Schiit Magni Headphone Amplifier
Feb 10, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #2,206 of 2,252

If i was to use a titanium HD sound card, a schiit magni and a schiit sys would i get better volume out of the schiit magni? if so howso.

Need to know a few things don't know exactly how the titanium HD handles outputs and what exactly you want to accomplish, if you could just answer these questions.
1. If you are wanting to use surround CMSS 3D for your headphones, can you send it as a line out (not amplified for more powerful headphones) or PCM digital signal (not something like Dolby or DTS)?
2. the headphones you will be using and if you have the original Magni, or the new one with Pre-Outs.
3. Why you want to use the SYS and if you are connecting another device.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #2,207 of 2,252
  Need to know a few things don't know exactly how the titanium HD handles outputs and what exactly you want to accomplish, if you could just answer these questions.
1. If you are wanting to use surround CMSS 3D for your headphones, can you send it as a line out (not amplified for more powerful headphones) or PCM digital signal (not something like Dolby or DTS)?
2. the headphones you will be using and if you have the original Magni, or the new one with Pre-Outs.
3. Why you want to use the SYS and if you are connecting another device.

I can use the RCA outs on my titanium HD, i dont care about surround processing. I will be using HE-400's and K7XX. I have the original magni. I want to achieve more useable volume control on my schiit magni because as of right now i can only turn the volume up to about 10 o clock.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #2,208 of 2,252
4 Ways I see of doing this
1. If possible change your volume in the card slightly down, if it's set to 24bit and you are playing 16 bit audio windows volume will not lose quality unless it's taken down a whole lot, lower it til you get a bit more useable room (don't just drop it as low as possible though and crank up the magni, a Magni past 3 o'clock is just insane, your source may be low but noise will be amplified.
WARNING: Don't do this if you use 24 bit music as it'll cut the bits into bits.   Well it won't sound in theory, in practice, up to you I guess

2. A lot of IEM users used these little -16db attentuator (I'm spelling it wrong but google will save you) these just set the volume lower from the source by putting resistors in the way, I have not done this but it seems like a nice option.  They are little RCA Plugs that just plug onto an end of the cable and make the cable harder to drive basically, it'd be like splitting the signal and attaching headphones that would eat up your soundcards output voltage from the RCA ports. (not sure how much more volume control that equates too on the Magni)

3. Use the SYS as a volume control (and add possibilities for other sources to be added to your Magni too.) Works somewhat like the above way but I'm really not sure how great of a solution it really is.

4.  Ditch the original Magni (or keep it as an extra bedside or amp at work or something) and get something like the Magni 2, which has a gain switch, so you get the same sound as the original Magni, but now with a nice gain switch (sadly I asked around, and talked to Schiit and they said there is no way to change the original Magni's gain, the new one has a different circuit board.
NOTICE: It appears the Magni 2 has a different chassis color than the original Magni so let's say if you had an original Schiit Modi or just preferred it matching any other older Schiit gear this is what I'd do:
Keep original magni, buy Magni 2, put Magni 2's cover on Magni 1, and put Magni 1's cover on Magni 2.
LEGAL disclaimer I am not liable for any loss of warranty or death if you do something wrong in the case of what I would do on the 4th option, which is my favorite.

Also could look at the Objective2 Amp, not as pretty not made by Schiity, battery operated as well, and no longer One-Fitty.  It's currently 130 (without power cable)  I have to Magni cables so I might get the O2 or the Magni2 if I get a bit more spare cash to waste.

The O2 does look appealing, but a few turn offs, 3.5mm jacks unless you pay more to change it (JDS Labs let you change things for added cost) Power in the back (+$3), stock power is front, 1/4th inch headphone output (+$30) Rear RCA inputs ($I forgot) the stock is 3.5mm input in the front.  You can select 3 possible gain configurations depending on headphones and how loud your source is. and Free Engraving! (it makes it look less ugly)

Mar 12, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #2,210 of 2,252
  Hello everybody!
Is it normal that the wall wart of the Schiit Magni produces a small noise (mid frequency)?

