Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Jan 5, 2015 at 1:34 PM Post #4,456 of 23,494
I may consider selling my '74 Reflector SWGP's for the price I bought them from Bob.

Are you sure you want to do that? Remember how you were kicking yourself for selling the '75 Voskhods last year.
wink_face.gif

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #4,457 of 23,494

Here is a link to my review comparing the 6N23P's to the Amperex - including the legendary '59 D getter USN pinched waists

Cheers!

Page 149 - post #2229

http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/2220

PS The best vintage 6N23p's are getting harder to find.

Thank you and sorry as I can't find the Part 2 of your mini-review where the Amperex tubes should be described. Could you point me to the relevant post?

Do you mean that only the best vintage 6N23p's can compete with Amperex tubes in terms of sound quality (especially for Lyr for LCD-2?)

Jan 5, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #4,458 of 23,494
Are you sure you want to do that? Remember how you were kicking yourself for selling the '75 Voskhods last year. :wink_face:

Not an easy decision but yes for the reasons I stated. Like I said, I preferred them over the '75 HG's. They deserve to be used. Have another non-audio purchase I need to make.
Anyone in CONUS that's interested in the '74 Reflektor SWGP's, PM me.

Jan 5, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #4,459 of 23,494
Thank you and sorry as I can't find the Part 2 of your mini-review where the Amperex tubes should be described. Could you point me to the relevant post?

Do you mean that only the best vintage 6N23p's can compete with Amperex tubes in terms of sound quality (especially for Lyr for LCD-2?)
No really any of the better '70s can compare to the middle line Amperex's

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #4,460 of 23,494
No really any of the better '70s can compare to the middle line Amperex's

What would be the 'Russian' equivalent for Amperex Orange Globe (late '60s) sound quality wise?

Have you eventually posted the Part 2 of your tubes mini-review? I really can't find it and I would love to read your impressions of Amperex tubes. Thanks!

Jan 5, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #4,461 of 23,494
I can now appreciate the appeal to the Voskhod Rocket 6N23P.  Best bang for the buck tubes.
Compared to the E88CC Siemens, they are slightly thicker in the mids (more upper bass and lower mids). It's got more of a tube sound.  
More musical.  The Siemens sound more clean, detailed, transparent and holographic but lack that warmth. 
I can see why it works with the HD800. 

As for sound characteristics from warm to neutral (or bright spectrum): The Telefunkens are somewhat in the middle between Voskhod and Siemens. 

With more burning in, I'm sure the Voskhod will become more detailed and holographic. At least I hope. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #4,462 of 23,494
How many hours are you at? I'm at around 60. Mine have opened up tremendously. According to rb2013, they're not full potential until 100/200 hours,I think.
I can now appreciate the appeal to the Voskhod Rocket 6N23P.  Best bang for the buck tubes.
Compared to the E88CC Siemens, they are slightly thicker in the mids (more upper bass and lower mids). It's got more of a tube sound.  
More musical.  The Siemens sound more clean, detailed, transparent and holographic but lack that warmth. 

As for sound characteristics from warm to neutral (or bright spectrum): The Telefunkens are somewhat in the middle between Voskhod and Siemens. 

With more burning in, I'm sure the Voskhod will become more detailed and holographic. At least I hope. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4,463 of 23,494
How many hours are you at? I'm at around 60. Mine have opened up tremendously. According to rb2013, they're not full potential until 100/200 hours,I think.

About 6 hours. It doesn't have that open sound yet.  Still sounds closed compared to the Siemens. Feel like the Voskhod has to much bass for LCD-2. 

Jan 5, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #4,464 of 23,494

re: tube chasing, it's true.  I've filled my boxes with lots of variety, and now I'm done.  Honest, honey! I'm done! (Sure you are, dear. Now buy me that Louis Vuitton bag).  Yes, dear.

re: Clouds o' Simulated Tubes, see how vinyl is coming back?  Well, I never let go of my vinyl, though I don't buy it anymore.  It'll be the same with tubes.  Someone will consumerize all those fancy digital effects that musicians and studios use, and they'll be up in the Cloud and on your Holographic Thumbdrive Projector With Isolated 3D Surround Sound (suck it, Gates, that's © & ® me).  Then people will start up with physical tubes (again!), and it'll be the Third Coming of the Holy Valve.  And I'll still have mine 
wink.gif
  And yes, I'll have a quantum computer by that point, too.  Ya gotta keep your bases covered.

Moral of the story?  Roll on, brothers!

lol

You're crazy!
atsmile.gif

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #4,465 of 23,494
  What would be the 'Russian' equivalent for Amperex Orange Globe (late '60s) sound quality wise?

Have you eventually posted the Part 2 of your tubes mini-review? I really can't find it and I would love to read your impressions of Amperex tubes. Thanks!

Sorry I never finished that review (the Amperex PQs and Bugle Boys) as I lost interest in listening to them for an extended amount.  The other three tubes were just in another class by themselves.

As to which Russians are 'equivalent' to the OGs - well I's say none.  Maybe in the same price range - but they have different sound characteristics.

