Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers
Nov 7, 2014 at 4:12 PM Post #3,872 of 23,494
when you buy them from somewhere and they have grades like platnium and gold.........is there a big difference?

and cryogenic  treated........is this a big plus to get that done?

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #3,873 of 23,494
when you buy them from somewhere and they have grades like platnium and gold.........is there a big difference?

and cryogenic  treated........is this a big plus to get that done?

That cryogenic crap is basically snake oil, I was on that site reading the reasons it helps sound, all of them are BS lol.

They mention microphonics and other noise will be less apparent in the higher grade tubes, but gold would probably be perfectly fine if you want to save money.

Nov 7, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #3,874 of 23,494

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tube that can offer a thicker, more lush, mid-centric presentation (as compared to the '70s Rocket logos, which seem to offer soundstage, details, and extension), without significantly compressing the soundstage or sacrificing too much detail? I'm thinking of hunting for an alternate pair that can make my HE-560 sound a little more lush like the HE-500, for when I'm in the mood for vocal-centric music.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you guys can give. Thanks!

Mullards seem to have that reputation.

Amperex 6922 d getter pinched waists! The Euphonic kings. You can read my review of the Best Russians vs several Amperex tubes on pg 142 post #2129, and pg 149 post #2229.

Maybe the OG's?

Reviving an old question about euphonic sounding tube recommendations. I listened to my friend's WA7 setup last night and really enjoyed the euphonic (albeit less detailed) sound of his setup. Going back to my Bifrost/Lyr/'74 Reflektor setup, I was definitely hearing more detail and dynamics, but less forward and less liquid mids which I realized that I really do enjoy at times.

I tried a pair of OGs briefly but ditched them because they were very noisy, and my issue with that pair was that the bass was kind of loose and lacked impact. Have other people had the same experience with the OGs? Does anyone have any other recommendations for a euphonic tube with respectable bass that won't break the bank (i.e. not the D-getter pinched waists)? From my brief reading of this thread it seems like the OGs are the current go-to bduget tubes for this type of sound signature.

Nov 7, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #3,876 of 23,494
I'm looking for a tube set to compliment an ODAC>Lyr>HE500 and HD650. Can you guys help? Priorities (in order) are as follows:

1. I'd like deep, extended, well-defined bass.
1A. Superb detail and seperation are an absolute must.
2. Transparency
3. Good soundstage and imaging
4. Sweet/pretty midrange would be nice

Other notes/nice-to-haves:
I really love to hear the bass guitar a little forward
I like a little extra boost in the 3.5-4k region for extra guitar crunch, if possible
I tend to get fatigued if the 5.5-6k region is too forward, so I don't mind a little recession there

Nov 8, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #3,877 of 23,494

1960's TELEFUNKEN E88CC / 6922  are considered great for this amp right?.......compared to the stock tubes

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #3,879 of 23,494

1960's TELEFUNKEN E88CC / 6922  are considered great for this amp right?.......compared to the stock tubes

I think it's safe to say that you'd get a unanimous YES! were everyone who's heard both responded.  Given the difference in price, they'd damn well better sound great 
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #3,880 of 23,494
I think it's safe to say that you'd get a unanimous YES! were everyone who's heard both responded.  Given the difference in price, they'd damn well better sound great :wink:

Yes I love my Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, however I am still planning to try the current production Telefunken EK tubes. I have been running my Dad to chemo so much, that I spaced out ordering.

Nov 8, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #3,881 of 23,494
I'm looking for a tube set to compliment an ODAC>Lyr>HE500 and HD650. Can you guys help? Priorities (in order) are as follows:

1. I'd like deep, extended, well-defined bass.
1A. Superb detail and seperation are an absolute must.
2. Transparency
3. Good soundstage and imaging
4. Sweet/pretty midrange would be nice

Other notes/nice-to-haves:
I really love to hear the bass guitar a little forward
I like a little extra boost in the 3.5-4k region for extra guitar crunch, if possible
I tend to get fatigued if the 5.5-6k region is too forward, so I don't mind a little recession there

A good budget tube that has nice bass extension without bloat or bleeding into the mids, And compared to the stock tubes, the sound is nice and detailed, all the instruments are separated nicely, and thus the soundstage is a bit larger, more holographic. But the best tube are the Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes.

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #3,882 of 23,494
How do the Telefunken tubes compare to the Russian 6H23-EB tubes? I think I'll have an easier time parting with $130 than $370, lol.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #3,883 of 23,494
Yes I love my Telefunken E88CC platinum tubes, however I am still planning to try the current production Telefunken EK tubes. I have been running my Dad to chemo so much, that I spaced out ordering.

sorry to hear about that

i went through that with my dad last year and it is terrible so....even though i dont know you or him i hope the best for you all

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #3,884 of 23,494
sorry to hear about that

i went through that with my dad last year and it is terrible so....even though i dont know you or him i hope the best for you all

Second that thought, I moved to help my Dad and Mom while he had pancreatic cancer. He passed three years ago, miss him every day.

Red dog, God Bless, my prayers are with you and your Dad.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #3,885 of 23,494
Second that thought, I moved to help my Dad and Mom while he had pancreatic cancer. He passed three years ago, miss him every day.

Red dog, God Bless, my prayers are with you and your Dad.

my dad had colon cancer.............and died in January

but anyway, yea i feel bad for anyone who has to go through that stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back