Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 1, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #20,026 of 23,494
I am listening to a pair of Mullard Mitcham 6201 1964's, they are fantastic tubes similar to the 6201 PW Hamburg but with a tilt to the Mullard sound signature. Roughly $100. You can find them at upscale audio.
I suggest the platinum version for $110, best shot of non microphonic tubes.
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collec...age-british-new-old-stock?variant=21828848517
Descriptions of the grades suggest some tubes might be microphonic in gold. Bit confused on the description suggesting some may be microphonic. Mine were perfect night testing no noise/microphonics. Well of NOS testing.

I second what @TK16 said about those Mullard Mitchum 6201s - I got a pair also and at 60 hours, they are excellent and I think the price is right.

Thanks fellas, I was actually watching Kevin's tube video on Upscale when you mailed!
Kevin claims those Mullard Mitcham 6201s are the quietest 12AT7-type he has ever heard. Claims.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #20,027 of 23,494
Sorry, I didn't read all 1334 pages to see if this great issue of VTV has been dug up with the Way Back Machine. Great read, as are all volumes of VTV available on the WBM.

https://web.archive.org/web/2013112.../Pioneering-Wireless/eMagazines/VTV/VTV07.pdf

E88CC / 6922 (premium 6DJ8) Mullard old shield logo or white label, made in Great Britain, gold pins.

New Old Stock White Box and original box. Rare UK made old shield logo 6922 tubes from the 1960s. These are the most difficult to find in the 6922 NOS family. Ultra low noise, matched triode sections, heavily plated gold pins. Nice Mullard British made 6922 goldpin vintage tubes, difficult to find in the USA. Hand matched into pairs. Very musical and quiet tubes. Some are made for Philips with the SQ label, or other brands but all have the Mullard factory date codes. SINGLES are $115 each when available.

http://www.audiotubes.com/

Oh, the WAAAAAYBack Machine! At first read, I thought you were joking. Then I went to the hyperlink to see all the articles.
That is pretty cool. Of course VTV was published in Silicon Valley! they have an article on running computers with tubes.
and they some some interesting and helpful info about the 6DJ8 family of tubes.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:30 PM Post #20,028 of 23,494
Mar 3, 2019 at 5:19 AM Post #20,029 of 23,494
Updating my current pair of tubes for the Lyr 2 Schiit. I did not know what to expect but I bought the '75 6H1N Russian tubes with the rocket sign on them. They are as neutral as you can get. More neutral than the reflector because those last give an artificial reverb. Other than that, they sound about the same. Just perfect really. I have ended my tube research since. I am very glad I have two pairs so those will probably last as long as my amp especially since I can also use the LISST from time to time.

I recommend those rocket '75 and they sell for cheap! I think you can get them for less than $20 bucks. Do not hesitate.

Mar 3, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #20,030 of 23,494
Unless something has changed, the Lyr2 isn't rated to handle the 600ma filament rating of those tubes. If this is still the case, I would recommend switching to the 6N3P or 6N23P as to not damage your amp. 6N3P would require an adapter.

Updating my current pair of tubes for the Lyr 2 Schiit. I did not know what to expect but I bought the '75 6H1N Russian tubes with the rocket sign on them. They are as neutral as you can get. More neutral than the reflector because those last give an artificial reverb. Other than that, they sound about the same. Just perfect really. I have ended my tube research since. I am very glad I have two pairs so those will probably last as long as my amp especially since I can also use the LISST from time to time.

I recommend those rocket '75 and they sell for cheap! I think you can get them for less than $20 bucks. Do not hesitate.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #20,031 of 23,494
Unless something has changed, the Lyr2 isn't rated to handle the 600ma filament rating of those tubes. If this is still the case, I would recommend switching to the 6N3P or 6N23P as to not damage your amp. 6N3P would require an adapter.
Plus those 6n23p and 6n3p are better and pretty much the same cost.

