
redface.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM Post #2,124 of 2,252
  Just got my Magni and Modi in and I'm pleasantly surprised by how easily it can power the LCD-X.  My listening threshold is right about at the point where you start to hear the noise floor, so it'll work out well for my application.  I'll end up using it for light gaming, videos, and occasionally music in the living room where I don't have my M/G.

Honestly I think I would have been content with the short stack with my HD650's (had Bifrost/Lyr V1).  Really impressive for 2 Benjamins!  They don't hold a candle to the M/G stack, but that goes without saying.

I think I'll even pull out the old HD25-1 II's and see what they sound like on the short stack.  Haven't listened to them since I got the X's... 
redface.gif

Do you have the Modi set to 16 bit or 24 bit mode? I found that I could hear a slight bit of noise when it was set to 16 bit, but that dropped away dramatically when set to 24 bit (couldn't hear any noise even with purposefully stupid digital attenuation levels).

Jul 11, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #2,125 of 2,252
Well, I'm excited to receive my Modi/Magni tomorrow!  I tried the Aune T1 MK2 which sounded great, but the entire unit got warm in temperature which is not what I need in my home office in Las Vegas (which already gets warm due to the other electronic equipment in here.)  I really don't feel like switching it on/off all the time either. So sadly, tube amps aren't for me.  I'm assuming that the Modi/Magni doesn't get warm due to the lower power input ratings.

Jul 12, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #2,126 of 2,252
  Well, I'm excited to receive my Modi/Magni tomorrow!  I tried the Aune T1 MK2 which sounded great, but the entire unit got warm in temperature which is not what I need in my home office in Las Vegas (which already gets warm due to the other electronic equipment in here.)  I really don't feel like switching it on/off all the time either. So sadly, tube amps aren't for me.  I'm assuming that the Modi/Magni doesn't get warm due to the lower power input ratings.

Magni doesn't run hot like the bigger Schiit Amps, but it will warm up a little bit. It consumes 4W in a very small package, so there necessarily is some heat that must be dissipated, hence, a warm case. Modi's heat generation is negligible---always cool to the touch.

I stack Magni on top of Modi, which leaves the cooling vent on top of Magni open. 

I have no idea what the power consumption of the  Aune T1 MK2 is, so I cannot comment on how much heat it generates in comparison to Magni.

Cheers

Jul 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #2,128 of 2,252
  Anyone here use the magni with he-400's?

Im using Titanium HD soundcard to magni to HE-400's.

I just got my Magni yesterday. Used it for about five hours last night once I got home and at least ten hours thus far today with my HiFiman He-400. The Magni feeds the He-400 all the power it could want completely opening up the sound with incredible fiendish detail. I was playing DIABLO 3 this morning and some of the demonic laughter really freaked me out as if demons had entered my room with the Magni. Previously on my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver I had nowhere this level of detail and completeness of sound even at high volumes.

Magni brings out a very balanced strong sound with crystalline treble clarity with a nice soundstage and thumping stomping bass which never overwhelms. I finally found the perfect match for my HiFiman He-400.

Am playing with onboard audio with Windows 7 volume at max and the Magni volume pot at the 9 or 10 position most of the time. Only when playing Skyrim did I need to go to 11 or 12 due to the odd way the audio was done in that game. I have Windows 7 set to play at 24bit.

Am so satisfied with my Magni purchase I put away all my speakers and have gone to a total headphone setup. Am pretty sure the neighbors will be just as happy :D

Oh and delivery time was exceptional arriving four days before the expected due date.

Jul 21, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #2,129 of 2,252

I just got my Magni yesterday. Used it for about five hours last night once I got home and at least ten hours thus far today with my HiFiman He-400. The Magni feeds the He-400 all the power it could want completely opening up the sound with incredible fiendish detail. I was playing DIABLO 3 this morning and some of the demonic laughter really freaked me out as if demons had entered my room with the Magni. Previously on my Onkyo TX-8555 stereo receiver I had nowhere this level of detail and completeness of sound even at high volumes.

Magni brings out a very balanced strong sound with crystalline treble clarity with a nice soundstage and thumping stomping bass which never overwhelms. I finally found the perfect match for my HiFiman He-400.

Am playing with onboard audio with Windows 7 volume at max and the Magni volume pot at the 9 or 10 position most of the time. Only when playing Skyrim did I need to go to 11 or 12 due to the odd way the audio was done in that game. I have Windows 7 set to play at 24bit.

Am so satisfied with my Magni purchase I put away all my speakers and have gone to a total headphone setup. Am pretty sure the neighbors will be just as happy :D

Oh and delivery time was exceptional arriving four days before the expected due date.

Put a Modi in between your Magni and that computer, and get ready for yet another level of detail. Seriously.

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #2,130 of 2,252

Put a Modi in between your Magni and that computer, and get ready for yet another level of detail. Seriously.

My brother inlaw was mentioning the same thing about an external dac making a major difference compared to the horrible onboard sound he had on his work computer. Will most likely get the Modi in the future to hear the difference. At the moment am very satisfied. Thanks for the advice :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back