Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jun 24, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #22,066 of 23,493
Anyone who has been wanting to try the Amperex ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter 1957-58 tubes. Tubemonger has some listed on their site for $15 per tube. Tubemonger has a disclaimer stating these are below 65% testing however they still sound good.

So yes these tubes are below 65% testing, however as mentioned below in the second screenshot, the “life” of a tube is not all about how it “tests” as there are many other factors involved and for only $15 per tube, it may be worth it for “you” to try and see how you like their sound.

I wanted to post this for anyone who has been curious about these tubes and want to know what they sound like.

For anyone who is interested, here is the link:
https://www.tubemonger.com/Amperex_Philips_ECC82_MINT_NOS_1957_58_Long_Plat_p/919-x.htm

They started-out with 21 available, they are now down to 13 remaining.

[/Q]

Rejects? I LOOOOOOOVE rejects, why do you think I hang out on this forum? :laughing:

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:45 PM Post #22,069 of 23,493
1957 must have been a 'bumper crop' year for ECC82 / 12AU7 Mullard Blackburn long plate production.:confused:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-Mulla...919962?hash=item592da5a5da:g:hkAAAOSw6D9dDVTq

I have a pair 'out for delivery' today.
Tube quality was at its height at that time due to the West being locked into a Cold War power struggle while simultaneously fighting a proxy war in North Korea, while ppl back home were building underground bomb shelters.

Preparedness was the name of the game whether it was tubes or shelters.

Jun 24, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #22,070 of 23,493
Tube quality was at its height at that time due to the West being locked into a Cold War power struggle while simultaneously fighting a proxy war in North Korea, while ppl back home were building underground bomb shelters.

No one was even thinking, in 1957, of how great these might be for audio in the far off future of 2019 :thinking:

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:09 PM Post #22,071 of 23,493
No one was even thinking, in 1957, of how great these might be for audio in the far off future of 2019 :thinking:
Your right, except for TK and a couple other prophets :santa: :unicorn: :black_joker:

Jun 24, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #22,072 of 23,493
Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #22,074 of 23,493
Jun 24, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #22,076 of 23,493

Yeah, and what good would a bomb shelter be without an awesome stereo? Might as well just go ahead and die in the initial blast.

:slight_smile:

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:59 PM Post #22,077 of 23,493
Yeah, and what good would a bomb shelter be without an awesome stereo? Might as well just go ahead and die in the initial blast.

:slight_smile:

And if you were listening to your HPs through a tubed amp in the shelter when the bomb hits, that’s effin’ RocknRoll!

Jun 24, 2019 at 10:22 PM Post #22,078 of 23,493
So I’m visiting LA this weekend and decided to check out the Upscale Audio brick n mortar store n the burbs.

I think I’ve spent hours n hours on their site over the years. 2 showrooms and a high end HP area with 2 chairs. Lots of cool vintage paraphernalia.

From Marantz 7s to the original Quad tubed mojo amps to signed Hendrix posters, and of course NOS tubes, including 2 boxes of Teles with NOS tubes them : a box of 6922s and one box of PCC88s locked up in displays

He had an original green n yellow Sylvania tube poster That had an exploded diagram of a tube. I made a comment about all the fake tubes out on the Internet.
Kevin immediately went into an act mimicking the manipulation of tubes with someone marking and stenciling on the tube to sell it as a fake!
Ha!

And I was brave today, no big purchases!

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:00 PM Post #22,080 of 23,493
Thankfully, my '57 pair of Blackburns were as quiet as my better testing '58's!

Sadly, Tube Depot is out of the Telefunken G73R, 'Black Beauties'. Hopfully some others took advantage of these Tele's when they were in stock and on sale. These tubes are quite impressive.
As good as the Blackburn Mullards are, and the are VERY good, I'd take the G73R if they were available........... maybe even at full price of $800 / pair.

I'll post my impressions when i have a bit more free time...................gotta go listen to my Stealth Black Beauties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not going to be bidding on the pair ending Sat listed on E-Bay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back