Mar 3, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #20,032 of 23,494

Using those tubes, your amp will go sooner rather than later.

Mar 3, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #20,033 of 23,494
I am not a fan a Brent Jesse and think he gets a good rep, just for his website. I have had several issues, with the last 2 orders i placed with him, and I am done. He sent me a cracked base and noisy microphonic Kenrad 6sn7gt black glass, that i paid a premium for and I returned it. Before that, I ordered a RCA grey glass 1940's and ended up getting a National Union grey glass, which I ended up keeping, but was not what I ordered. Seems he should know the difference, or was he just trying to pass off, a tube he thought I would not know, the differences? Tube World and Upscale Audio, are better.
Good to know.
I made a purchase from him last month. Tubes that came has no issues so far.
I thought he was a reliable person and since I'm newbie in tube rolling so I went by his suggestion and bought from him with 100% faith from my side.will be careful next time.

I must add the tubes that I got are in top shape and the packaging was very good along with note on tube burn in etc. The boxes also showed tube type, brand, manufacturer, Production Type, Test Date and Gm 1 and Gm 2 for matched pair.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #20,034 of 23,494

No they are good been using them for 3 months now. It is wrote 6H1N on them but it is in russian, 6N1P but in russian 6Н1П

But I understand Schiit do not recommend using anything with more than 415mA. That's too bad I have already spend more money on tubes than the price of the Lyr 2. My ear taste do not recommend using anything with the slight coloration. I hate coloration. Id rather kill my lyr 2 enjoying neutral sound than spending another $400 on bad tubes. Look, use $20 bucks, buy those tubes, and when your Lyr 2 dies just buy another one lol.

The Lyr 2 goes for about $200 used now.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:31 AM Post #20,035 of 23,494
No they are good been using them for 3 months now. It is wrote 6H1N on them but it is in russian, 6N1P but in russian 6Н1П

But I understand Schiit do not recommend using anything with more than 415mA. That's too bad I have already spend more money on tubes than the price of the Lyr 2. My ear taste do not recommend using anything with the slight coloration. I hate coloration. Id rather kill my lyr 2 enjoying neutral sound than spending another $400 on bad tubes. Look, use $20 bucks, buy those tubes, and when your Lyr 2 dies just buy another one lol.
Makes a lot of sense bro. LOL

Mar 4, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #20,036 of 23,494
Mar 4, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #20,039 of 23,494
When the Lyr 2 blows up, get an original Lyr that can handle those 600mA tubes.
Lol. I had this 4 sentence response written but just back spaced it out figuring what’s the point.
You receive vital “knowledgeable advice” then blow it off..... just like what’s gonna happen to that amp eventually. Too funny.
You can buy a matched pair of the reflector triple mica’s for like $30 and you get a much more superior tube.

Mar 4, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #20,040 of 23,494
Yes. For real.

And I have been using those tubes for 3 months 12 hours a day.

Just make sure you post the video when the thing blows up, catches on fire, and burns your home down.
The insurance company is gonna love it when they investigate the claim and see your posts here, then they aint gonna
pay you Schiit.

Just razzin' you buddy. I like it when people think outside the box, but do the experiment on their own dime.

But seriously, if the Lyr 2 handles 415mA, and the Lyr 600mA, its it really that much of a difference?
Im not an Electrical Engineer, but generally speaking corps will spec comfortable numbers that won't get
them in trouble or sued down the line.

E.g. if 415mA is the official spec online by Schiit, then that is probably a safe number. Such that, in fact, it can probably handle up to 20% more? Would that be a decent estimate? 415 X 1.20 = 498mA, or roughly 500 mA.
So I'm GUESSING (settle down fellas) that the Lyr 2 could handle up to 500mA without too much trouble in the short run, though it may expedite the Lyr 2's death in the LONG run. I would assume it is like a car engine or a part of the human body: when one piece of a dynamically related whole is screwed up, it eventually wreaks havoc on the whole engine/body.

Bu its all theoretical right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back