Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Feb 27, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #23,041 of 23,494
That's why our saloon doors swing both ways... :D

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 4:52 AM Post #23,042 of 23,494
Hi all,

I know I haven’t posted here in quite a while but wanted to share with all of you my experience below.

I have been very fortunate to be a beta tester, for a company some of you may be familiar with, this company is Tubemonger. I know a beta tester sounds weird for tubes, but Tubemonger has done something quite impressive. They have taken a tube that most of you are probably not familiar with and made into a very impressive “plug and play” 6922/ECC88 etc. replacement option. That tube is the CV3986/6021 sub-miniature flying leads tube.

This tube has some impressive “numbers” shown on the data sheets.

This tube is rated to 60,000 ft without pressurization. Has a high “G load” tolerances to an amazing 450 max G Shock rating/impact acceleration load.

These tubes are Very Tough! These tubes because of their construction are also highly resistant to microphonics.

Here is some info from a data sheet:

CA638AFD-AB47-49E3-9730-4738F4BA637B.jpeg

Also here is a link to further information from another data sheet:
http://www.tubebooks.org/tubedata/HB-3/Receiving-Type_Industrial_Tubes/6021.PDF

5EC478E9-816D-4E0B-990A-DC51EB50D6B4.png

Also some pictures of the CV3986/6021 compared(for size differences) to one of my Amperex Holland long plate foil D getter 7316 / 12au7 1958 (Beckman label)

8EEF189D-A89A-4AEF-8E6E-E96B57E1BE99.jpeg

1F22FF1E-2F8B-4447-B3E2-82A67CFF58F8.jpeg

This is my current favorite tube and using my more versatile Mjolnir 2 from Schiit Audio, for tube rolling. The “Mini-Mullard’s” (for my gear and my ears) beat the likes of all of my other tubes consisting of varying types of including 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AX7, 6922, 2C51, 396A etc.

Ok now onto my review below
(These are my subjective opinions based on my gear and my ears YMMV)

(Disclaimer) “being a beta test means I received these tubes for review, the owner ask me for my subjective opinions on these tubes which are mentioned below. These are my opinions and my opinions alone”.

Regarding the CV3986/6021 (Mini-Mullards)

Okay let’s talk about a phenomenal tube,(for my setup at least) that tube would be Tubemonger’s new CV3986/6021 sub-mini tube, or as a friend of mine called it, the “Mini-Mullard” As we dive into details, let’s start with.

Detail: this tube is a detail monster, it dives into your recordings and digs out detail, flat out amazing detail retrieval!

Soundstage: this tube has a soundstage that is hard to find in a tube, what I mean by that, is the soundstage hits all three axis, it has width, depth and height. Most tubes will give you width but not touch on the others some tubes will give you width and depth, but very few tubes will give you all three.(atleast in my experience). Because of the soundstage this tube is very “lifelike” it gives you a sense of being “there”.

Imaging: again this tubes shines, it has some of the most “lifelike” imaging I have heard. It will “show you” where the instruments are located within your soundstage. Together with the above mentioned soundstage, it delivers an amazing listening experience. It adds “life” to your music.

Treble: the “Mini-Mullard’s” have very detailed and extended treble response. To my ears, it is different then a typical Mullard’s treble response. It reminds me of a Telefunken ECC801S treble response, though not harsh as the Telefunken, with even more detail.

Midrange: the midrange response on these tubes is wonderful, as this tube does have the Mullard’s “lush midrange”

Bass: the “Mini-Mullard’s” Bass takes on more of a flat or linear response. The bass is detailed and “clean”. For most tracks it’s just perfect(To my ears, with my setup), not muddy or bloated, just nicely detailed and when called for, impactful.

In summary: these really are phenomenal tubes, they offer great imaging and detail, a soundstage with width, depth and height, which gives them a “lifelike” sound! Capable of amazingly lifelike vocals, with their great treble and Mullard’s “lush” midrange response. More of a flat to linear bass response that has just the right amount of presentation and impact with out being overpowering, muddy, or bloated.
Other noteworthy mentions, the treble on these tubes can take a short time for your ears/brain to adjust to the sound, but when they do, the results are amazing!
The above are my impressions using the Monolith Liquid Platinum by Alex Cavalli. Below is my impressions on my Schiit Mjolnir 2
I was able to do a proper listening session with my Schiit Mjolnir 2 and on low gain all of the above mentioned review statements, stand true for the Mjolnir 2. The Mini-Mullard is an absolutely phenomenal tube!
Now where it gets interesting, on high gain on my Mjolnir 2 the Mini-Mullard really “POP” now this is to its benefit on most songs. However it’s also to its detriment on others.

For the benefits(most songs): the bass level increases while maintaining detail and “cleanliness” of the bass. It does however start to go away from being linear. The midrange has a slight “volume” boost as everything else about the midrange remains the same and treble takes on more energy.

