Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Mar 12, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #16,970 of 23,494
I couldn't decide whether that quad was good or not. I got outbid but I have plenty of tubes to keep me busy.
You are probably better off, seller just told me the tubes are tested but not marked with testing numbers. The 2 lower testing tubes look like a good match. The other pair there is around a 10% difference in GM. When I asked for them to be retested I got a shipping notification. Of course I do not have a tester.

Mar 13, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #16,971 of 23,494
You are probably better off, seller just told me the tubes are tested but not marked with testing numbers. The 2 lower testing tubes look like a good match. The other pair there is around a 10% difference in GM. When I asked for them to be retested I got a shipping notification. Of course I do not have a tester.
Within 10% is totally fine, but I'm happy to test them for you if you want to send them over.

They're far from my preferred sound sig, so you don't have to worry about me keeping them. :)

Mar 13, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #16,973 of 23,494
Do you think I could tell by sound if I ran a low testing tube with high testing?
Depends how far from each other they are, but you should be able to tell over a few songs. The glow of the triodes might help too. Not always the case, but combined with listening might help you know which are which. If all else fails, try the different combinations with the same set of songs, and if you can't tell the difference at the end of it, then it doesn't matter which are which. They're either close enough, or the amp is doing a bloody good job of auto-biasing.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #16,974 of 23,494
I am not sure the glow of the triodes is a good factor? I have quite a few match sets, within 5% or better, that have different brightness on the triodes. At least this was my understanding, and I could be wrong. It seems to me that you would have to be toward the end of the life of the tubes to be able to tell a difference, so if they are at 70% life or so, I would think it would be real hard to tell.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #16,975 of 23,494
I recently mixed up 2 of my pairs of Tung Sol 2c51's and I listened to a pair that was around 20% off, and I actually moved the tubes from left to right and I could not tell a difference. Of course I am only listening with my DT 1770's, so with a more resolving pair of cans, maybe I would be able to tell, but I doubt it.

Mar 13, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #16,976 of 23,494
You guys all have ears like no other or my ears are much worse then I thought. I’ve actually mixed up makes of tubes (long story and not worth it other the “duh”) and listened for hours, went to roll another pair for darker HP’s and noticed my mistake.
I truly didn’t hear any difference or unbalance. What’s odd is I definitely can hear plenty of difference when I roll between different sets on the same HP. Maybe the LYR2 is better then I thought by “auto-biasing”
Thanx AC, just learned something new today.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #16,977 of 23,494
Finally received the Mjolnir and have been running it in for about 5 days. Yesterday I received my adapters for the Ken
Rads. Only about 15 hours on them but I really enjoy them. Will be doing a lot of tube rolling this week. The Mjolnir only as about 100 hours on it so every listening session seems to be improving. All in all it is my endgame for the time being...Where is the end of that rabbit hole?????

20180313_081304.jpg

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #16,978 of 23,494
Finally received the Mjolnir and have been running it in for about 5 days. Yesterday I received my adapters for the Ken
Rads. Only about 15 hours on them but I really enjoy them. Will be doing a lot of tube rolling this week. The Mjolnir only as about 100 hours on it so every listening session seems to be improving. All in all it is my endgame for the time being...Where is the end of that rabbit hole?????

Sir, the rabbit hole goes deep. This place is basically a collection of tube addicts and tube anynomous rejects.

I even think @TK16 was even reported to the tube union alliance for questioning a sale on eBay.

Mar 13, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #16,979 of 23,494
I am not sure the glow of the triodes is a good factor? I have quite a few match sets, within 5% or better, that have different brightness on the triodes. At least this was my understanding, and I could be wrong. It seems to me that you would have to be toward the end of the life of the tubes to be able to tell a difference, so if they are at 70% life or so, I would think it would be real hard to tell.
Right, it's not always, but combined with hearing it might help indicate, might not. I guess if it's not identifiable, it doesn't matter anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back