Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 19, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #15,466 of 23,494
This may a bit off topic but indirectly I think it’s ok.
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new pair of HE560’s since I sold a couple pair of HP’s already. I know TK owns them and hopefully a few of you other L2 owners do too.
Is this a good match with the Ly2 and all the tubes I’m running with? I have a lot of tubes and most of my HP’s are low impedance and I believe that’s causing some of
My static issues lately. I need something with higher impedance other then my HD650’s.

Help a brother out and give me your short take if it’s a good purchase. Of course I know it’s my decision and ears so ill keep that in mind.

Well made headphones shouldn’t be producing static/distortion unless it’s being fed dirty power or being pushed to extremely high volumes. I know I have the Mjolnir 2 and not the Lyr 2 but they inherently share the same design. From my Aeon Open Flows which have an impedance of 19ohm to my Sennheiser HD650 which has an impedance of 300ohms I’ve never had static that would push me to not listen anymore. Sounds like it’s very noticeable.

It also doesn’t sound like it’s the tubes. You’ve amassed a pretty good amount of them but if they all exhibit the same static noise then I surmise it has to be something else in your chain.

Do you still have the Jotunheim available? If you do maybe swapping it in place of the Lyr 2 may give you an idea of what could be causing the issue. If you still hear static then it could be something else in your chain causing the problem. I can also loan you a Schiit Fulla 2 and you could trouble shoot your DAC or headphone amp portion.

The HE-560 seems to be great for the music you listen to. Fast and resolving headphones. It could be worth a buy just to have them.

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #15,467 of 23,494
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new pair of HE560’s since I sold a couple pair of HP’s already. I know TK owns them and hopefully a few of you other L2 owners do too.
Is this a good match with the Ly2 and all the tubes I’m running with? I have a lot of tubes and most of my HP’s are low impedance and I believe that’s causing some of
My static issues lately. I need something with higher impedance other then my HD650’s.

Help a brother out and give me your short take if it’s a good purchase. Of course I know it’s my decision and ears so ill keep that in mind.
For me, my HE-560 + Lyr 1 (so, your Lyr 2 will have a blacker background due to the DC heater circuit) is my best all rounder. The only things I've changed with it are more open grills and ZMF Ori pads. Better sound stage, imaging and detail retrieval than my HE-500, and an overall richer presentation than my HE-5LE. They're also far more forgiving than my Koss eStat, which can be brutal with bad mixes or mastering.

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #15,468 of 23,494

I'm think about hifiman Sundara...but I can't decide which hp.
But I want upgrade....

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #15,469 of 23,494
Well made headphones shouldn’t be producing static/distortion unless it’s being fed dirty power or being pushed to extremely high volumes. I know I have the Mjolnir 2 and not the Lyr 2 but they inherently share the same design. From my Aeon Open Flows which have an impedance of 19ohm to my Sennheiser HD650 which has an impedance of 300ohms I’ve never had static that would push me to not listen anymore. Sounds like it’s very noticeable.

It also doesn’t sound like it’s the tubes. You’ve amassed a pretty good amount of them but if they all exhibit the same static noise then I surmise it has to be something else in your chain.

Do you still have the Jotunheim available? If you do maybe swapping it in place of the Lyr 2 may give you an idea of what could be causing the issue. If you still hear static then it could be something else in your chain causing the problem. I can also loan you a Schiit Fulla 2 and you could trouble shoot your DAC or headphone amp portion.

The HE-560 seems to be great for the music you listen to. Fast and resolving headphones. It could be worth a buy just to have them.
I have to say, you are “one of the” (there’s others) kindest people.
You always help me bro even knowing (I know it too) that I can be a real PITA with my ignorance with these things.
I didn’t know jack about anything about anything when it came to HP’s, amps/DACS, tubes, etc. until March of this year. Just wanted to thank you bro. I know I iratate a few of you but you’ll get over it.
I still own the Jot and same issue. I now know it’s either dirty power, maybe the DAC,
Something in my chain. I have a lot of work ahead of me to figure it out. It’s pretty bad.
I appreciate the offer to use the Fulla but I first need to eliminate all the things I just mentioned. Thanx for your take on the 560. I think I’m going to pull the trigger very soon.

[
QUOTE="ThurstonX, post: 13924150, member: 342206"]For me, my HE-560 + Lyr 1 (so, your Lyr 2 will have a blacker background due to the DC heater circuit) is my best all rounder. The only things I've changed with it are more open grills and ZMF Ori pads. Better sound stage, imaging and detail retrieval than my HE-500, and an overall richer presentation than my HE-5LE. They're also far more forgiving than my Koss eStat, which can be brutal with bad mixes or mastering.[/QUOTE]
Thank you. I have the Ori’s on my Purplehearts so I’ll probably swap them out first to see if I like the pairing. That’s great info that you feel they’re you’re best all arounder. Kinda solidifies that I’ll pick these up today I believe.
Thanx bro!

