Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 12, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #7,097 of 23,494
Heerlen. Wish they were Eindhoven.

The Heerlen D's that I have (non pw) soundstage is fantastic. They do not have the euphonic bliss of the pw Heerlens, however. Just a super wide, accurate soundstage.

They were picked up for the same price as newer E88CC's, so I was quite happy with them. They're stamped as Miniwatt's as well. The printing was messed up at the factory, so kind of misaligned. I'll take some pics when I'm back home in a couple weeks.

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #7,098 of 23,494
I have been looking for a good way to store my ever growing glass menagerie.  I think I have found it.

It will hold 25 pairs of tubes either in their box or bubble wrapped.

Bought it from Hobby Supply Direct.  It is a 50 rolled quarter storage box.  It was $6.99 plus shipping.

Jul 14, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #7,099 of 23,494
  I have been looking for a good way to store my ever growing glass menagerie.  I think I have found it.

It will hold 25 pairs of tubes either in their box or bubble wrapped.

Bought it from Hobby Supply Direct.  It is a 50 rolled quarter storage box.  It was $6.99 plus shipping.

That's a nice one.  Let us know how it works out.

Jul 15, 2015 at 5:57 AM Post #7,101 of 23,494
Jul 15, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #7,102 of 23,494

25 pairs of quality tubes... lol

It does look like a very nice box to use for tube storage. But unfortunately, I would need about 20 of them. lol :)

Speaking of which, these arrived recently, E182CC/7119, pinched waist, Heerlen, 1958. (ID0 ⊿8J and ID0 ⊿8K). Has anyone tried them in a Lyr? They have a different pinout than the E188CC, so an adapter is necessary to reroute the pins. (Unfortunately, with 0.6A heaters, only the original Lyr, not the Lyr2.)

Jul 15, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #7,103 of 23,494
Hey Guys, 

Selling out a bunch of tubes from my stock - e188cc's, e88cc's, CCa's, Mullard Blackburns, rb2013's HG's & Voskhod rockets... Link is below: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/774707/tubes-for-sale-cca-hg-e188cc-e88cc-ecc88

Jul 16, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #7,104 of 23,494

That's a nice one.  Let us know how it works out.

Tube Storage box arrived today.  Filled it up with tubes...

Now start filling the next one.

Jul 18, 2015 at 2:24 PM Post #7,105 of 23,494
I swapped out the factory tubes in the Lyr 2 for some new matched Gold Lions. "Liquidity"  and "air" improved, plus, there's greater pace and articulation.  The newly burned in HE1000's are a nice match with this amp and tube complement.

I'll be trying several other tubes over the coming few weeks.

Jul 19, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #7,106 of 23,494
Sir
Tube Storage box arrived today.  Filled it up with tubes...

Now start filling the next one.
you may have a problem:wink: one day at a time.

Jul 19, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #7,108 of 23,494

It does look like a very nice box to use for tube storage. But unfortunately, I would need about 20 of them. lol :)

Speaking of which, these arrived recently, E182CC/7119, pinched waist, Heerlen, 1958. (ID0 ⊿8J and ID0 ⊿8K). Has anyone tried them in a Lyr? They have a different pinout than the E188CC, so an adapter is necessary to reroute the pins. (Unfortunately, with 0.6A heaters, only the original Lyr, not the Lyr2.)

Nope! How do they sound?

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #7,109 of 23,494
Hello guys, I just recently bought a 1975 6N23P Reflektor SWGP tube in mint condition, I thought I would share my impressions since I've heard this tube spoken about on this thread with such high regard (I was using these on my Project EMber 2.0 amp with HD 650 'cans and a decent DAC). Be prepared for a surprise.

JJ ECC82 (stock tube with Ember 2 amp)
Clarity: 5.5/10. THD: 7/10 (higher THD is worse). Bass: there but somewhat muddy / not a pleasing presentation, maybe be a bit rolled off in the subbass. Energy: 2/10. Impact: 2/10. Overall impression not even on the same playing field as being 'refined', weak soundstage & impact 'slam', sounds like very high THD resulting in a very very fake-'ish sound. My ranking 2/10

1975 6N23P Reflektor SWGP Silver Shields (somebody called this a 'Holy Grail'???)
Clarity: 5.7/10. THD: 6.5/10. Bass: able to reproduce proper bass frequencies including sub-bass, but muddy and not at all a pleasing presentation. Energy: 3/10. Impact: 2.5/10. Overall impression about 20% more refined than the above: improved clarity, soundstage, FR & impact than the above by about 20%, but remains 'unlistenable' to me and much, much much more to be desired in a sound signature. My ranking: 3/10.

For a little background, I am a music producer, and with my interactions with Head-Fi'ers at meets and online I have found myself to be an especially analytical listener. And as far as the reason I have rated the 'holy grails', so lowly, it's simply because I have tried to many other hi-end setups at meets and of my own, so for me, the bar for what I expect out of sound has been raised all the way to the Woo Audio / Eddie Current / Stax / Yggy level.

So after a long, critical listen to the Reflektor tubes, I put in the stock ECC82 tubes shown at top, which made me realise the Reflektor was only about 20% more refined. Next I had popped in my 'Franker Ember' tube setup into the Ember amp, which consists of dual Ken-Rad 7193 tubes connected via both a 6SN7 and 7193 adapter, and WOW, wow, wow! I know this defines logic but my brain kept shouting out a number: "48x better!" I noticed an improvement all across the board: far superior dynamics, larger / more lifelike soundstage, energy, realism & detail, dramatic enough to make me so I'll never touch the Reflektor again.

Then into the stratosphere of sonic perfection (all IMO), the Liquid Carbon amp sounds twice as good as the Ember 2 setup above, and the Eddie Current Zana Deux sounds almost twice as good as the LC, and (I've heard) that the Eddie Current Studio wasn't even in the same league as the Zana Deux. Here are these absolute TOTL multi-thousand dollar tube amps from Eddie Current:

So as you can see there is amazingly greater potential for sound that can be had than the first 2 entry-level tubes mentioned above. I'm leaning towards giving up on tubes of those size, because IMO, the general rule of thumb is that larger tubes sound better. And since the Schiit Lyr and Project Ember may both use the same type of tubes, I'm willing to bet that the awesome 7193 tubes would be possible on the Lyr amp. But it would have to be connected to the Lyr as two separate tubes rather than the dual 'Franken Ember' setup, so you'd have to do some checking for possible adapters to use for it, and the case may need to be removed from the Lyr to make them fit.

If anybody's still interested to buy a Reflektor tube, send me a PM and I'll be happy to sell it.

Jul 19, 2015 at 10:19 PM Post #7,110 of 23,494
Huh... what? The size of the tube has no overall effect on how the amp itself will sound... The larger tubes are power tubes, the smaller ones are driver tubes... different jobs for the tubes to do. If you prefer amps which use the larger tubes in their power circuit, that might make a bit more sense. I was just a bit confused with your wording... for example, the ZD has large power tubes, but also a small 6AS7G which both have an effect on the sound. I would strongly urge you to not give up on a tube based on its size 
tongue_smile.gif

The BW is a SS amp, so different than the ZD, which is an OTL which works best with high Z cans like the 650's. I suspect the Lyr >> Ember, especially without tubes, but I haven't heard the Ember, so I don't really have a comment on that. I personally trust rb's comments on the design of the Lyr/Lyr2 vs the other amps, even if they were deleted and etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back