Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 27, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #4,261 of 23,494
If you're interested. I have one pair left of my Voskod's. They're 1977 6n23p,Grey shields. I'm letting them go for $40 shipped for the pair.
I can't see any other markings or date code on the tubes. They do make the Lyr sound pretty decent to me at the moment, I don't have much experience with the tube amps. I can only compare the Lyr to the LD MK3 and EF2A that I have and the Lyr has the better sound.

I will probably going to get a pair of sub $100 Amperex or Voskhod and to compare them with the Pinnacle. Thank you so much for all the useful information.

Happy New Year.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #4,262 of 23,494

Photos that show the frame construction and getter toward the top, and avoid the printing, would be the most helpful.  Also, if there are any marking on the bottom between the pins, that could help.

Took a couple of more pictures of the Pinnacle tube. It doesn't seem to have any markings on the bottom of the tube.

It's not screaming out, "I'm an Amperex!" or anything like that, at least not to me.  The getter flashing at the top is interesting.  Extends pretty far down and is fairly uniform, but again... Do you see any other markings on them, esp. near the bottom?  If you're not familiar with factory codes and such, you can always search eBay for "Amperex ECC88" where you should find plenty of listings with photos that show said markings.  mercedesman (Tube Hunter is his eBay store) often has good photos.  He uses the US designation of 6DJ8 (ECC88 being the European equivalent).  His store is easy to search, with tube types listed on the left side.

A telltale sign of Philips tubes are seams at the top of the tube.  Often four are plainly visible, sometimes two seams (opposite each other) are visible, while the other two are fainter, but can be discerned.

It's tough to tell you what to look for, if you're not already familiar with some basics.  Without factory markings, or something internal, it can be really tough.

Hey guys,

You don't see me often on this forum thread anymore but I occasionally peek in from time to time.  Also, the guys from TubeMonger do follow the thread and have asked me to pass on some good info from time time.  This time, it's related to the Pinnacle Tubes you've been looking at.  They asked me to pass this on:

"Just FYI, the tube in the following post is Matsu****a ECC88/6DJ8. Fine tube and lower grade than Matsu****a E88CC/6922.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/4245#post_11163171"

They are a good source of information (and tubes too
wink_face.gif
).  Hope this helps...

Cheers and Happy New Year!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #4,263 of 23,494

Hey guys,

You don't see me often on this forum thread anymore but I occasionally peek in from time to time.  Also, the guys from TubeMonger do follow the thread and have asked me to pass on some good info from time time.  This time, it's related to the Pinnacle Tubes you've been looking at.  They asked me to pass this on:

"Just FYI, the tube in the following post is Matsu****a ECC88/6DJ8. Fine tube and lower grade than Matsu****a E88CC/6922.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673709/schiit-lyr-tube-rollers/4245#post_11163171"

They are a good source of information (and tubes too
wink_face.gif
).  Hope this helps...

Cheers and Happy New Year!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Thanks for the post, and Happy New Year to you and the TubeLurkersMongers 
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #4,264 of 23,494
and Uncle Kevin at Upscale raises the prices of the Telefunken E88CC again by $10 each.
I am done with wanting backups of tubes with escalator prices based on "lowering stock".

for all we know there is another case of Telef E88CC in a warehouse.....

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #4,265 of 23,494
  I really wanted something that said EDISWAN (
redface.gif
), and these were the only ones that came up on eBay that were compatible.  Wasn't willing to throw $200+ to Uncle Kev for what he has (and only has cryo-treated left), even if a few Head-Fiers called them their end game tubes.

Do you mean his "Ediswan" CV2492s? Look at the photo. Same tubes as your KB/ADs.

Also, it's fun to collect and try various types from "Oskari's List" 
wink.gif

It's not my list (either).
tongue.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #4,267 of 23,494
Originally Posted by ThurstonX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That "allowed up to" throws a spanner in the June 1968 date from the eBay link.  The 'F' for June makes sense, but if that format started in 1945, less the use of I and O, ZF equals June 1969, but still conflicts with "allowed up to."  But UG would be July 1964 (U is 21st letter minus 2, so 19th... 1945 + 19 = 1964).  I can live with that 
smily_headphones1.gif
  The ZF is the odd tube out, so I'm less concerned about its pedigree, but "enquiring minds want to know" 
wink.gif

You can safely ignore the "allowed up to" part, others did (probably with a permission).

