Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 18, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #15,451 of 23,494
I was going to purchase some Reflektor HG’s and decided I didn’t want to push my luck. Looks like you’ll have a bad time trying to return them for a refund. Really wanted another set of PW Amperex but then I realized I may have a problem. So instead I ordered a set of used Amperex 7308s that tested high and only used for a few months for $120. I thought I was done but every time I look at that Siemens CCa listing my neck gets really itchy and I have to scratch it.

If anyone is looking for a pair of 5 Star double Mica GEs let me know and I’ll shoot them to you for free. The first one is free but the second pair will cost you. :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #15,452 of 23,494
I was going to purchase some Reflektor HG’s and decided I didn’t want to push my luck. Looks like you’ll have a bad time trying to return them for a refund. Really wanted another set of PW Amperex but then I realized I may have a problem. So instead I ordered a set of used Amperex 7308s that tested high and only used for a few months for $120. I thought I was done but every time I look at that Siemens CCa listing my neck gets really itchy and I have to scratch it.

If anyone is looking for a pair of 5 Star double Mica GEs let me know and I’ll shoot them to you for free. The first one is free but the second pair will cost you. :wink:
My tip is you won’t use the 7308 much if they are usa too) since you already have the PW.

Perhaps should have put that money towards your next tube purchase. Like the siemens cca or holland PW

Quality over quantity.

anyway just saying.......i may be the exception to the norm here as i spent most of my audio dollars on tubes in 2016 and headphones in 2017. Happy with both years’ endeavours

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #15,453 of 23,494

I agree with @thecrow, quality over quantity. That is after I did exactly what your doing bro. Bought a lot of great tubes, but also bought some mediocre tubes as well. Part of the learning curve. I suggest some USA and Heerlen d getters. I did not care much for the USA 6922 D getters but you would probably like em and some D getter Heerlen E88CC. Cheaper than the PW but killer tubes.

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #15,454 of 23,494
I’m going to dump most of my tubes except for a handful. I’ll keep all the RFK 6N3P variants since they’re cheap but a lot of the other ones that are middle of the road are going bye bye.
My prob is I bought so many, never burned them in and when I got around to it, doesn’t fit
My sound profile. 1 set was Microphonic and too late to return. Those I’ll just sit on of course.
I went down the rabbit hole blind without knowing what I was doing. I definitely went quantity of quality (big time) and I’ll never even give half of these a proper holiday dinner roasting.
Everything I’ve read, I own the worst tubes out there in all of your opinions.... ECC88 variants. What was I thinking anyway.
I’m also selling 5 pairs of HP’s
With 2 gone already. Want another TOTL planar instead of????!! Quality of quantity.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #15,455 of 23,494
My tip is you won’t use the 7308 much if they are usa too) since you already have the PW.

Perhaps should have put that money towards your next tube purchase. Like the siemens cca or holland PW

Quality over quantity.

anyway just saying.......i may be the exception to the norm here as i spent most of my audio dollars on tubes in 2016 and headphones in 2017. Happy with both years’ endeavours

This year has been an experience in the audiophile world. Starting off with a simple want for a better headphone. To purchasing an “insanely” priced $400 pair of headphones, to buying my first SS amp and then jumping to a hybrid tube amp. Lots of reading, stumbling, and sifting through a breadthe of information on tubes. You guys definitely helped me along the way. 2017 has been a fun year.

I’m looking for the Amperex 7308s to be a good all around tube when I’m studying or online gaming. The PW Amperexes will be my go to when I sit down with a nice whiskey and pull out some nice Jazz, Electronica, and 80s Synth Pop. I’ll most likely be wrapping up my tube purchases with a pair of Siemens CCa for rock, alternative, and who knows what else I may enjoy with them.

After the CCas I think I’ll consolidate my tubes, sell off a few and settle on the ones I do like. It’s been fun experimenting with different tube signatures. Year 2018 will be your 2017 with finalizing the headphone stable and to just enjoy music. I’m sure I’ll get another each since you only really hit the pause button and never stop. Thanks for the recommendations and help!

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #15,456 of 23,494

Damn! Usually when I run into issues with distortion, jitter, or the sound cutting out I can trace it back to the Mimby. I'll let it sit cold for around 10-15 seconds, turn it back on, and that usually resolves the problem. If that doesn't work i'd work by switching power from one power strip/outlet to another, then turning off other pieces of equipment in your chain and turning them back on to see if that will resolve the issue, then finally removing the socket savers (which is a pain in the @$$) but can be done by tying the floss around it and pulling up. Keep us updated and hopefully you get it resolved.
Thanx the the assistance. I’ll update you through a PM.

Dec 18, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #15,458 of 23,494
Dec 18, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #15,460 of 23,494
Dec 19, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #15,461 of 23,494
Haaa probably not :D They seem to be a really nice tube value-wise however, because of the higher transconductance and high emission they should be useable in the Lyr/Mj2 longer than any other tube I've used so far. If they turn out to be as good as advertised I plan to solder them myself next time into some cheaper sockets and see how it goes.

LOL
How do they sound? I have a telefunken sub miniature in a tube mic I've had for years. Does a great job in the mic, especially for female voice, and strings.

Dec 19, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #15,463 of 23,494
Dec 19, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #15,464 of 23,494
This may a bit off topic but indirectly I think it’s ok.
I’m getting ready to pull the trigger on a new pair of HE560’s since I sold a couple pair of HP’s already. I know TK owns them and hopefully a few of you other L2 owners do too.
Is this a good match with the Ly2 and all the tubes I’m running with? I have a lot of tubes and most of my HP’s are low impedance and I believe that’s causing some of
My static issues lately. I need something with higher impedance other then my HD650’s.

Help a brother out and give me your short take if it’s a good purchase. Of course I know it’s my decision and ears so ill keep that in mind.

Dec 19, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #15,465 of 23,494
Haaa probably not :D They seem to be a really nice tube value-wise however, because of the higher transconductance and high emission they should be useable in the Lyr/Mj2 longer than any other tube I've used so far. If they turn out to be as good as advertised I plan to solder them myself next time into some cheaper sockets and see how it goes.

LOL

Interesting tube designed for extreme conditions. Good to altitude of 80,000 feet!
Transconductance is higher, as is amplification factor (~40vs33), but watts are lower (~1.1vs1.8), compared with 6DJ8.
If frequency response is good, next question would be (scale of) soundstage projection.
Look forward to your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back