Many folks in this thread's history have commented on the Voskhods after having owned the OG's.  Many prefer the VR, some the OGs - it does come down to taste.

Jan 5, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #4,466 of 23,494

They'll open up as they burin - most noticeable in the first 100 hrs.  But will keep getting better out to 200 hrs.  The Voskhods should start to converge with the Tele's as they burnin.

The Siemens E88CC are really nice tubes - and usually more expensive then the Voskhods. 

As you move up the range of the Voskhod Rocket 6N23P they get more detailed - the '75 grays and silvers at the top of my list.

For those curious here is a link to my original review on the old thread page 574, post #8606
http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/8595

Happy Rolling!
beyersmile.png

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #4,468 of 23,494

Sorry I never finished that review (the Amperex PQs and Bugle Boys) as I lost interest in listening to them for an extended amount.  The other three tubes were just in another class by themselves.

As to which Russians are 'equivalent' to the OGs - well I's say none.  Maybe in the same price range - but they have different sound characteristics.

Many folks in this thread's history have commented on the Voskhods after having owned the OG's.  Many prefer the VR, some the OGs - it does come down to taste.

Not the OG's, but I did go from Bugle Boys to Rob's Voskhods, the Voskhods were significantly superior in every way. The BB's were more euphonic, lacked air and bass, still great tubes, but inferior.

Jan 5, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #4,469 of 23,494

Well at one point, several years ago I had a near sota analog set-up.  VPI Super Scout Master Signature, VPI speed controller, Dynavector XVS1, etc...

And have a large collection of LPs both new (200gm and 180gm pressings) and old.

The process of playing an LP was tedious with that setup so I decided to digitalize the collection at ultra hi res.  I'm very meticulous when I do serious listening - so here was the process to listen to one LP - take the LP destat, demag, clean, place on table, outter ring clamp, center weight, VTA height adjustment, etc... Crazy, but sounded glorious.  Now I just click my mouse or select with my tablet in Foobar!  I run playlists of albums I've digitalized (at 32bit 176K).

I did keep a reasonably good system for new LP purchases (just got Spoon's new 'They Want My Soul' and Arctic Monkey's 'AM').

My new rig is a vintage Dual 721 with an Ortofon 2M Black - feeding a modded (Mundorf Silver/Oil caps) Jolida JD9.  It's pretty good - and I still digitalize every LP when purchased.

Old rig:

New rig

PS And for amps in my two speaker driven systems - heavily modded (by me) Bada Purer SE 3.3 class A intrgrateds.  Modded with Mundorf Silver/Gold/Oil caps

After mods:

PS: Link to my DAC Mod Project thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/740362/lite-dac60-pcm1704-r2r-tubed-dac-mod-project

Thanks for sharing the Pics and the experience. I am not really sure why I am getting all interested in Vinyl, albeit there seems to be a bit of a frenzy now with youngsters flocking to Vinyl and even Amazon offering vinyl shopping and delivery to your doorstep. The last time I saw a turntable was probably 30 years ago, nonetheless, the fidelity of the sound and the fact that its not sampled and going from a notch in a groove directly to analog, really intrigues me.

Whats funny about this whole thing and my newly found interest in tubes and turntables is the fact that I spent most of my career, and adult life for that matter, as a digital evangelist. You don't even want to know what my major was in college 
wink.gif
 To me it seems logical that the best sound reproduction will be one that has not been converted or sampled into the digital domain. You lose detail when you sample, albeit a high sample rate can reduce the overall loss, but still a turn table is going from an etched groove to an analog signal - keeping that signal in the analog domain to your integrated amp then speakers with no digital seems like the best sonic experience to me.

Jan 6, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #4,470 of 23,494
Can I perhaps add some levity to this current "what is the best tube" frenzy going on. First off, "THERE IS NO BEST TUBE". Anyones "best tube", "holy grail", really is dependent on any individuals exploration of the choices available to them. There are many so called "HOLY GRAIL" tubes. Although RB2013's HG is the 75, Reflektor, SWPG, I have owned that tube, bought from him, and sold back to him. See my recent ratings here. Newbs tend to "pursue", THE BEST, or what they discern is the best! Your headphones, DAC, Amp, tubes, interconnects, all synergize a particular sound. THEN, your EARS and personal likes and dislikes filter that sound into what we hear, like or dislike!!!! Bob has more experience and exotic gear than anyone here can possibly duplicate. His opinions and evals are incredibly researched and important, however, they are still his personal opinions, and unobtainable regarding his gear, that no one else can duplicate, irregardless of Bobs personal preferences.
My advice, Bob has some important and incredibly wonderful tubes, a great value. Are they "the best", certainly for him they are, and for some here on the forum they are. Are they the best for everyone, of course not. Anyone who has explored the full range of what is out there, including Bob, may come to another conclusion. "Joe's Tube Lore", Brent Jesse's site, Upscale Audio, TubeMonger, etc all have detailed descriptions of many of the tubes we discuss here. Explore, enjoy, research!! My opinion, Bobs $100 and less tubes are the best available in that price range!!!    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back