Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 25, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #23,026 of 23,494
Please refrain from talking violence in this thread, it may detrimental to your physical well being! :ksc75smile:

@bcowen -- is the one that insinuated we would waylay someone that willfully tried to scam folks here. I thought we were being invited to a meet-and-greet with an eBay scammer and it was expected that we would dole out some beer-fueled vigilante justice!! I guess I was wrong. :frowning2:

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #23,027 of 23,494
Hey guys, I got the tubes today already in a sort of miraculous way. Will be trying them tonight hopefully.
Make sure the volume is off on the amp and it is in the low gain position when plugging in the tubes with the power off on your amp. Raise the volume slowly as your playing audio.

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #23,028 of 23,494
Make sure the volume is off on the amp and it is in the low gain position when plugging in the tubes with the power off on your amp. Raise the volume slowly as your playing audio.

Thanks, I remember you said to run them on low gain. I'll update the thread later tonight if the amp doesn't blow the building :D

Feb 25, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #23,029 of 23,494
@bcowen -- is the one that insinuated we would waylay someone that willfully tried to scam folks here. I thought we were being invited to a meet-and-greet with an eBay scammer and it was expected that we would dole out some beer-fueled vigilante justice!! I guess I was wrong. :frowning2:

The truth is at least from my observations that the Czechs get nicer and nicer the more they drink. And they start out plenty nice to begin with! Couldn't wish for a better country to be living in...

The ebay guy TK16 recommended is absolutely tops in all regards. #1 he corresponded with me on Sunday clarifying things and making sure I knew what I was ordering since the Lyr 2 doesn't list these tubes as one of the options for rolling. And then #2 he refunded me the excess of the shipping amount I paid initially which was for international, based on the usual and customary shipping costs here. Cpt. Luke gets the highest marks as far as I am concerned. I've had great luck on ebay but this guy stands out even more.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #23,030 of 23,494
Thanks, I remember you said to run them on low gain. I'll update the thread later tonight if the amp doesn't blow the building :D
The building is safe from being blown up, I have a pair in my DAC now and of course there is no gain switch on my dac. High gain with volume cranked up high may blow out you eardrums and more importantly take out a city block.

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #23,031 of 23,494
Ok, this is amazing.

I'm running my RME ADI-2 DAC into the Lyr 2 with the new tubes, LCD-2C. Deezer hifi 16/44.1. First I listened to Art Blakey's Caravan since I know it well. Amazing clarity and detail. Then I listened to a couple of numbers off Bill Evan's Sunday at the Village Vanguard since I listen to that album regularly. Same impression, clarity, separation. The frequency response of these tubes seems right on the money. Then on to Kind of Blue. I like the alt. take of Flamenco Sketches. The piercing trumpet, the liveness, it's all there. Then a quick listen to the 1st track of Sketches of Spain. Miles' breathing comes across clearly. Now back to side 2 of the Kind of Blue (there was no side 2, this is outtakes and bonus tracks). Tremendous sense of being there.

Comfortable listening position with low-gain is just north of 9 o'clock. I can go straight up with some difficulty. @TK16 can't thank you enough for the recommendations on the exact tubes and Cpt. Luke. It's so wonderful when everything goes right for a change!

I noticed some weirdness in the volume pot, not sure if it was there before or it is some interaction with the tubes. It seemed like a scratchy pot but as time goes on (less than 30 minutes so far) it seems to be disappearing.

The other thing I notice is that these tubes seem to run significantly cooler than the Sylvanias I had in there.

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #23,032 of 23,494
Ok, this is amazing.

I'm running my RME ADI-2 DAC into the Lyr 2 with the new tubes, LCD-2C. Deezer hifi 16/44.1. First I listened to Art Blakey's Caravan since I know it well. Amazing clarity and detail. Then I listened to a couple of numbers off Bill Evan's Sunday at the Village Vanguard since I listen to that album regularly. Same impression, clarity, separation. The frequency response of these tubes seems right on the money. Then on to Kind of Blue. I like the alt. take of Flamenco Sketches. The piercing trumpet, the liveness, it's all there. Then a quick listen to the 1st track of Sketches of Spain. Miles' breathing comes across clearly. Now back to side 2 of the Kind of Blue (there was no side 2, this is outtakes and bonus tracks). Tremendous sense of being there.

