Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Oct 26, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #2,176 of 2,252
The 3.5mm out on my laptop died just before my three month internship abroad. Instead of going cheap I figured the Schiit stack would be a nice investment for an anticipated investment in a full-sized headphone. During this internship I will only have acces to my IEM's, the HiFiMAN RE-400. Will these work (well) with the Schiit stack?

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #2,178 of 2,252
  The 3.5mm out on my laptop died just before my three month internship abroad. Instead of going cheap I figured the Schiit stack would be a nice investment for an anticipated investment in a full-sized headphone. During this internship I will only have acces to my IEM's, the HiFiMAN RE-400. Will these work (well) with the Schiit stack?

Yeah, they'll work fine. You may want to turn the volume down on your computer though, as the Magni has quite a bit of power.

What I'd recommend is to run the Modi in 24 bit mode and then turn the volume down on your computer until you can actually turn the Magni up or down without blowing out your ears. From my experiments the M&M's noise floor (especially in 24 bit mode) is low enough that you still shouldn't get any noise.

Oct 27, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #2,179 of 2,252

Yeah, they'll work fine. You may want to turn the volume down on your computer though, as the Magni has quite a bit of power.

What I'd recommend is to run the Modi in 24 bit mode and then turn the volume down on your computer until you can actually turn the Magni up or down without blowing out your ears. From my experiments the M&M's noise floor (especially in 24 bit mode) is low enough that you still shouldn't get any noise.

Or your could always get those RCA volume attenuators I saw someone post somewhere in the thread when dealing with channel imbalance in their IEMs.

I wish someone would just create a gain switch mod for the Magni (No, I don't feel like buying the Asgard 2, it won't match my Modi and it's desk consuming.)

Edit: Actually I'd think about the Asgard 2 if there was a Modi Case mod to make it look like the Bifrost (obviously not close enough where it'd be mistaken for one but just some way to put it in a case the size of the Bifrost/Asgard 2

Nov 4, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2,180 of 2,252

-ATH AD700: needs -9 dB gain, therefore set software volume to -19 dB

I have a Magni + Modi optical combo with ATH AD700's hooked up to a soundblaster Z. 
How do I setup this software volume to -19db ?

This is way over my head and I was hoping that someone could dumb it down a little for me.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2,181 of 2,252

I have a Magni + Modi optical combo with ATH AD700's hooked up to a soundblaster Z. 
How do I setup this software volume to -19db ?

This is way over my head and I was hoping that someone could dumb it down a little for me.

I think after about 4 hours of google foo I found the answer to my own question.

Thanks!
final edit# 2 this is a much better page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/586490/approximating-headphone-volume-output-db

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #2,182 of 2,252
Anybody got any experience with how this sounds with a pair of ATH-AD900? Currently they're running out of a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 recording interface and I'm happy with the sound, but would like to be happier. Would like to pair it with a Modi, ideally.

Nov 29, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,184 of 2,252
  Anybody got any experience with how this sounds with a pair of ATH-AD900? Currently they're running out of a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 recording interface and I'm happy with the sound, but would like to be happier. Would like to pair it with a Modi, ideally.

I can confirm that the Magni/Modi sounded great with the AD900 when I tried it at my friend's place.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #2,185 of 2,252
Hopefully someone can answer this question.

I'm looking to retire my HiFiMAN EF2A.  I'm wondering if it indeed would be a worthy upgrade to my old-ish amp?  

I found the Magni sounded worse than the EF2A, I got rid of the Magni after getting the EF2A. The Magni does output more power than the EF2A but the Ef2A was more musical, clearer, dynamic, and enjoyable to my ears.

Dec 2, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #2,186 of 2,252
Between the Magni and Vali, which would better complement my cans?
• HD 600
• Fidelio X1
• ATH-M50
• MDR-V6

I'd greatly appreciate feedback from anyone who's tried any of these cans with the Magni and/or Vali.

I'm also curious if any E12 owners could give their thoughts on how the E12 compares to the Magni and/or Vali, with respect to sound quality. I'm guessing that for the E12, I'd be paying a premium for portability as opposed to audio fidelity, correct? Would I be right to assume the Magni offers better sound quality than the E12, even though the E12 is more expensive than the Magni?

Dec 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #2,187 of 2,252
I'm looking to buy a new dac/amp combo and really love the look of the Schiit Magni/Modi. I've read good reviews only thing is apparently the white LED is really bright! has anyone modded them to a LED with lower brightness?

Does the LED bother you? any links or info on this please.

Dec 5, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #2,188 of 2,252
I have the vali/modi/magni and I personally do not find the brightness of the LEDs an issue, and I have them sitting in front of me on my computer desk. You can try to cover them with a sticker perhaps ?

Jan 6, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #2,190 of 2,252
Guys I need help!
So I purchased the magni back in Taiwan, it came with of course the AB plug with 110V. Now I moved to Hong Kong, the voltage here is 220/230 with UK plug. I bought a AC/AC step down converter but when i plug them together, its nto working and theres a burning smell! 
What should I do in this case? ( Assuming the magni is still functional...) I e-mailed schitt about this problem but they just ask me to buy another adapter at their site which I don't want to because the shipping is just too much...
Please help and thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back