Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Dec 26, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4,246 of 23,494
Holey smoke !! Just tried my new headphones with the amp, stock GE tubes by the way, and all I can say is amazing !!

I mean I'm talking chills here, sweeter than I ever expected, I'm blown away !!

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #4,247 of 23,494
  Holey smoke !! Just tried my new headphones with the amp, stock GE tubes by the way, and all I can say is amazing !!

I mean I'm talking chills here, sweeter than I ever expected, I'm blown away !!

Sounds like you'll be saving some money then 
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:26 PM Post #4,249 of 23,494
  Not necessarily, I'm already wondering if they could sound even better, and if so could I take it :)

LOL.  Just mind your step around the edge of the rabbit hole.  It's a slippery slope down to needing three boxes to hold all your tubes 
wink.gif
  And yeah, I'm pretty sure you could take it 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #4,250 of 23,494
Just got a set of three CV2492s and I'm having trouble finding any solid factory/date code info.  Here's what they say and what I've gleaned thus far:

2x KB/AD  <UP ARROW> over UG
1x KB/AD  <UP ARROW> over ZF

'K' is an identifier, perhaps for civilian use (a 'J' would indicate military)
'B' for Britain (other letters for US or Oz)
'AD' = the Thorn-AEI (Brimar) Rochester Plant

According to this
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Decipher-Codes-on-Tubes-Valves-Mullard-Brimar-Military-/10000000008041563/g.html
'ZF' is June 1968, so UG could be mid-60s, I guess, assuming that 'ZF' is really 1968.

Anyone have any links to good British tube data?

TIA.

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #4,254 of 23,494

Thanks.  LOL, I'd bookmarked that, but failed to comprehend

"Alternatively two letters were used. This was allowed up to January 1st 1965. In this scheme the first letter A = 1945 and so on, and the second letter A=January and so on. Letters I and O were not used. Thus AA = January 1945, NF = June 1957."

That "allowed up to" throws a spanner in the June 1968 date from the eBay link.  The 'F' for June makes sense, but if that format started in 1945, less the use of I and O, ZF equals June 1969, but still conflicts with "allowed up to."  But UG would be July 1964 (U is 21st letter minus 2, so 19th... 1945 + 19 = 1964).  I can live with that 
smily_headphones1.gif
  The ZF is the odd tube out, so I'm less concerned about its pedigree, but "enquiring minds want to know" 
wink.gif

This
http://www.tubecollector.org/cv/1963/cv2462-cv2549.pdf
makes me wonder about the 'AD'.  Not sure what the "GOV. SPEC." column refers to.

ATM I'm really groovin' to a pair of Ediswan 6BQ7As I snagged a while back from a Spanish eBayer, IIRC.  They've passed 200 hours, and I listened at the beginning, was forced to take a break, then finally got back to them today.  Euphonic is a good word for them.  I like their sound stage presentation, and they are quite mid-centric.  Guitars and vocals take center stage, and overall I'd say they have a warm signature.  Can't recall what I paid, but I hope it was under $100.  I really wanted something that said EDISWAN (
redface.gif
), and these were the only ones that came up on eBay that were compatible.  Wasn't willing to throw $200+ to Uncle Kev for what he has (and only has cryo-treated left), even if a few Head-Fiers called them their end game tubes.  Also, it's fun to collect and try various types from "Oskari's List" 
wink.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #4,255 of 23,494
By the way, where to get boxes to hold my tubes?

I've posted a few photos of tube boxes I've constructed.  I just used cardboard that various things ordered online came with, and lined them with seat cushion foam or whatever I had lying around. You can find them in this thread.

If you're looking for individual tube boxes, eBay should be able to hook you up with the plain white ones.  Just make sure you get the ones for 6DJ8/ECC88, et al., as there are different sizes.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #4,256 of 23,494

I took a picture of the Pinnacle tube. Not sure if it would be helpful. Thanks.

Photos that show the frame construction and getter toward the top, and avoid the printing, would be the most helpful.  Also, if there are any marking on the bottom between the pins, that could help.

Dec 27, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #4,258 of 23,494

Took a couple of more pictures of the Pinnacle tube. It doesn't seem to have any markings on the bottom of the tube.

It's not screaming out, "I'm an Amperex!" or anything like that, at least not to me.  The getter flashing at the top is interesting.  Extends pretty far down and is fairly uniform, but again... Do you see any other markings on them, esp. near the bottom?  If you're not familiar with factory codes and such, you can always search eBay for "Amperex ECC88" where you should find plenty of listings with photos that show said markings.  mercedesman (Tube Hunter is his eBay store) often has good photos.  He uses the US designation of 6DJ8 (ECC88 being the European equivalent).  His store is easy to search, with tube types listed on the left side.

A telltale sign of Philips tubes are seams at the top of the tube.  Often four are plainly visible, sometimes two seams (opposite each other) are visible, while the other two are fainter, but can be discerned.

It's tough to tell you what to look for, if you're not already familiar with some basics.  Without factory markings, or something internal, it can be really tough.

Dec 27, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #4,259 of 23,494

It's not screaming out, "I'm an Amperex!" or anything like that, at least not to me.  The getter flashing at the top is interesting.  Extends pretty far down and is fairly uniform, but again... Do you see any other markings on them, esp. near the bottom?  If you're not familiar with factory codes and such, you can always search eBay for "Amperex ECC88" where you should find plenty of listings with photos that show said markings.  mercedesman (Tube Hunter is his eBay store) often has good photos.  He uses the US designation of 6DJ8 (ECC88 being the European equivalent).  His store is easy to search, with tube types listed on the left side.

A telltale sign of Philips tubes are seams at the top of the tube.  Often four are plainly visible, sometimes two seams (opposite each other) are visible, while the other two are fainter, but can be discerned.

It's tough to tell you what to look for, if you're not already familiar with some basics.  Without factory markings, or something internal, it can be really tough.

I can't see any other markings or date code on the tubes. They do make the Lyr sound pretty decent to me at the moment, I don't have much experience with the tube amps. I can only compare the Lyr to the LD MK3 and EF2A that I have and the Lyr has the better sound.

I will probably going to get a pair of sub $100 Amperex or Voskhod and to compare them with the Pinnacle. Thank you so much for all the useful information.

Happy New Year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back