Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 13, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #4,591 of 23,494

I use chopsticks, much sturdier than a coffee stirrererer.  As if I needed a reason to grab lunch at Chef Wang's...

Good idea. I prefer the flatness of the coffee stirrer but I have chopsticks so they can be my backup utensil.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #4,593 of 23,494
Has anyone bought tubes from eskimofridge through eBay? I'm tempted by not sure about having tubes shipped from another country.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #4,594 of 23,494
Has anyone bought tubes from eskimofridge through eBay? I'm tempted by not sure about having tubes shipped from another country.

I've bought a couple pairs from him.  No problems.  Just one man's experience, of course.  7543 @ 100% positive feedback, so surely that says something.  Funny, both pairs I bought from him are 'D' getters.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #4,595 of 23,494
Thanks for the feedback. It shouldn't be a problem then I guess.

On another note, I do have a few tubes that should be coming in this/next week for the Lyr. I'll have the Amperex 7308 NOS green label and some Voshod Rockets.

Is there anything else that should be considered that's of decent value? I do know there are some tubes that cost upwards of $400+ but I think that's too much considering I don't have totl headphones anymore. I'm in the no more than 200 for a set price range. That should give me a decent budget for a couple of different set of tubes

Jan 14, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #4,596 of 23,494
I'm really tempted to get this guy to guard my Glass Menagerie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Hero-Collection-Getter-Dragon-Getter-D-/141540662295

or this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Shogun-Warriors-Mini-Figure-Super-D-Getter-Robo-2-5-7178-/331318257578

biggrin.gif

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #4,597 of 23,494
  I'm really tempted to get this guy to guard my Glass Menagerie

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Hero-Collection-Getter-Dragon-Getter-D-/141540662295

or this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandai-Shogun-Warriors-Mini-Figure-Super-D-Getter-Robo-2-5-7178-/331318257578

biggrin.gif

Lol... Good find, keep us posted. 
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #4,600 of 23,494

I've got the CAIG kit Bob mentioned, and it's definitely worth it.  The soaker cups are pretty handy for the D25 (? the liquid that isn't the Gold).  Give non-gold-pinned tubes a 6-8 hour soak, then clean with a swab (I like the cosmetic swabs that have two different shapes on the end; you can really get in-between the pins with the pointy cone tip).  Once that runs out, and it will, even if you manage to get most of it back in the bottle, you can use the really strong isopropyl alcohol (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BWYNIDO) and swabs with wood shafts (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00841Z8JA).  I've been doing this for the past few months and it works great.  Sometimes they come back black, even from gold pins, sometimes the pins are clean.  It's worth doing regardless of how clean the pins look.

The alcohol on a swab is a great way to clean up dirty tube glass, too.  The three CV2492s I got recently were filthy.  Took a few swabs, but they look much better now.

Once you're happy with the cleaning of the pins, brush on the DeoxIT Gold, let it sit a few minutes (I usually give it 10-15), then use the lint-free squares in the kit to wipe off the excess.  Don't let the excess Gold sit on the pins, as I've ready stories about it clogging the receptacles in socket savers and sockets.  I've used this method on every pair I've put in my Lyr and never had a problem.  The only reason I haven't bought the kit again is because the isopropyl alcohol + wooden swabs works great, and the small bottle of Gold is still going strong.

CAIG doesn't offer too much detail on proper use, but common sense will serve you well.

HTH.

+1 I've used the Gold on lot's of stuff besides tube pins  - RCA interconnects (the outside of the female - never on the male), speaker connectors, etc...  I love this stuff.  Don;t confuse this is the more exotic Silver/Gold Xtreme coatings - that could create a short if not applied correctly.  It does give a short term - but noticeable jump in dynamics - but has to be reapplied.  I found it not worth the long term effort - but for the brave, courageous or just stupid here is the link.

https://app.audiogon.com/listings/tweaks-xtremeav-s-liquidation-sale-quicksilver-gold-2-5gr-contact-enhancer-free-shipping-2014-12-29-accessories-92629-monarch-bay-ca

This CAIG kit is pretty good guys. I applied the regiment to the 75 Grays pins and put them back in the Lyr. Now I am cycling my other tubes through the same routine. Here are some pics for those that are interested in what the kit and process looks like:

The kit, the cups are being used to soak tube pins - see next pic:

@rb2013, in the pic above the pins on the tube on the right are fairly darker in color. While there is no issue with sound quality, but is this normal for these vintage tubes to not have a nice finish on them? The matched rocket on the left has a much better finish on the pins, looks like it was gold plated or something.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #4,601 of 23,494
Hi everyone,  I've just purchased a Lyr2 from Headphone Bar here in Canada & while I'm waiting for it I checked out Joe's tube lore - audioasylum list of recommended tubes which appears on pg 1 of this thread.  After reading this interesting & informative/educative list I made a choice to try and get the following tubes : GE 5751-WA Black Plate.  

So I have a question and need your help please : would these tubes be compatible w/Lyr 2 ?  Good to join a new thread & looking forward to the discussions.

Thanks, awaiting your expert feedback.  

popcorn.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #4,602 of 23,494
Welp, I have my tubes, my lyr2 is gonna arrive today and supposedly today my deoxit is gonna be here today. I am only missing my socket saver by novib which is in the mail. How long for any of you did it take, that ordered the novib socket saver to arrive by USPS? Mine was shipped off monday and today is friday, I have a slight feeling it might be here today as well. But ? remains for shipping time for others.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #4,603 of 23,494
  Welp, I have my tubes, my lyr2 is gonna arrive today and supposedly today my deoxit is gonna be here today. I am only missing my socket saver by novib which is in the mail. How long for any of you did it take, that ordered the novib socket saver to arrive by USPS? Mine was shipped off monday and today is friday, I have a slight feeling it might be here today as well. But ? remains for shipping time for others.

Hey hifi nub thanks for mentioning the "novel socket savers".  I just ordered a Lyr2 & knew about the socket savers but couldn't remember what they were called.  I just ordered a pair.  They truly are a blessing to have.  I remember a couple of years ago trying to remove a tube from the Valhalla I had then.  The tube was so hard to remove that it broke.  Thankfully I had another 6N1P spare tube on hand. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #4,604 of 23,494
  Hi everyone,  I've just purchased a Lyr2 from Headphone Bar here in Canada & while I'm waiting for it I checked out Joe's tube lore - audioasylum list of recommended tubes which appears on pg 1 of this thread.  After reading this interesting & informative/educative list I made a choice to try and get the following tubes : GE 5751-WA Black Plate.  

So I have a question and need your help please : would these tubes be compatible w/Lyr 2 ?  Good to join a new thread & looking forward to the discussions.

Thanks, awaiting your expert feedback.  

popcorn.gif

The 5751 is NOT  compatible with the Lyr2 or Lyr1, Thurton has posted a list of compatible tubes here on this thread. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #4,605 of 23,494
List of supported tubes by @ThurstonX:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/3405#post_10942771

Users who are viewing this thread

Back