Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 3, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #21,046 of 23,494
Damn, must sound like an Edison wax cylinder phonograph.
During he Cold War, Russians would steal X-rays from hospitals and run then under a press to make "records". Like the ingenuity of the SE Asian Indians and Cubans. (Just a friendly reminder of how freakin lucky we are)
Must've been a different Matt. Lol. The only PWs I got are 7062.
*Edit I think you're talking about the 6211.
That is correct.
Obvious Percocet high post!
No, just good old Mary Jane :cartwheel::laughing:
You got that right, I had to reread it a few times...
Did Telefunken even make a 6201 triple?
I'm sure Totempole 999 has built a few in his garage! LOL

I got the LYR 2 in yesterday and got a little bit of time to listen to it as both a head-amp and a pre-amp. It sounds great as both but really excelled as a pre-amp. I rolled some Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s, Amperex USN 6922 Gold Pins, Matsu****a 6DJ8s, and Ediswan 6922s in it so far. To my ears it sounds best with the USN Amperex 6922s so far, but one of them had a bit of excess noise in it. I have a spare one somewhere so I'll try replacing it when I get a chance over the weekend and of course roll in the other 6DJ8 family tubes I have until the 12A*7 adapters come in.
I see now why everyone recommends tube socket protectors with the Lyr/Lyr2. It is a total pain in the a** to remove the tubes with them being so far down into the body of the amp. Nearly every audio component I have has tubes in it, and the Lyr 2 is by far the hardest to remove the tubes out of the sockets. Can't wait to get the adapters in and now I'm going to get some socket savers just to have even when I'm using something from the 6DJ8 family to ease the rolling process. Rolling with the stock sockets is a total pita!
I was a little surprised that it did not seem to be significantly powerful as a headphone amp even at high gain (was powering some HD650s and HE4XXs). It just seems to be slightly more powerful than the modded Little Dot Mk1+ that I have driving the above mentioned phones. Don't get me wrong it has plenty of power, just not as much as I was expecting. Maybe it's actually more powerful than I am initially realizing, but it is so smooth the total power is not readily apparent. Time will tell. I have no complaints with the sound quality however as both a head-amp and pre-amp. I was using it as a pre-amp with a Primaluna Prologue 4 tube amp with a speaker to balanced XLR headphone adapter powering some Modhouse Argons. This setup absolutely excelled! I think I'm going to get some balanced cables for the rest of my phones and use the Lyr mainly as a pre-amp. Either way it sounds great and has a lot of flexibility. This is going to be a lot of fun!
Lyr 2 as PreAMp is great for cost/value,. Overall, its a sweet gateway drug.
I know what you mean about he volume. I have a pair of 25 ohm Fostex HPs, and still found myself using the higher gain (8).

May 3, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #21,047 of 23,494
These Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88 are at least as holographic as the D getter 7316 Heerlen and incredible bass. Unique sound signature compared to anything I have heard. Top 5 tube at the very least and I have not gotten the GEC A2900 yet.
Not in my top 3, but def in my never sell collection. Also worth grabbing if you ever find some are 50s Valvo PCC88 PWs. I have a pair that are relatively low testing, but sound glorious.

May 4, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #21,057 of 23,494
I wouldn't click this link. Just sayin.

I quit using Firefox a while ago. Used to be THE browser, but has become so bloated, bogged down with crap, and random but frequent unexplainable errors that it became worthless (to me). They've done a really nice job of destroying what used to be an excellent browser.

I'm not a MS fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but Edge seems to piss me off the least these days. Just disable every add-on, extension, helper, etc. and it works fine. :laughing:

May 4, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #21,058 of 23,494
I quit using Firefox a while ago. Used to be THE browser, but has become so bloated, bogged down with crap, and random but frequent unexplainable errors that it became worthless (to me). They've done a really nice job of destroying what used to be an excellent browser.

I'm not a MS fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, but Edge seems to piss me off the least these days. Just disable every add-on, extension, helper, etc. and it works fine. :laughing:
So true.
I am using a very old version of the fox.

But yesterday, all add-ons were disabled. A quick search links to the linked site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back