Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 25, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #4,231 of 23,494
Yah sad if Kevin's team attitude starts costing them customers or us tubes.
Don't understand any level of elitism in our small audiophile market- but some seem to thrive from it.

Luckily my tube drawers are stocked, don't need much else from Upsxale except backup Telef E88CC if I panic.

Dec 25, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #4,232 of 23,494
I'm new here, just joined today and this will be my second post after posting in the introductions thread. I bumped into this particular thread yesterday and have probably read over a hundred pages and I think my brain may be swollen.

I have just gotten some Sennheiser HD600 headphones and a first version Schitt Lyr amp which will be plugged into an Oppo 103 for my critical listening, I will run the headphones through a Denon X1000 for TV and less critical listing where they work well for such. I have not yet tried the 600's with the Lyr but my RCA cables should be here tomorrow and I sure am looking forward to trying this setup out. I will add that I have been without headphones for over thirty years and I think my last ones were Koss, which were very good at the time, and I have no experience with headphone amps or tubes.

My Lyr came with some stock Russian tubes and some upgraded GE 6BZ7's also from Schitt, but after reading what I have in this thread it appears I may find alternative tubes more pleasing, so I would like to ask your recommendations for my specific setup with these headphones from that source.

If someone could summarize the previous two hundred and eighty two pages by listing the top three or five tube sets for my application it would be greatly appreciated and I would will be thankful.

Here are a couple I have been looking at on eBay but don't really know how well they would fit, or if they are a good deal or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-GOLD-PIN-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-PQ-ORANGE-VACUUM-TUBE-1967-CLOSE-MATCH-PAIR-917-/221612756853?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3399264f75

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-12AU7-ECC82-VACUUM-TUBE-BUGLE-BOY-1963-MATCH-PAIR-CHECK-TEKTRONIX-A38K-/321586872502?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ae01240b6

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #4,233 of 23,494
astark, welcome.

You need to provide more info re: what type of sound you prefer (neutral, warm, etc.) & where your primary listening preferences tend to lean (rock/ classical/ jazz/ electronic, etc.). Do you like prominent bass, a trebly sound. etc.?  Different tubes emphasize different strengths & weaknesses. 

Personally, I would sample the 2 pair of tubes that you have to determine a baseline from which to work. Have fun with your new toys!

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #4,234 of 23,494
Thank you brother love, right now I tend to listen to progressive rock the most, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson and his other mixed stuff, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Moody Blues, Jethro Tull, Joe Bonamassa, Dave Mathews, but like just about everything.

I guess I like a loud clean detailed sound without background noise hiss or hum or distortion. I like everything from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows and everything in between, with clarity and precision. I want to hear all instruments and vocals separately and distinctly as they blend together for a moving experience. Its hard to describe what I like but its probably close to what was intended by the artist. And I like to become part of the music.

I hope to begin with the stock tubes tonight and have already fitted the Schitt provided GE's to the amp, and will try their Russian ones as well, but am already interested in what the next couple of steps up from those would be.

Again, thank you for your advice and insights, it is greatly appreciated. 

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #4,235 of 23,494
  I'm new here, just joined today and this will be my second post after posting in the introductions thread. I bumped into this particular thread yesterday and have probably read over a hundred pages and I think my brain may be swollen.

I have just gotten some Sennheiser HD600 headphones and a first version Schitt Lyr amp which will be plugged into an Oppo 103 for my critical listening, I will run the headphones through a Denon X1000 for TV and less critical listing where they work well for such. I have not yet tried the 600's with the Lyr but my RCA cables should be here tomorrow and I sure am looking forward to trying this setup out. I will add that I have been without headphones for over thirty years and I think my last ones were Koss, which were very good at the time, and I have no experience with headphone amps or tubes.

My Lyr came with some stock Russian tubes and some upgraded GE 6BZ7's also from Schitt, but after reading what I have in this thread it appears I may find alternative tubes more pleasing, so I would like to ask your recommendations for my specific setup with these headphones from that source.

If someone could summarize the previous two hundred and eighty two pages by listing the top three or five tube sets for my application it would be greatly appreciated and I would will be thankful.

