Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 23, 2018 at 8:49 AM Post #17,536 of 23,494
Hah, 1 pair of triple mica left now...

Hope I got my order to you in time. Judging from what I heard late last night with just a couple hours of burn-in...we may have something special here. :thumbsup:

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #17,537 of 23,494
Another good orchestral tube! Good news.
Never found the Sylvania to be as precise or resolving as the Ken Rad 6C8G. Some of the National Union are nice. There are a least two variations on those.
Indeed, so many tubes.

Edit: For anyone who wants to explore another group that will work with the Lyr2/MJ2, there is the 12AU7/ECC82. A lot of options and brands from both sides of the Atlantic. 12AU7 has a 300mA heater with amplification factor of 20. Great range of tonal balance available by brand and type, soundstage can be impressive for a 9 pin tube, some challenge the better octals. Prices range from very reasonable to ridiculous. 12AU7 is the most reasonable with A.F. of 20. (12AT7 has A.F. of 60 and 12AX7 has A.F. of 100.) Yes, you need an adapter: 12AU7/12AT7 to 6922/ECC88.
Brent Jesse is a good place to visit for overview of brand or house sound descriptions and the many versions available. http://www.audiotubes.com/12au7.htm

My experience with subbing a 12AU7 was limited to the Vali 2 (with adapter), but completely agree it's a very neat path to travel. A lot of really good sounding tubes to play with at reasonable prices. The ones I personally like most were made in Europe, excepting the USA made RCA clear top (side getter). Of course, if you want to go for the ultimate right off the bat, the Amperex 7316 is (IMO) the cream of the crop. Amperex is the only manufacturer that ever made a true 7316. I do not know if they OEM'd and branded this tube for others, but if you see something labeled as a 7316 that's not an Amperex be wary. Prices are high (and some higher than stupid), but every now and then you can stumble across a deal.

Amp.jpg

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:52 PM Post #17,541 of 23,494
Of course, if you want to go for the ultimate right off the bat, the Amperex 7316 is (IMO) the cream of the crop. Amperex is the only manufacturer that ever made a true 7316. I do not know if they OEM'd and branded this tube for others, but if you see something labeled as a 7316 that's not an Amperex be wary. Prices are high (and some higher than stupid), but every now and then you can stumble across a deal.
The tube was made by Philips in the Netherlands as the ECC186 and relabeled by Amperex as the 7316. Amperex was a Philips brand used in the US. What ever Philips (or other) brand the tube may have, find the etched Philips code on it and you're good. The type code for the ECC186/7316 is Ct.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #17,542 of 23,494
Hope I got my order to you in time. Judging from what I heard late last night with just a couple hours of burn-in...we may have something special here. :thumbsup:
Yep. just in time.

All triple mica now sold out. I have 3 pairs of 50s double mica Foton left, then 60s. Most of the 60s are very early 60s. I also have a few pairs that are 59 and 60.

5 more pairs of triple mica on the way in a month.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #17,546 of 23,494
50ish hours of burn-in on the Fotons and they just sound great. Brahms Symphony 3, Claudio Abbado conducting the Berlin Philharmonic sounds absolutely incredible. Still the amazing clarity of lines. I'm really impressed. I had been hassling rnros about tubes good for orchestral pieces and these nail it.

Like TK I have things I should be doing and I don't want to take off the headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #17,547 of 23,494
I've only had the 50's triple mica Fotons from AC for a couple of days and I'm officially in the fan club. For tubes that favor the lower end of the spectrum they have amazing definition and nuance. And a gorgeous, vast soundstage.
I gotta believe these already have a bunch of hours on them...they CAN'T be this good raw. I mean I hope they get better...but even if they don't these are already real keepers.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #17,548 of 23,494
I've only had the 50's triple mica Fotons from AC for a couple of days and I'm officially in the fan club. For tubes that favor the lower end of the spectrum they have amazing definition and nuance. And a gorgeous, vast soundstage.
I gotta believe these already have a bunch of hours on them...they CAN'T be this good raw. I mean I hope they get better...but even if they don't these are already real keepers.
I though the same when I dropped my pair in for the first time, but they honestly do get better. I'm about 70+ hours in on my pair now. I received a bunch of new tubes that I was excited about recently, but after trying them all out, I put the triple mica Foton back in.

I'm going to harass my supplier to do whatever it takes to find a load more. :)

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #17,550 of 23,494
I though the same when I dropped my pair in for the first time, but they honestly do get better. I'm about 70+ hours in on my pair now. I received a bunch of new tubes that I was excited about recently, but after trying them all out, I put the triple mica Foton back in.

I'm going to harass my supplier to do whatever it takes to find a load more. :)
Please put me down for 2 pair of the triple Fotons..whenever they get in is fine.... TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back