Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jul 21, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #7,128 of 23,494
It is important to remember that DecentLevi did not use the HG in a Lyr. He has a different amp. And aside from the fact that everyone has different ears, it may well be that the HG simply doesn't sound all that good in his amp. However, I would agree that there is a very large and strong consensus that the HG is a top-tier tube in the Lyr.

Exactly. One man's queen is another man's sweat hog.

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #7,129 of 23,494
My yellows are keeping me in tube heaven Billy. Lol
The only move I'd ever make is those gems that you have!
:beerchug:
You don't see these CCa's , everyday. Lol

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281755115544&alt=web

Intriguing, Sam. The old Sam would jump all over those. How about the current day Sam ?

Jul 21, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #7,130 of 23,494
My yellows are keeping me in tube heaven Billy. Lol
The only move I'd ever make is those gems that you have!
:beerchug:

Ah, the legendary "yellows"!!! You know I don't have anything in my little ol' collection that can touch those bad boys. Enjoy 'em Sammy. Hope you're healing up better than new too.

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #7,131 of 23,494
You don't see these CCa's , everyday. Lol

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281755115544&alt=web

Drool.  Nice to see he lowered his shipping cost 
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #7,132 of 23,494
@gibosi - got the Mullard ECC804s yesterday, rolled them today.  After a little more than three hours, I like them, esp. for the price.  Nothing stands out as lacking through my HE-500s.  The bass is esp. nice and solid; great presence without bloat.  Sound stage is really nice.  But it's early days yet.  I'll run them for at least 100 hours, then I gotta roll the 1959 Valvo (Hamburg) 'D' getter E88CCs 
biggrin.gif
  Got those yesterday, too, but I had to roll the ECC804s first, just to confirm they work.  It does seem that I need to give them a bit more on the volume knob, esp. compared to the Telefunken E88CCs I had be running, but nothing crazy.  "Noon" is about the limit with these cans.  The HE-560s will probably require 1 to 2 o'clock.

Thanks for the tip on these 
beerchug.gif

If anyone's interested, here's the best link I found googling "Mullard ECC804": myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g8hqp/audio/valvedist.html
A bit technical, but an interesting theory.

There's an excellent article linked to at the top of that page.  It leads here: http://www.john-a-harper.com/tubes201/ ("Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work)

Jul 21, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #7,133 of 23,494
Very interesting. I hate when this happen$. LOL
@gibosi
- got the Mullard ECC804s yesterday, rolled them today.  After a little more than three hours, I like them, esp. for the price.  Nothing stands out as lacking through my HE-500s.  The bass is esp. nice and solid; great presence without bloat.  Sound stage is really nice.  But it's early days yet.  I'll run them for at least 100 hours, then I gotta roll the 1959 Valvo (Hamburg) 'D' getter E88CCs :D   Got those yesterday, too, but I had to roll the ECC804s first, just to confirm they work.  It does seem that I need to give them a bit more on the volume knob, esp. compared to the Telefunken E88CCs I had be running, but nothing crazy.  "Noon" is about the limit with these cans.  The HE-560s will probably require 1 to 2 o'clock.

Thanks for the tip on these :beerchug:

If anyone's interested, here's the best link I found googling "Mullard ECC804": myweb.tiscali.co.uk/g8hqp/audio/valvedist.html
A bit technical, but an interesting theory.

There's an excellent article linked to at the top of that page.  It leads here: http://www.john-a-harper.com/tubes201/ ("Tubes 201" - How Vacuum Tubes Really Work)

Jul 21, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #7,137 of 23,494
Thanks my friend. I'll have to look into these particular tubes.....
Notice how I said "Look"? LOL
wink.gif

You may look, but not touch 
wink.gif
  There's a British seller that has Mazdas.  They list on eBay, but it's cheaper to get them directly from their web store.  There's an Italian eBayer who has Ediswans.  Not many details from either seller.  You have to buy two and hope.  That's about it for eBay.  I got the only pair I saw listed.  Fortunately, the bidding was quite light.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #7,138 of 23,494
  @gibosi - got the Mullard ECC804s yesterday, rolled them today.  After a little more than three hours, I like them, esp. for the price.  Nothing stands out as lacking through my HE-500s.  The bass is esp. nice and solid; great presence without bloat.  Sound stage is really nice.  But it's early days yet.  I'll run them for at least 100 hours, then I gotta roll the 1959 Valvo (Hamburg) 'D' getter E88CCs 
biggrin.gif
  Got those yesterday, too, but I had to roll the ECC804s first, just to confirm they work.  It does seem that I need to give them a bit more on the volume knob, esp. compared to the Telefunken E88CCs I had be running, but nothing crazy.  "Noon" is about the limit with these cans.  The HE-560s will probably require 1 to 2 o'clock.

I was pretty sure these would be good in the Lyr, but it's an especially sweet feeling when a hunch turns out to be true. :)

But to clarify, to the best of my knowledge, every ECC804 was manufactured by Brimar. It was never manufactured by Mullard or any other Philips subsidiary. Further Tungsram didn't make them either. Only Brimar. So it doesn't matter what brand you see on the tube, whether it be Brimar, Mullard, Mazda, Ediswan or what-have-you. They are all from the same factory. However, I have noticed that on some tubes, the shield is gray, and on others, it is silver. While I have not investigated to see if there is a sonic difference, it might be best to be sure the shields are the same.

And your impressions mirror mine, but of course, in a different amp. To help others, I would say that that the sonic signature of the Brimar ECC804 is intermediate between Mullard and Heerlen, not as warm as the Mullard and not as bright and lush as the Heerlen. Very good bass, a bit of warmth and fairly liquid, a very nice tube. :)

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #7,139 of 23,494

I was pretty sure these would be good in the Lyr, but it's an especially sweet feeling when a hunch turns out to be true. :)

But to clarify, to the best of my knowledge, every ECC804 was manufactured by Brimar. It was never manufactured by Mullard or any other Philips subsidiary. Further Tungsram didn't make them either. Only Brimar. So it doesn't matter what brand you see on the tube, whether it be Brimar, Mullard, Mazda, Ediswan or what-have-you. They are all from the same factory. However, I have noticed that on some tubes, the shield is gray, and on others, it is silver. While I have not investigated to see if there is a sonic difference, it might be best to be sure the shields are the same.

And your impressions mirror mine, but of course, in a different amp. To help others, I would say that that the sonic signature of the Brimar ECC804 is intermediate between Mullard and Heerlen, not as warm as the Mullard and not as bright and lush as the Heerlen. Very good bass, a bit of warmth and fairly liquid, a very nice tube. :)

Good stuff.

Jul 21, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #7,140 of 23,494
So are these similar to the 6GA8?

I have never seen a tube labeled 6GA8, but that is the correct American designation for the ECC804. I have seen these tubes labeled as B729, 6/30L2 and ECC804. And rarely, I have seen them labeled as Mazda 6CG7, but this is an incorrect. The 6CG7 and 6GA8 are similar, but not the same. But it seems back in the day, someone at Brimar/Mazda had this great idea of labeling these as 6CG7 and selling them in the US! lol :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back