Here are a couple I have been looking at on eBay but don't really know how well they would fit, or if they are a good deal or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-GOLD-PIN-6922-6DJ8-ECC88-PQ-ORANGE-VACUUM-TUBE-1967-CLOSE-MATCH-PAIR-917-/221612756853?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3399264f75

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-12AU7-ECC82-VACUUM-TUBE-BUGLE-BOY-1963-MATCH-PAIR-CHECK-TEKTRONIX-A38K-/321586872502?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4ae01240b6

I am in sort of similar situation. I just got the Lyr for my HD650 a few days ago and it came with a pair of Pinnacle ECC88 tubes. My sources are laptop playing flac, going to Modi by USB and then to Lyr. There was a great improvement in sound compared to the LD MK3 that I already have (running stock tubes I think).

I also bumped into this thread and have read through pages of pages of discussions. I don't remember if I have read anything about Pinnacle ECC88. Since I have nothing else to compare to so I am wondering how these tubes compare to the others.

I also have a Hifiman EF2A amp that came with a pair of 6AK5 tubes. I thought they sounded good. But I was more impressed by the Mullard CV4010 tubes that came with the LD MK3. So I am wondering if Mullard tubes would also perform better than the Pinnacle on the Lyr.

I searched eBay and found some sub $100 Mullard ECC88 tubes, such as:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matched-Pair-Amperex-By-MULLARD-6DJ8-ECC88-GT-BRITAIN-E88CC-6922-7308-TUBES-/131385795889?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1e97342531

I would like to know if these are going to be an upgrade from the Pinnacle's.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and comments.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #4,236 of 23,494

Just for reference, the second tubes you listed (12AU7 - ECC82) will not work in your Lyr.  Hopefully you haven't ordered them yet, or can cancel if you did.  If you read back a page or two, I posted a list of compatible types, and Oskari made it even better a couple posts after that.  I strongly recommend you use that list as a base reference when searching for tubes for your Lyr.

HTH, welcome to the club, and sorry about your wallet.

Here's Oskari's cleaned up version of the list:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/4215#post_11159200

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #4,237 of 23,494
Thank you ThurstonX and fortunately I had not ordered anything yet.

I will try out the tubes that came with my Lyr but am interested it what might be an upgrade to those.

Again, thank you so much.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #4,238 of 23,494
Also, I have just saved that list as a most valuable resource, anticipating it would get harder to find as this thread grows.

And this question may be hard to answer, but could someone rank order from that list what would best meet my needs by the above information on what I listen to and like with equipment identified, if so that would be greatly appreciated and possibly of value to others as well.

Again, thank you so much.

Dec 26, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #4,239 of 23,494

I've had great success with the vintage '70's Voskhod Rockets - the 6n23p version - they're equivalent to the 6922 and work great in the Lyr.  Many can be found for $50/pr.  The best ones are of course more expensive.

Not only do you have this thread with hundreds of pages - but the old one as well.

Here is a link to my review from the old thread : http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/8595
page 574, post #8606

Welcome and Happy Rolling!

beyersmile.png

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #4,240 of 23,494
Thank you rb2013, I have to run out for a bit but will check when I get back. I had heard some great things about you in this thread and others, and I am honored you would reply as well as the others have.

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #4,242 of 23,494
  Thank you rb2013, I have to run out for a bit but will check when I get back. I had heard some great things about you in this thread and others, and I am honored you would reply as well as the others have.

Good lord, don't inflate the guy's ego any more!  He's already a legend in his own mind 
wink.gif

I kid, of course.  @rb2013 is a mensch 
beerchug.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #4,244 of 23,494
+1 on these tubes.
I've had great success with the vintage '70's Voskhod Rockets - the 6n23p version - they're equivalent to the 6922 and work great in the Lyr.  Many can be found for $50/pr.  The best ones are of course more expensive.

Not only do you have this thread with hundreds of pages - but the old one as well.

Here is a link to my review from the old thread : http://www.head-fi.org/t/549508/schiit-lyr-the-tube-rolling-thread/8595
page 574, post #8606

Welcome and Happy Rolling!

:beyersmile:  

Dec 26, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #4,245 of 23,494
  I also bumped into this thread and have read through pages of pages of discussions. I don't remember if I have read anything about Pinnacle ECC88. Since I have nothing else to compare to so I am wondering how these tubes compare to the others.

Pinnacle was a rebrander, not a manufacturer. You must first find out who made the tubes. We may be able to help if you post good photos.

Users who are viewing this thread

• GSI
Back