Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 24, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #17,551 of 23,494
A couple more hours listening to these triple mica Fotons. Put Who's Next and Quadrophenia on and was immediately back to my sophmore year of college. It was so vivid. Who's Next was always a time-marker for me...which is weird because I liked The Who but didn't love them. I'll tell you what though...tonite I told myself I've never REALLY heard Keith Moon before. And I grew up on Keith Moon. I pretty much know when everything is coming. But I heard more depth to his stuff tonite than I ever had before...not even close really. That's how much I'm digging these tubes. They dig really deep into the music. Lot of meat. BIG 'ol slab of beef ribs amount of meat. What seems magical as well is how these tubes seem to feature the solos...they always seem placed perfectly in the soundstage in both space and volume. And the insturment sizes are so big...so true-to-scale real. Uh oh, I'm blathering...I'm sorry.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #17,552 of 23,494
I though the same when I dropped my pair in for the first time, but they honestly do get better. I'm about 70+ hours in on my pair now. I received a bunch of new tubes that I was excited about recently, but after trying them all out, I put the triple mica Foton back in.

I'm going to harass my supplier to do whatever it takes to find a load more. :)

See if your supplier has some of these Melz 6H8C's (6N8S). With very little time on them they're putting a great big smile on my face. Instrument separation, layering, and performers placed in a soundstage that I haven't yet heard through the Aeon's. A bit tizzy up top right now, but I'm optimistic that will go away once they get more hours on them.

Melz2.jpg

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #17,553 of 23,494
See if your supplier has some of these Melz 6H8C's (6N8S). With very little time on them they're putting a great big smile on my face. Instrument separation, layering, and performers placed in a soundstage that I haven't yet heard through the Aeon's. A bit tizzy up top right now, but I'm optimistic that will go away once they get more hours on them.

Got a triplet of those. Let me know how they are after you put in some good time on them.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #17,554 of 23,494
A couple more hours listening to these triple mica Fotons. Put Who's Next and Quadrophenia on and was immediately back to my sophmore year of college. It was so vivid. Who's Next was always a time-marker for me...which is weird because I liked The Who but didn't love them. I'll tell you what though...tonite I told myself I've never REALLY heard Keith Moon before. And I grew up on Keith Moon. I pretty much know when everything is coming. But I heard more depth to his stuff tonite than I ever had before...not even close really. That's how much I'm digging these tubes. They dig really deep into the music. Lot of meat. BIG 'ol slab of beef ribs amount of meat. What seems magical as well is how these tubes seem to feature the solos...they always seem placed perfectly in the soundstage in both space and volume. And the insturment sizes are so big...so true-to-scale real. Uh oh, I'm blathering...I'm sorry.
Got to be the most negative review I have read so far. I'll gladly take that pair off your hands bro. Paypal/trade ready!

Apr 24, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #17,556 of 23,494
Similar to the experience I had last night listening to them. Anne-Sophie Mutter playing the Brahms violin concerto with Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic: incredible immediacy on the violin, felt like she was in the room with me. I've never had such a lifelike response with headphones, ever. I ended up listening till 2 am when the dog started agitating to go out. The specter of cleaning up dog pee finally got me to take them off.

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #17,559 of 23,494
I had the original T1's for quite awhile and really liked them, especially for acoustic and smaller groups. They were more intimate than the HD800S's I have now. Smaller but beautiful soundstage.
It will be interesting to see how you feel about them with classical and with large orchestras. Very pure, clean headphones to my ears. Vocals are incredible.
I also had them recabled with a Moon Audio Black Dragon copper cable. To me it gave it a bit more bottom end and more timbre across the spectrum...although the original cable had a good reputation for stock.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #17,560 of 23,494
Yeah there are only so many ways you can say these tubes suck. Quality observation bro.
Got to use code words for these tubes, some of you guys bought multiple pairs of the 3x mica. I was gracious enough to get just 1 pair. True I got 3 pairs of the Istok's, but I'm only discussing Foton's here. Be interesting to see how the WE fairs against these Foton's. I think they are easily as good. With the 2 mica 50's and early 60's just a tiny notch below.

Anybody bidding on these 79 and 81 WE 396A's? Wonder if they sound worse than the earlier years?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/19-vintage-NOS-NIB-Western-Electric-396A-2C51-tubes-tested-/352336519990

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 7:44 PM Post #17,562 of 23,494
Please put me down for 2 pair of the triple Fotons..whenever they get in is fine.... TIA
Got to use code words for these tubes, some of you guys bought multiple pairs of the 3x mica. I was gracious enough to get just 1 pair. True I got 3 pairs of the Istok's, but I'm only discussing Foton's here. Be interesting to see how the WE fairs against these Foton's. I think they are easily as good. With the 2 mica 50's and early 60's just a tiny notch below.

Anybody bidding on these 79 and 81 WE 396A's? Wonder if they sound worse than the earlier years?
https://m.ebay.com/itm/19-vintage-NOS-NIB-Western-Electric-396A-2C51-tubes-tested-/352336519990

Just in case my supplier finds this thread, they're the worst tubes ever, wouldn't recommend them to anyone. Foton Schmoton.

I'll be limiting the batch of 5 pairs on their way to just one pair per person, just to make sure we spread the wealth. If I manage to get a bigger batch again, then I can do multiples. Don't mean to be a tube nazi, just want to make sure everyone that wants a pair can get them.

Apr 24, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #17,565 of 23,494

Users who are viewing this thread

Back