Comfortable listening position with low-gain is just north of 9 o'clock. I can go straight up with some difficulty. @TK16 can't thank you enough for the recommendations on the exact tubes and Cpt. Luke. It's so wonderful when everything goes right for a change!

I noticed some weirdness in the volume pot, not sure if it was there before or it is some interaction with the tubes. It seemed like a scratchy pot but as time goes on (less than 30 minutes so far) it seems to be disappearing.

The other thing I notice is that these tubes seem to run significantly cooler than the Sylvanias I had in there.
Glad you like the tubes, have not heard a sub $100 pair of tubes that are better than the Tesla 6CC41. Not sure what you mean by scratchy pot? If that goes away I don't think it is a problem.

Feb 25, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #23,033 of 23,494
I can't decide whether the pot is scratchy or the amp doesn't like increasing or decreasing the gain and takes an instant to settle down. It seems to be improving so maybe it's just the tubes settling.

There's definitely some noise there. With no input there is almost an ocean like sound and it gets louder with volume changes and then settles down. With music playing it's inaudible, I don't hear it during quiet parts. I have to see if it was there on the Sylvanias. I don't know this amp very well so it could be anything. Still extremely happy with the tubes.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #23,034 of 23,494
I can't decide whether the pot is scratchy or the amp doesn't like increasing or decreasing the gain and takes an instant to settle down. It seems to be improving so maybe it's just the tubes settling.

There's definitely some noise there. With no input there is almost an ocean like sound and it gets louder with volume changes and then settles down. With music playing it's inaudible, I don't hear it during quiet parts. I have to see if it was there on the Sylvanias. I don't know this amp very well so it could be anything. Still extremely happy with the tubes.
Tubes might be noisy, if you can turn the volume off and put it in high gain for a minute and turn the volume up very slowly. If you hear worse noise, the tube(s) are noisy. Just for a minute only. Put it back to low gain and burn in the tubes for about 100 hrs. The noise may go away if it isn't that severe or barely audible. If the noise on low gain is pretty severe. You may need to return the tubes.

Feb 26, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #23,035 of 23,494

Sometimes I get a similar scratchy like sound when the tube pins get a bit of oxidation. DeoxIT works well, I use 99.9 isopropyl and a Q-Tip also with good results.

Feb 26, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #23,036 of 23,494
Sometimes I get a similar scratchy like sound when the tube pins get a bit of oxidation. DeoxIT works well, I use 99.9 isopropyl and a Q-Tip also with good results.

I think the pins on these are in good shape. The noise is weird because it increases with any movement of the volume knob but then decays quickly. I'm going to check my previous tubes later and see if they do the same thing. The clarity is so good on these and I don't hear noise while music is playing. So the whole thing is just weird but not bothersome.

Feb 27, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #23,038 of 23,494
3 6201 PW 3x mica tubes for $230. Good deal.

IMHO one should be careful what to advice on.
If they were 100%, this would be a "good price". He tested them at 170V plate, -1Vg -> 8.5mA = 100%. Now it's possible they were 5.5mA that was rounded up to 6mA.
So two of them have one half that may be 65% or so. And will test as Bad or Questionable on most testers. The best half is only 90%.

IME these do not sound different or better than normal 6201 gold pins from the same factory that go for 50-75€/good testing pair.
I would not say these are very good tubes or a "good deal".

Feb 27, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #23,039 of 23,494
IMHO one should be careful what to advice on.
If they were 100%, this would be a "good price". He tested them at 170V plate, -1Vg -> 8.5mA = 100%. Now it's possible they were 5.5mA that was rounded up to 6mA.
So two of them have one half that may be 65% or so. And will test as Bad or Questionable on most testers. The best half is only 90%.

IME these do not sound different or better than normal 6201 gold pins from the same factory that go for 50-75€/good testing pair.
I would not say these are very good tubes or a "good deal".
Absolutely, please take over tube recommendations sold on Ebay. We look forward to your recommendations here

Feb 27, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #23,040 of 23,494
No brawling allowed. :D

What?!? No brawling? Well then thanks for the offer, but I'm not coming. I can get beer anywhere -- harder to find a good brawling atmosphere. Well, except maybe in Texas. Kind of normal there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back