Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 22, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #17,522 of 23,494
Hey, anybody have any tips on removing some tube risers from the Lyr? I don't see a way to reach in and pull them out and I'm stumped. Why Schiit ever designed amps with sunken tubes like this I'd like to know...

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #17,523 of 23,494
Was barely able to fit the Istok mini in my dac. few mm clearance. Got the 57 Foton 3x mica in the MJ2. Do not think I would run these mini in my dac for other than burning in 2 pairs at once. about 60% of the tube sound comes from the dac, 6922 tubes in the dac account for just around 25%. Not familiar enough with the Istok sound sig yet so cannot really give a proper mini review of each. The combo is killer sounding though.
LMAO, got home from work, only shorts on and freezing, need a shower, and freaking starving and do not want to take off my cans. My test songs for tube changes sound incredible.
Hahaha, signs of a true addict. The amount of sleep I’ve lost because I just didn’t want to stop listening and go to bed is likewise addict level.

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #17,524 of 23,494
Hey, anybody have any tips on removing some tube risers from the Lyr? I don't see a way to reach in and pull them out and I'm stumped. Why Schiit ever designed amps with sunken tubes like this I'd like to know...
I usually use a Russian tube on the mj2, they seem to be tighter than other tubes so end up pulling both out.

You can also bend the pins out a little to make them grip in the savers even more.

Apr 22, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #17,525 of 23,494
I usually use a Russian tube on the mj2, they seem to be tighter than other tubes so end up pulling both out.

You can also bend the pins out a little to make them grip in the savers even more.

Thanks, I'll see if I have some old Russians laying around to try. Or some tubes I don't care about bending the pins.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #17,526 of 23,494

Hmm, I'm not having any luck. What I have are Tubemonger's Plug Play NOVIB Socket Saver's. By bending all the pins out a bit, I'm able to rock the socket save back and forth but it's not moving up much. I have tried a needle nose pliers on the outside of the socket saver without any luck as well. Any other suggestions? (besides taking the amp apart of course :)

Apr 22, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #17,527 of 23,494
Hmm, I'm not having any luck. What I have are Tubemonger's Plug Play NOVIB Socket Saver's. By bending all the pins out a bit, I'm able to rock the socket save back and forth but it's not moving up much. I have tried a needle nose pliers on the outside of the socket saver without any luck as well. Any other suggestions? (besides taking the amp apart of course :)
@kolkoo devised something like a lasso, shoot him a pm.

Apr 22, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #17,528 of 23,494
Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #17,529 of 23,494
I understand that that’s frustrating, but I’m not sure blaming Schiit’s design is fair here. I can see two reasons for having the tubes sunken like that: simpler construction and aesthetics. By putting the sockets directly on the PCB, they have fewer wires to solder, stuff to screw to the case, etc. And by hiding the bases of the tubes, the whole thing looks much better. Granted, that may not make up for the inconvenience of having a tube saver stuck in there; I figure they’re not really designing for heavy tube rolling, but more the casual/infrequent kind.

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #17,530 of 23,494
@rnros recommended the Ken-Rads 6C8Gs awhile back and I really enjoyed the sound of those tubes. It's the sound I was expecting when I purchased the Siemen's CCa. Powerful, great low end, and has great extension.

I also ended up purchasing a few Tung-Sol 6C8Gs from eBay and I'm immensely enjoying their sound. They have a Tung-Sol 2c51 sound except with more depth and a wider sound stage. Mid forward, smooth, detailed, and did I say smooth?

The National 6C8Gs have a more liquid, laid back, type of sound. Not really powerful like the Ken-Rads, equal in the FR band, nothing stands out. Reminds me of the Mullard ECC88s except better with a wider sound stage. It's just that this tube is a bit unassuming.

In case you guys have the Lyr 2/3 or the MJ2 you should definitely try them out.

Apr 23, 2018 at 12:39 AM Post #17,531 of 23,494
Gents, I have 3 pairs of 50s triple mica Fotons, and 4 pairs of double mica 50s Fotons let. I managed to get hold of another 5 pairs of triple mica 50s Foton, which should arrive in a month or so, but until I receive and test, I don't know how many pairs that will end up being for sale.

More might show up, but that could also be the end of them.

Everyone seems to love the triple mica so far, with a few people ordering a second/third pair already. My pair hasn't left my amp except to try a set of tubes I had ordered that arrived, and now they're back in the mj2. They've made their way into my top 5, and haven't even finished burning in yet.

Apr 23, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #17,532 of 23,494
Gents, I have 3 pairs of 50s triple mica Fotons, and 4 pairs of double mica 50s Fotons let. I managed to get hold of another 5 pairs of triple mica 50s Foton, which should arrive in a month or so, but until I receive and test, I don't know how many pairs that will end up being for sale.

More might show up, but that could also be the end of them.

Everyone seems to love the triple mica so far, with a few people ordering a second/third pair already. My pair hasn't left my amp except to try a set of tubes I had ordered that arrived, and now they're back in the mj2. They've made their way into my top 5, and haven't even finished burning in yet.

2 pairs of triple mica Foton left now....

Apr 23, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #17,534 of 23,494
Huh. Didn't expect that. Threw out what I thought was a lowball bid on a pair of grey shield Siemens CCa tubes and ended up winning them. That should be interesting.

Meant to be.
Think you could find your way out now? I mean if you wanted to...
And in the deepest depths of the Rabbit Hole we hear, faintly... Is that music?
Just a little bit further...

Joking! Congrats on the nice purchase. : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back