Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Jul 26, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #2,131 of 2,252
A week so far of decadent audio indulgence with the Schiit Magni playing my HiFiMan HE-400 headphones and no regrets about putting away my speaker system for a headphone setup. Listening to some Mozart Allegro at the moment and its soothing in its grand musical properties. I cant believe how great the Schiit Magni sounds with my pc's onboard sound compared to my stereo receiver which now sounds subdued and nowhere as revealing.

Tried out my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones and they were even more spectacular then before as I listened to some Front 242 remixes and then played a early access game of GRIM DAWN with everything sounding so right. Will be fun seeing what the Audio Technica Ath AD700 and Ultrasone HFI-780 are like.

Thanks Schiit for making my audio experience a mesmerizing one at a euphoric low price :D

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2,132 of 2,252
Currently listening to the HE-500/Magni pairing sourced via Mac Air with a Bifrost Uber on USB - sounds pretty darn impressive for the price! A/B-ing with the Mjolnir, the Magni sounded more forward with more prominent mids. Bass was present though not as taut nor controlled as the Mjolnir (which is to be expected).

Truly, the Magni could be all the amp you ever need..

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #2,133 of 2,252
Hi guys, Im using a900x + ad900 on my x-fi titanium hd and this is the first external amp I could get but there are few different setup I think need advice.

1) x-fi(rca) > magni
2) x-fi(optical) > modi(optical)&magni
3) onboard optical > modi&magni
4) usb to modi&magni
5) x-fi(optical) > toslink rca > magni

I also have some interference issue from my x-fi as due the crossfire setup in my cpu(hearing noises as I move my mouse, graphic loading etc etc), would the interference persists if I use the optical from the x-fi? Thanks in advance :xf_eek:

Edit. Option #5

Aug 5, 2014 at 3:05 AM Post #2,134 of 2,252
Hi guys, Im using a900x + ad900 on my x-fi titanium hd and this is the first external amp I could get but there are few different setup I think need advice.

1) x-fi(rca) > magni
2) x-fi(optical) > modi(optical)&magni
3) onboard optical > modi&magni
4) usb to modi&magni

I also have some interference issue from my x-fi as due the crossfire setup in my cpu(hearing noises as I move my mouse, graphic loading etc etc), would the interference persists if I use the optical from the x-fi? Thanks in advance
redface.gif

I got a USB modi + magni because of very similar computer noises as you describe. Now the background is as black as night.

Using onboard optical or x-fi optical should be equally effective.

Cheers

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #2,135 of 2,252
I got a USB modi + magni because of very similar computer noises as you describe. Now the background is as black as night.

Using onboard optical or x-fi optical should be equally effective.

Cheers

Thats great! Thanks again, got another question though, will it be cheaper if I get the toslink for the x-fi? Will they eliminate the noise? I do want to use x-fi 3dcmss sometimes too. Going modi(usb)&magni is abit redundant, woukd you think so?

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #2,136 of 2,252
Thats great! Thanks again, got another question though, will it be cheaper if I get the toslink for the x-fi? Will they eliminate the noise? I do want to use x-fi 3dcmss sometimes too. Going modi(usb)&magni is abit redundant, woukd you think so?

If you want to use the X-fi's 3dcmss you'd need to do Modi (optical) or no Modi, but if you just do X-fi to Magni you'll likely still have the noise.

So it sounds like Modi (optical) from your X-fi is the way to go.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #2,140 of 2,252
I am receiving this amp as a gift, but wanted to know how they fare with 70ohm Senns.
Can anyone confirm that they will drive higher impedance cans?
Or should I return it and get something that will? Any recommendations?
Magni is still en-route so I could reroute it back to Schiit before it arrives.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #2,141 of 2,252
Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW RMS per channel

Looks like your fine
beyersmile.png

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #2,142 of 2,252
  Maximum Power, 32 ohms: 1.2W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 1.0W RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 300 ohms: 260mW RMS per channel
Maximum Power, 600 ohms: 130mW RMS per channel

Looks like your fine
beyersmile.png

Thank you for taking the time to post that.  As someone not too familiar with this stuff, can I ask how you can tell that they will be ok?  It would appear that 70ohms would be a little less than 1.0W, so what does that tell you?

Thanks!

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #2,143 of 2,252
it will need to be turned up more to reach the same volume as a 50 ohm, though not by much i should think. Would you tell me the sensitivity of your senns?

Edit: I've looked it up for you, the magni can even drive 600 ohm headphones so no trouble there
beyersmile.png
 the sensitivity determines how quickly the volume will raise (EG a more sensitive headphone will sound louder compared to something less sensitive at the same volume level) my headphones are about 120 db per 1.0mw consider that very sensitive getting less sensitive as the number decreases.

Hope i was of some help happy listening
beerchug.gif
 enjoy! ( rule of thumb, make sure that the volume is at zero and go from there. also as a safety measure don't plug your headphones in until the magni is on and clicks to prevent any power surge)

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2,144 of 2,252
  it will need to be turned up more to reach the same volume as a 50 ohm, though not by much i should think. Would you tell me the sensitivity of your senns?

Edit: I've looked it up for you, the magni can even drive 600 ohm headphones so no trouble there
beyersmile.png
 the sensitivity determines how quickly the volume will raise (EG a more sensitive headphone will sound louder compared to something less sensitive at the same volume level) my headphones are about 120 db per 1.0mw consider that very sensitive getting less sensitive as the number decreases.

Hope i was of some help happy listening
beerchug.gif
 enjoy! ( rule of thumb, make sure that the volume is at zero and go from there. also as a safety measure don't plug your headphones in until the magni is on and clicks to prevent any power surge)

Thank you very much! Appreciate the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back