You may want to recheck the years. I think U = 63 and Z = 68.

Originally Posted by ThurstonX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This
http://www.tubecollector.org/cv/1963/cv2462-cv2549.pdf
makes me wonder about the 'AD'.  Not sure what the "GOV. SPEC." column refers to.

The AD there means that the authority responsible for the CV specification of the type was the Admiralty.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #4,268 of 23,494
  Do you mean his "Ediswan" CV2492s? Look at the photo. Same tubes as your KB/ADs.

It's not my list (either).
tongue.gif

Well, my CV2492s are not labeled EDISWAN or any other brand, though they did come in the real red and yellow Brimar boxes.  Doesn't mean they are.  Not sure who ran that factory (Rochester, if my research is right).  No, my EDISWANs are from the Spanish cryo guy in Malaga.  I paid about $50 with shipping, and to me that was a steal.  So I've fulfilled my EDISWAN craving, and my CV2492 craving.  Saw a pair of CV2493s, and I'm sorely tempted, but we shall see.

DUDE! You're the last to edit it, so it's YOURS!  Nah, I'm kidding, as before with the ""s and the 
wink.gif
  But I do appreciate your edits, as should others looking to expand they're Lyr-compatible collection.

beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #4,269 of 23,494
Well, my CV2492s are not labeled EDISWAN or any other brand, though they did come in the real red and yellow Brimar boxes.  Doesn't mean they are.  Not sure who ran that factory (Rochester, if my research is right).  No, my EDISWANs are from the Spanish cryo guy in Malaga.  I paid about $50 with shipping, and to me that was a steal.  So I've fulfilled my EDISWAN craving, and my CV2492 craving.  Saw a pair of CV2493s, and I'm sorely tempted, but we shall see.

DUDE! You're the last to edit it, so it's YOURS!  Nah, I'm kidding, as before with the ""s and the :wink:   But I do appreciate your edits, as should others looking to expand they're Lyr-compatible collection.

:beerchug:

I need to try Ediswan cv2492 sometime. This hobby real does drain the wallet lol:)

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #4,270 of 23,494

You can safely ignore the "allowed up to" part, others did (probably with a permission).

You may want to recheck the years. I think U = 63 and Z = 68.

The AD there means that the authority responsible for the CV specification of the type was the Admiralty.

Yep, I suck at math 
redface.gif
  but if that pair from '63 work out, I'm pretty happy with the price.  Maybe I can sell the single from '68 and recoup a little.

Thanks for the explanation of the AD.  I wonder how I can determine the factory... or does the "AD" on the tube indicate the factory, as I read somewhere?

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #4,271 of 23,494
I need to try Ediswan cv2492 sometime. This hobby real does drain the wallet lol:)

You'll need some luck to find them anywhere but Upscale, so I wish you all the luck 
smily_headphones1.gif
  But you needn't limit yourself to Ediswan.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #4,272 of 23,494
Upscale has low stock on Ediswan, only cryogenic pairs left at limited matched values.

Ran into this when one of mine died 3 months ago, and Upscale didn't have stock to do a real good 10% matched value to my functional tube.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #4,273 of 23,494
Upscale has low stock on Ediswan, only cryogenic pairs left at limited matched values.

Ran into this when one of mine died 3 months ago, and Upscale didn't have stock to do a real good 10% matched value to my functional tube.

Thanks for the heads up,.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #4,275 of 23,494
  http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-CV5358-6922-ECC88-EDISWAN-Audio-Tube-/201031165576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ece642688

This guy seems to have 100's of them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1Pc-CV5358-6922-ECC88-EDISWAN-Audio-Tube-/201031165576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ece642688

From what I'm reading, the CV5358 is an equivalent to the ECC88, not the E88CC/6922.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ECC88-CV5358-BRIMAR-NOS-BOXED-/310087990709

Users who are viewing this thread

Back