Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 27, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #17,585 of 23,494
Got a bunch of pairs to burn in first, they are easily as good as the WE going from memory, the 2x Foton's I rate a bit below the 3x mica, but not by much at all tbh.

I never felt like the 2x Fotons opened up in the higher ranges. The 3x’s to me have more weight and richer tone. But that’s my gear and my old ears. Also the 3x’s have about 20 more hours on them than my 2x’s did so maybe I’m not being totally fair.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:50 PM Post #17,586 of 23,494
I never felt like the 2x Fotons opened up in the higher ranges. The 3x’s to me have more weight and richer tone. But that’s my gear and my old ears. Also the 3x’s have about 20 more hours on them than my 2x’s did so maybe I’m not being totally fair.
I didn't find the 2x as good out of the box so to speak, but they do significantly improve with burn in past 100 hours or so. I'd say the difference between them when both burned, to my ears, in my chain, is that the 3x have a touch more 2nd order harmonic distortion, which explains that lush sparkle/excitement across the frequency range. I think the 2x are also very slightly more forward in the upper mids.

Apr 28, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #17,587 of 23,494
Was mostly reffering to the 2 50's pair and a freaking awesome pair of untested 62 2x. I rate them higher than the mid 60's pair I got. Though that pair is no sloutch by any means.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #17,588 of 23,494
Was mostly reffering to the 2 50's pair and a freaking awesome pair of untested 62 2x. I rate them higher than the mid 60's pair I got. Though that pair is no sloutch by any means.

I'm pretty sure that you and I had the mid 60's pair from the same seller.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #17,590 of 23,494
That makes sense. I think mine are '65 or '66. Like I said, I don't think they are even close to being fully burned-in...but with these 50's triples from AC I doubt they are going to find their way back into the amp, lol.

Apr 28, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #17,591 of 23,494
That makes sense. I think mine are '65 or '66. Like I said, I don't think they are even close to being fully burned-in...but with these 50's triples from AC I doubt they are going to find their way back into the amp, lol.
I hear ya, my 3x is already burned in and I don't want to take them out, got 4 more pair of tubes that need burned in. And I have always taken out burned in pair and put others in. Only tested the 4 other pairs I got briefly to hear how they sound and quick check for noise/microphonics and put the 3x right back in. Those Istek's reminds me of the Heerlen TS midrange.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #17,592 of 23,494
I hear ya, my 3x is already burned in and I don't want to take them out, got 4 more pair of tubes that need burned in. And I have always taken out burned in pair and put others in. Only tested the 4 other pairs I got briefly to hear how they sound and quick check for noise/microphonics and put the 3x right back in. Those Istek's reminds me of the Heerlen TS midrange.

Actually, if anyone here wants my original '65 pair you can have them for shipping cost...CONUS only. Let's say $10 for shipping, paypal 'friends and family'. PM me.

Apr 28, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #17,594 of 23,494
People giving away free tubes in the thread? That is freaking unheard of!!!
If it’s free? I’ll take 3.
For me, I can’t get the regular 60’s Fotons out of the MJ2 as they’ve finally received a proper burn in and they sound fabulous. I haven’t even heard the 50’s triple mica nor the 50’s istok triple mica. What sucks, I don’t have a clue what years they are except they’re 50’s. How can you tell as there’s nothing on the glass that has any date codes? At least from memory. I’ll have to check.
Damn, so much glass and not enough time. I may decide just to sell everything I have and keep all these eastern bloc tubes. They’re that good.

Apr 28, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #17,595 of 23,494
The codes are there on my tubes, they are very faint with some of them. Don't remember if the mini's have a code or not. They may have them the mini's are supposed to be 56.

1 set of mini's is 56, other in dac.
1 Istok regular is a 57, other I cannot see at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back