Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
May 3, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #21,032 of 23,492
May 3, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #21,033 of 23,492
I got the LYR 2 in yesterday and got a little bit of time to listen to it as both a head-amp and a pre-amp. It sounds great as both but really excelled as a pre-amp. I rolled some Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s, Amperex USN 6922 Gold Pins, Matsushita 6DJ8s, and Ediswan 6922s in it so far. To my ears it sounds best with the USN Amperex 6922s so far, but one of them had a bit of excess noise in it. I have a spare one somewhere so I'll try replacing it when I get a chance over the weekend and of course roll in the other 6DJ8 family tubes I have until the 12A*7 adapters come in.

I see now why everyone recommends tube socket protectors with the Lyr/Lyr2. It is a total pain in the a** to remove the tubes with them being so far down into the body of the amp. Nearly every audio component I have has tubes in it, and the Lyr 2 is by far the hardest to remove the tubes out of the sockets. Can't wait to get the adapters in and now I'm going to get some socket savers just to have even when I'm using something from the 6DJ8 family to ease the rolling process. Rolling with the stock sockets is a total pita!

I was a little surprised that it did not seem to be significantly powerful as a headphone amp even at high gain (was powering some HD650s and HE4XXs). It just seems to be slightly more powerful than the modded Little Dot Mk1+ that I have driving the above mentioned phones. Don't get me wrong it has plenty of power, just not as much as I was expecting. Maybe it's actually more powerful than I am initially realizing, but it is so smooth the total power is not readily apparent. Time will tell. I have no complaints with the sound quality however as both a head-amp and pre-amp. I was using it as a pre-amp with a Primaluna Prologue 4 tube amp with a speaker to balanced XLR headphone adapter powering some Modhouse Argons. This setup absolutely excelled! I think I'm going to get some balanced cables for the rest of my phones and use the Lyr mainly as a pre-amp. Either way it sounds great and has a lot of flexibility. This is going to be a lot of fun!

Last edited:
May 3, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #21,035 of 23,492
I got the LYR 2 in yesterday and got a little bit of time to listen to it as both a head-amp and a pre-amp. It sounds great as both but really excelled as a pre-amp. I rolled some Amperex Bugle Boy 6DJ8s, Amperex USN 6922 Gold Pins, Matsu****a 6DJ8s, and Ediswan 6922s in it so far. To my ears it sounds best with the USN Amperex 6922s so far, but one of them had a bit of excess noise in it. I have a spare one somewhere so I'll try replacing it when I get a chance over the weekend and of course roll in the other 6DJ8 family tubes I have until the 12A*7 adapters come in.

I see now why everyone recommends tube socket protectors with the Lyr/Lyr2. It is a total pain in the a** to remove the tubes with them being so far down into the body of the amp. Nearly every audio component I have has tubes in it, and the Lyr 2 is by far the hardest to remove the tubes out of the sockets. Can't wait to get the adapters in and now I'm going to get some socket savers just to have even when I'm using something from the 6DJ8 family to ease the rolling process. Rolling with the stock sockets is a total pita!

I was a little surprised that it did not seem to be significantly powerful as a headphone amp even at high gain (was powering some HD650s and HE4XXs). It just seems to be slightly more powerful than the modded Little Dot Mk1+ that I have driving the above mentioned phones. Don't get me wrong it has plenty of power, just not as much as I was expecting. Maybe it's actually more powerful than I am initially realizing, but it is so smooth the total power is not readily apparent. Time will tell. I have no complaints with the sound quality however as both a head-amp and pre-amp. I was using it as a pre-amp with a Primaluna Prologue 4 tube amp with a speaker to balanced XLR headphone adapter powering some Modhouse Argons. This setup absolutely excelled! I think I'm going to get some balanced cables for the rest of my phones and use the Lyr mainly as a pre-amp. Either way it sounds great and has a lot of flexibility. This is going to be a lot of fun!
You did have the gain switch set to high on the Lyr while using as a headphone amp, correct?

May 3, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #21,036 of 23,492
You did have the gain switch set to high on the Lyr while using as a headphone amp, correct?
I did. Nice amount of power, just not quite as much as I was expecting.

May 3, 2019 at 2:48 PM Post #21,038 of 23,492
Folks you are lucky you did not buy those Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88. No noise, microphonics, only test 13,125-12,000 12,750-12,500
Other than the negatives I posted above, Holy Grail sounding to me ears, no burn in.

Not sure about everyone else, but personal thanks from me for taking the screwing for us on those two quiet, non-microphonic tubes that test at or above NOS levels. You're a true team player.

:stuck_out_tongue::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 3, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #21,044 of 23,492
Folks you are lucky you did not buy those Lorenz Stuttgart PCC88. No noise, microphonics, only test 13,125-12,000 12,750-12,500
Other than the negatives I posted above, Holy Grail sounding to me ears, no burn in.

OldSkool let me sample his pair on my WA2 and they were the real deal. Congrats !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back