No, that is not normal, it should be silent.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #2,212 of 2,252
Well that's a new one for me then, been using my sr325i on my new magni 2 , and very pleased with it, So tonite I thought about time for a change, stick the senn HD580  in, thinking might need the high gain, but no the low gain is fine..same as the 325i, thought id need the high ?
When switching to high gain could only turn it up a little.....went very loud, so LOW gain it is then......otherwise both sounding good.

Mar 29, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #2,213 of 2,252
Note for above.....my uk plug spec Magni 2  is silent.....no noise, hums, anything....ok

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #2,214 of 2,252
What do you think then ?, When using my senn HD580, ( same as the 600 ) with the magni 2 amp on low gain I can have the amp turned up to about 9....where 6 is the starting point, But when in high gain I can only really go up to about 7 - 8, ..very loud, so whats best then ?, To use low or high gain or does it not matter which one ?
Im ok with the  Grado SR  325i, I just use low gain and go up to 9 again......thanks in advance.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #2,215 of 2,252
  What do you think then ?, When using my senn HD580, ( same as the 600 ) with the magni 2 amp on low gain I can have the amp turned up to about 9....where 6 is the starting point, But when in high gain I can only really go up to about 7 - 8, ..very loud, so whats best then ?, To use low or high gain or does it not matter which one ?
Im ok with the  Grado SR  325i, I just use low gain and go up to 9 again......thanks in advance.

Hi or low gain should have little if any sonic difference. Use whatever makes you comfortable.

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #2,216 of 2,252

I've never used a Magni 2, but on other amps it's generally better to have the volume knob higher to avoid channel imbalance. That may not be an issue with the Magni 2, however.

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #2,217 of 2,252
If you look through the cooling holes on the top of the Magni chassis, you can see on the circuit board what looks like a little orange LED?
Just curious - Is that what it is and if so does anyone know why is it there, for some late-night ambiance? :wink:

I actually do suspect that is the case :wink:
Well, not entirely, but I'm sure they could have used an ordinary diode just as well. If you look towards the far end of the pcb from the vent holes you should se another one as there are two of them.

For now a couple observations;
- I haven't read every post, but has anyone figured out what are the orange lights inside the Magni?

They're a functional part of the circuit; I'm sure Jason could answer definitively, but I think they're for biasing the output or something (I'm not an EE, and it's been a while since I saw the answer, so I'm likely wrong on their specific function).

I've asked Schiit about this as part of a mail with some other questions, and they said that it's a current source (and using an orange LED is an attractive way to accomplish that).

I quite agree :D
I haven't yet seen it in the dark yet though, as the M&M's are on my desk at work.

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:23 PM Post #2,218 of 2,252
I haven't yet seen it in the dark yet though, as the M&M's are on my desk at work.

There are two of them inside of the Asgard 2 chassis as well. Every time I fire it up I always wonder what those lights are.

Apr 25, 2015 at 5:01 AM Post #2,219 of 2,252
There are two of them inside of the Asgard 2 chassis as well. Every time I fire it up I always wonder what those lights are.

I see that same glow from the inside of the Lyr2 as well looking at the pictures on the schiit.com web site. From where the glow comes from it can't be the tubes.

Together with what Shiit said about them being a current source and what Defiant00 said above about them providing bias makes me think they are for putting a bias current on the output transistors (JFETs?) so that they'll never shut off completely. If they did, you would get distortion.

Just my guess though, maybe someone from Schiit (Jason?) could clarify if they see this.

May 28, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #2,220 of 2,252
Hi and sorry
i scrolled the interesting thread but did not find an clear answer to the following question:

"  is the Magni 2 sound much different/better that the previous Magni ? "

I can buy a Magni 1st generation for cheap ... but if it is clearly inferior i will look for the newer version
I would like to use it with the k701 i own.
Thanks a lot,  gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back