Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Apr 30, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #17,611 of 23,494
"If it looks too good to be true..." applies once again. :unamused:

WE.jpg

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:23 PM Post #17,613 of 23,494
Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #17,616 of 23,494
Listened to the 1954 Hytron 2C51s for quite a few hours last night. Very neutral, very clean. Nothing stands out in the range; almost a solid-state sound. If I wanted that, why wouldn't I just use my O2 solid state amp? I'm not sure these are keepers. They're not bad, but I was longing for some tubeyness. I did get completely absorbed in the Karajan/Leontyne Price recording of Carmen though so not a wasted evening.

I think the Istok minis will probably go into the Lyr 2 next to see what they can do for me, but I kind of want to just put the Foton triple micas or the Ken-Rad 6C8Gs back in and call it a day. Still waiting on the Siemens 1965 CCas but tracking shows they should be here any day now.

Sending the Beyerdynamic T1s back, I'm pretty sure. After they burned in a hundred hours they sounded better but still not good and they cost way too much money for a step backward. I think I am learning a lesson that between the Elear and the HE-560 I've pretty much found the sound signature I like and spending more money is not likely to improve it significantly, if at all. Will they take away my head-fi card? Heretic! Heretic!

May 1, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #17,618 of 23,494
2 lots available too. Plus he has a stock of 500 tubes. At this price, it may be worth it. I’m betting there will be some hidden gems in the entire lot 500 when he sells.

May 1, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #17,619 of 23,494
I see mostly Reflektor and Oktyabr 6n3p/i/e, and one double mica Foton.

I've also seen ads from this guy for the last year, all saying inherited from his grandfather. Now either his grandfather once owned a hangar sized warehouse full of tubes etc, or he's full of it.

Price with shipping works out to $2 ish a tube, which for general 6n3p, untested, isn't terrible, but if half the batch are dead or shorted, it's not the best bargain.

If anyone gets them, I highly recommend testing for at least shorts.

May 1, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #17,620 of 23,494
Don't you guys have better things to do...like just listening to music on tubes you already know are spectacular ???
By the time you're done burning in all that schiit, you'll be dead. Priorities, gentlemen, priorities.
(I'm kidding of course...kinda)

May 1, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #17,622 of 23,494
Don't you guys have better things to do...like just listening to music on tubes you already know are spectacular ???
By the time you're done burning in all that schiit, you'll be dead. Priorities, gentlemen, priorities.
I'm waiting for the next holy grail, these Foton's were under the radar a very long time. The 2 pair of Istok's I am burning in are very good but not holy grail territory at least not yet. 1 pair got 64 hours the other 55.

May 1, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #17,623 of 23,494
What else is there to do except buy tubes,
listen to music and pi$$ off the wife!

May 1, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #17,625 of 23,494
What else is there to do except buy tubes,
listen to music and pi$$ off the wife!

LOL! One of the universal truths: there's no such thing as too much money...or too many tubes. :stuck_out_tongue:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back