For the detriments(a few songs, more related to poor mastering quality): the bass can be to much and become bloated, resulting in the complete loss of linearity. Midrange will lose definition and detail. Treble becomes harsh and edgy.

The above is only on high gain, as on low gain the tube sounds wonderful and does not exhibit any of the “high gain detriments” on the same tracks.

Side note of importance: I volume match the low and high gain settings on my Mjolnir 2 with the use of a sound level meter and test tracks. In this process I volume match to the decibel. For as accurate reviews as possible.

Side note: you really have hit a “Grand Slam” with these tubes! As they continue to impress me each time I listen to them.

Thank you!

Jeremy

These tubes are a Tubemonger exclusive and can be found here:
https://www.tubemonger.com/Mullard_CV3986_6021_1975_Mitcham_E88CC_SUB_NOS_p/ex-6021m.htm

Feb 29, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #23,043 of 23,494
Hi all,

I know I haven’t posted here in quite a while but wanted to share with all of you my experience below.

I have been very fortunate to be a beta tester, for a company some of you may be familiar with, this company is Tubemonger. I know a beta tester sounds weird for tubes, but Tubemonger has done something quite impressive. They have taken a tube that most of you are probably not familiar with and made into a very impressive “plug and play” 6922/ECC88 etc. replacement option. That tube is the CV3986/6021 sub-miniature flying leads tube.

This tube is rated to 60,000 ft without pressurization. Has a high “G load” tolerances to an amazing 450 max G Shock rating/impact acceleration load.

These tubes are Very Tough! These tubes because of their construction are also highly resistant to microphonics.

Also some pictures of the CV3986/6021 compared(for size differences) to one of my Amperex Holland long plate foil D getter 7316 / 12au7 1958 (Beckman label)

This is my current favorite tube and using my more versatile Mjolnir 2 from Schiit Audio, for tube rolling. The “Mini-Mullard’s” (for my gear and my ears) beat the likes of all of my other tubes consisting of varying types of including 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AX7, 6922, 2C51, 396A etc.

(Disclaimer) “being a beta test means I received these tubes for review, the owner ask me for my subjective opinions on these tubes which are mentioned below. These are my opinions and my opinions alone”.

Okay let’s talk about a phenomenal tube,(for my setup at least) that tube would be Tubemonger’s new CV3986/6021 sub-mini tube, or as a friend of mine called it, the “Mini-Mullard” As we dive into details, let’s start with.

Detail: this tube is a detail monster, it dives into your recordings and digs out detail, flat out amazing detail retrieval!

Soundstage: this tube has a soundstage that is hard to find in a tube, what I mean by that, is the soundstage hits all three axis, it has width, depth and height. Most tubes will give you width but not touch on the others some tubes will give you width and depth, but very few tubes will give you all three.(atleast in my experience). Because of the soundstage this tube is very “lifelike” it gives you a sense of being “there”.

Imaging: again this tubes shines, it has some of the most “lifelike” imaging I have heard. It will “show you” where the instruments are located within your soundstage. Together with the above mentioned soundstage, it delivers an amazing listening experience. It adds “life” to your music.

Treble: the “Mini-Mullard’s” have very detailed and extended treble response. To my ears, it is different then a typical Mullard’s treble response. It reminds me of a Telefunken ECC801S treble response, though not harsh as the Telefunken, with even more detail.

Midrange: the midrange response on these tubes is wonderful, as this tube does have the Mullard’s “lush midrange”

Bass: the “Mini-Mullard’s” Bass takes on more of a flat or linear response. The bass is detailed and “clean”. For most tracks it’s just perfect(To my ears, with my setup), not muddy or bloated, just nicely detailed and when called for, impactful.

In summary: these really are phenomenal tubes, they offer great imaging and detail, a soundstage with width, depth and height, which gives them a “lifelike” sound! Capable of amazingly lifelike vocals, with their great treble and Mullard’s “lush” midrange response. More of a flat to linear bass response that has just the right amount of presentation and impact with out being overpowering, muddy, or bloated.
Other noteworthy mentions, the treble on these tubes can take a short time for your ears/brain to adjust to the sound, but when they do, the results are amazing!
The above are my impressions using the Monolith Liquid Platinum by Alex Cavalli. Below is my impressions on my Schiit Mjolnir 2
I was able to do a proper listening session with my Schiit Mjolnir 2 and on low gain all of the above mentioned review statements, stand true for the Mjolnir 2. The Mini-Mullard is an absolutely phenomenal tube!
Now where it gets interesting, on high gain on my Mjolnir 2 the Mini-Mullard really “POP” now this is to its benefit on most songs. However it’s also to its detriment on others.

For the benefits(most songs): the bass level increases while maintaining detail and “cleanliness” of the bass. It does however start to go away from being linear. The midrange has a slight “volume” boost as everything else about the midrange remains the same and treble takes on more energy.