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #15,471 of 23,494

They are excellent cans for the price, though I would not use bright tubes with them imo. Those focus pads and focus a pads ripped on me several times. Do not use those any anymore. Use the ori pads with the HE500, 560.

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #15,472 of 23,494
I never listen to the he560. Hope you aren’t paying too much. They should go for $350 plus any cable extras. Mine are kind of a pain due to the smc connection and I just prefer the zmf hps I have. You have tubes that will make the match up nice. A lot just sound too flat and warm with it.
All to my taste of course. I was told the mids were too dry for some and the highs were problematic / sibilant but I don’t find that to be the case. I like the openness but find them a bit dull otherwise. They are my only nice open hp or they would be gone.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #15,473 of 23,494
I never listen to the he560. Hope you aren’t paying too much. They should go for $350 plus any cable extras. Mine are kind of a pain due to the smc connection and I just prefer the zmf hps I have. You have tubes that will make the match up nice. A lot just sound too flat and warm with it.
All to my taste of course. I was told the mids were too dry for some and the highs were problematic / sibilant but I don’t find that to be the case. I like the openness but find them a bit dull otherwise. They are my only nice open hp or they would be gone.
Interesting and a good opposite take on them. That’s exactly what I’m looking for. I’ve always been intrigued with all of Zach’s
Stuff. He let me hold on to the Auteur after our meet here in Phoenix and I loved them. Just a little out of budget unless I sell the other 2 HP’s I have for sale. That’s why I’m strongly looking at the 560 as many say they are excellent with the Lyr/Lyr2 & especially for the $$$
They’re new for $499 and I’d rather go that route just for warranty purposes. I just missed out on a used pair here for $300 and I can kick myself.

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #15,474 of 23,494
They are excellent cans for the price, though I would not use bright tubes with them imo. Those focus pads and focus a pads ripped on me several times. Do not use those any anymore. Use the ori pads with the HE500, 560.
I believe most of my tubes are a bit on the warm side except for the Bendix and maybe some of my cheaper tubes. But when you’re using the TH 900 like I am Predominantly, it’s gotta be a warm tube because these are bright, but I like it. My hearing is messed up so it works for me.
Thanx for the call out on the pads.
Sounds like I need another pair of Ori’s.

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #15,475 of 23,494

If you haven't heard the Aeon yet, might want to check those also. Not just an impedance issue, my HD650s are more sensitive to amp/tube noise than my Aeons. The Aeons are extremely quiet, I have the closed version, the open version is said to have a little more emphasis in the high bass/low mids range.

But if problem persists with the Jot, then as noted it might be power related. Also try another feed to your DAC. If you have a coax feed, try that for comparison, to determine if it is USB related.

Dec 19, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #15,476 of 23,494
If you haven't heard the Aeon yet, might want to check those also. Not just an impedance issue, my HD650s are more sensitive to amp/tube noise than my Aeons. The Aeons are extremely quiet, I have the closed version, the open version is said to have a little more emphasis in the high bass/low mids range.

But if problem persists with the Jot, then as noted it might be power related. Also try another feed to your DAC. If you have a coax feed, try that for comparison, to determine if it is USB related.
Do you have the open or closed? This is something to consider strongly as I never thought about these. They could be in my wheelhouse budget wise if I sell Just 1 more set of HP’s.

Edit: NM, just reread you have closed. Do they still have that open sound with good stage like the TH900?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #15,479 of 23,494
Do you have the open or closed? This is something to consider strongly as I never thought about these. They could be in my wheelhouse budget wise if I sell Just 1 more set of HP’s.

Edit: NM, just reread you have closed. Do they still have that open sound with good stage like the TH900?

Excellent soundstage, not like the typical/older closed HP soundstage expectation. Not familiar with the TH900.
Purchased these just after the Sony Z1R, which has an incredible soundstage for a 'closed' HP, and was very impressed with the level of soundstage projection of the Aeon compared to the Z1R. Not exactly the same level, but very, very good and 1/3 the price of the Z1R.
Also one of the most comfortable HPs I have, that combined with performance and quiet background, has made it the HP I use most often.

All that said, HP choice is very personal, so best to hear them first. I do like the Aeon closed very much, but again others may prefer the slightly different FR of the Aeon open. LOL, I purchased the Z1R and Aeon without hearing them first and was just lucky. Prior to that I was considering the Elear, but auditioned those and did like them. So took a leap with the Z1R and then the Aeon.

Correction: Meant to say I did not like the Elear.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #15,480 of 23,494
Auteur is out of range as well . Ive never had a problem with my 560. Mechanically that is. Other than those crummy smc connectors coming undone. It was the over softness if the sound that was its undoing to me. I prefer a more intense attack. It was my #1 for about 6 months. Then I got the Omni / ori and switched them back and forth for a while. Resolution and attack of the latter won me over. 560 for $500 new is a solid deal . When I got the iha6 it became a no brainer. The 560 doesn’t require near the power that the Omni does to perform

Users who are viewing this thread

Back