For the detriments(a few songs, more related to poor mastering quality): the bass can be to much and become bloated, resulting in the complete loss of linearity. Midrange will lose definition and detail. Treble becomes harsh and edgy.

The above is only on high gain, as on low gain the tube sounds wonderful and does not exhibit any of the “high gain detriments” on the same tracks.

Side note of importance: I volume match the low and high gain settings on my Mjolnir 2 with the use of a sound level meter and test tracks. In this process I volume match to the decibel. For as accurate reviews as possible.

Side note: you really have hit a “Grand Slam” with these tubes! As they continue to impress me each time I listen to them.

Thank you!

Jeremy

https://www.tubemonger.com/Mullard_CV3986_6021_1975_Mitcham_E88CC_SUB_NOS_p/ex-6021m.htm
The cats out of the bag!:o2smile: Let the madness begin. I will be buying a set, for sure.

Feb 29, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #23,044 of 23,494
Hi all,

Thank you!

Jeremy

Way cool! I've never been a big Mullard fan due to what I've heard in many of their tubes I've listened to: a rather closed in, 'airless' treble presentation and bloompy, gooey, ill-defined bass frequencies lacking impact and slam. Midrange? Oh yeah, baby, but the other two areas were too far out of my preference zone to ignore. If the 6201 eliminates or at least greatly reduces those deficiencies and keeps the midrange virtues intact, then that *is* a winner. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

One question -- hard to tell in the photo for sure, but does the 6021 base fit cleanly into a typical Schiit hole (sorry)? Like Lyr 3, Vali 2, etc?

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #23,045 of 23,494
@bcowen ^^ to celebrate your "6201" typo I changed my avatar. 59 6201 PW Hamburg.

Hi all,

Thank you!

Jeremy

Are these tubes considered coronavirus free?
Will you be chucking the 7316 LP D-getter in the garbage. Give me your address and I'll go dumster diving!

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #23,046 of 23,494
@bcowen ^^ to celebrate your "6201" typo I changed my avatar. 59 6201 PW Hamburg.

I caught my typo before you posted, so therefore I'm *not* guilty of the dastardly after-post duh-denying face-saving ethic-lacking edit. I'm guilty of lots of other schiit though, so opportunities are still reasonably limitless. :)

Those Herbie's look like kid's braces, just FYI. Do they get removed after the tubes grow up? :) :)

Feb 29, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #23,047 of 23,494
I caught my typo before you posted, so therefore I'm *not* guilty of the dastardly after-post duh-denying face-saving ethic-lacking edit. I'm guilty of lots of other schiit though, so opportunities are still reasonably limitless. :)

Those Herbie's look like kid's braces, just FYI. Do they get removed after the tubes grow up? :) :)
They can be removed as soon as the training wheels are not necessary. Think those mini Mullards would be cheaper if the paid endorsement was a bit more critical? The correct option would to be to bash the tubes on tubemonger.com and let us grab them at discount prices. Honest and honorable that way. :ksc75smile:

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #23,048 of 23,494
Hi all,

Thank you!

Jeremy

Just when I thought I'd kicked this nasty habit, here we go again... :unamused:

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #23,049 of 23,494
Just when I thought I'd kicked this nasty habit, here we go again... :unamused:

It's kind of like cigarettes -- even decades after you've quit you still want one.

But look on the bright side: when you're 93 and being pushed around in a wheelchair, someone will have figured out how to adapt a microwave oven tube to fit in the Lyr 24. :)

Feb 29, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #23,050 of 23,494
You joke, but don't be surprised if the latest and greatest in a few weeks ends up being NOS microwave magantron tubes. If it can be retrofitted for audio use and sound good, Tubemonger will find a way!! :D

Feb 29, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #23,051 of 23,494
What was wrong with the facts of what he wrote? Seemed reasonable / helpful to me.

Feb 29, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #23,052 of 23,494
Feb 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #23,053 of 23,494
What was wrong with the facts of what he wrote? Seemed reasonable / helpful to me.

@jb77 's post was both too useful and too helpful. Thanks to his useful and helpful post, I am now out $124 when I thought I had finally kicked the cruel affliction that is Tube Acquisition Syndrome. Sometimes the nicest folks can be ENABLERS and one's worst enemy!! :unamused:

(Or best friend depending on one's perspective. :D )

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #23,054 of 23,494
Um, to which post are you responding?

If it was one (or any) of @Ripper2860 's, then the answer is: everything. :) :) :) :)

Is it my fault that like 20 posts happen in this thread during the time it took me to respond to one post? :D

It was in regard to the post that looked like it had some legitimate questions based on the measurements posted by @Tom-s

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #23,055 of 23,494
I've trained myself not to blink while at HF. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back